Isn't it Ridiculous that You Cannot Position App Icons as You Please Even in IOS10?

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by opeepingtomo, Oct 9, 2016.

1. opeepingtomo macrumors regular

We are in the 10th generation of iOS, and the functionality to position app icons (leave blank spaces / rows) doesn't exist natively in the OS.

Why??????

2. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

No position of ICONS is totally irrelevant - function is important. Amazing that this is still important to anyone

3. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I feel this is nothing more than a cosmetic change and wouldn't be worth the extra coding resources that would be spent implementing such a feature. And, remember, any new code can also bring in new software bugs.

I suppose, if someone were that unhappy with the icons, one could move to a different system. Just a thought.

4. off_piste macrumors 6502a

Disagree. I like having gaps between icons to help me more quickly identify certain icon groups. Accessibility-wise you can have less than a full screen of icons and keep often-used apps at the bottom of the screen.

And cosmetically, a lot of times I would arrange my icons around my wallpaper. For instance, I have a great picture of my daughter that icons always cover her face.

Frankly, it's absurd that something so basic including changing the number of rows and columns isn't supported except by jailbreaking the damn phone.

5. Verks7 macrumors newbie

I agree. There are too many basic customization features not available on IOS. But you have to remember Apple's IOS has never been about customizing it's about function as mentioned before. It's more or less something you have to live with

6. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

Actually do agree with the OP, not a fan of over customisation but if there is one thing I'd like to change on iOS customisability it would be to move the icons and folders down so they are easier to reach without reachability.

7. Jayson A macrumors 68000

And how do you suppose landscape mode would treat these sporadically placed icons?

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

You can group by page (blank spaces/rows at the bottom of each page ARE allowed).

You can group by, well group, those group icons when expanded can have blank spaces/rows at the bottom of each page too.

So it does exist to some degree. Obviously YMMV as to whether its enough...

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's not how iOS is designed.

10. off_piste macrumors 6502a

I don't know, maybe revert to a standard matrix at first then remember whatever layout the user chooses? This is, quite literally, not rocket science and not complicated code.

11. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

It's ok to disagree, not everyone feels the same way about everything. Just realize that everything you've posted here is nothing more than your personal opinion.

12. Verks7 macrumors newbie

Apple is pretty stubborn in their ways. So many things they implement are years behind other OS's. They are often careful to a fault to bring features to the table. Way too careful. Don't get me wrong they do it very well but too slow to the punch.

Widgets for example just became relatively useful on iOS. They need work but eventually they make a difference in day to day use. Average iOS users probably won't use them but if implemented correctly they will gain popularity.

As far as the original post I wish I could have an option to place icons and folders where "I" want them. It would help customization and improve experience.

I also wish I could make the widget screen my home page. I know it's only a swipe away but having that info there as soon as I turn on the phone would be helpful.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Things might not be implemented to someone's liking, that doesn't mean that they are somehow "behind" because they are different. Things can be improved and some can be added, but in a lot of cases it's not because they are behind or bad, but because that's the design of the particular OS, which is evolving with time.

Widgets have been useful from the fist day. Can they be expanded and improved and are there people that want something different/more from them? Sure. Does that mean that they haven't been useful or are simply not good? No, mostly just different.

Same goes for icons and other customizations. Are there people who want more and can there be more options? Sure. Does the fact that there are fewer options and set ways of placing things means the OS is behind or bad? No, again, mostly just different.

14. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I think there's a good chance that Apple may relent on this. But it's a design choice. Just like you can't change the placement of your radio buttons or swap the gas and brake pedal placement in your car. What makes this different is that icons aren't physical and Apple COULD allow the user to change the spacing if they wanted to.

15. will90039 macrumors member

I'd rather Apple allow you to customize how many columns (I want 5 instead of 4) and expand the silly 3x3 folder matrix to take the whole screen. So much wasted real estate! Pretty much the only reason I still jailbreak these days.

16. sethlution macrumors regular

Am I the only one who like the auto layout thing? I think it looks cleaner

17. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

18. maxsix, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016

maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Apples obsession with control, their incessant need to dictate, the jealousy over Googles popularity prevents Apple from using any of Androids many advantages.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 9, 2016 ---
    Functionality is far better when one is free to group icons in a manner that is logical and useful for the user.

However this requires independent thinking, logic and reason. The complacent user would rather let Apple dictate to them.

19. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

To be honest. I see why some people would want it. But it wouldn't work for when phones are in landscape mode. I already hate how it adds the extra icon per row when you put it sideways. Can't imagine looking at it with blank app spaces.
    Also, I think because of landscape mode, I think that's why would never be able to place widgets on the actual app grid

20. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

Ah, actual logic instead of the bizarre, "it's because Apple are Hitler and hate Google" we see in the post above yours.

21. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I would guess easiest solution would be to just rotate icons 90 degrees in place, rather than re arrange them as currently.

22. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

A few people want to make some funny pattern with their icons. Millions of people would be annoyed if this happened unintentionally.

23. Nozuka macrumors 68000

not really. they copied many things from android. (and vice versa)

but it really is interesting how little has changed on the home screen since the first iphone.

we got folders, some 3D Touch additions... anything else?

24. lovewd macrumors 6502

lovewd

At this point if you aren't used to it, switch to android. This has been a thing in iOS since the beginning so there's no way you could have just found out about it