Isnt the iPad 4 a bad investment? Or is this the Flagship iPad Apple will keep around

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KittyKatta, Oct 26, 2012.

1. KittyKatta, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

This isnt an attack, its a purchase decision. I sold my iPad 2 so I am ready to buy a new iPad but havent made a choice because in evaluating the lineup then the iPad 4 feels outdated even before it's released? Here's my reasoning for why I'm having a hard time picking the iPad 4:

• iPad Mini, iPhone 5 and even the iPod Touch feel like the same family of products (Beveled edges, slate, thin bezels) but the iPad4 looks out of place and outdated
    • iPad Mini and iPhone 5 use new manufacturing process with bonded glass but iPad 4 uses old reflective glass & glue method
    • A6X is nice but the A5X was never considered "slow" (until now)
    • Lightning is nice but accessories cost more (Camera Kit split to two $29 purchases, no 3rd party cables, no actual speed benefits)
    • They used the same thicker casing as the iPad 3
    • Cost seems pretty high and overdue for a price reduction or storage increase (Drop 16GB and $499 should be 32GB)
    Im not saying the iPad 4 is bad but considering this is Apples flagship iPad then it just doesnt feel like it has what it takes to represents Apple's current lineup until October 2013.

(BTW. Im likely getting a Mini. Im curious about the size and it seems like it would get outdated slower) :D

Attached Files:

2. mac jones macrumors 68040

The 4 is golden IMHO

Why? Because its the one they wanted to release in the first place, but couldn't.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Investment: The action or process of investing money for profit or material result.

So yes.:D

4. Markdek macrumors member

Look at the iPad 2 life span; apparently when they "get it right", it will be longer.

Clearly, w/ all the problems w/ the ipad 3, it was destined to have a short life.

In my opinion, the iPad 4 will have a good life, if they (Apple) have truely addressed/fixed all of the past issues.

The iPad 2, if you own one, continues to be useful.

The iPad 3 refurbished, is a poor man's compromise.

Get the iPad 4, if you want it and can afford it.

Get the Mini if you like to look at small screens (life span likely to be short).

5. tann macrumors 68000

I agree with this, I think they must have been having issues with the A6. Though they surely could have pushed back the release, but lose out on a lot of sales & the competition since the release of it has been pretty high.

6. KittyKatta thread starter macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Good point, but if this is to be the model that will stick around until late 2013 then doesnt it feel a bit lacking? Im not saying it lacks anything specifically but if this was released in Spring 2013 on schedule then would this be praised or result in a lot of backlash for not really improving anything other than the chip.

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Just enjoy the things in life. You can't keep up with tech. Whatever you can afford, go for the best. You will be happy.

8. KittyKatta thread starter macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

May I ask what was wrong with the iPad3? I owned one for a little but sold it due to it not being much of an improvement over my iPad 2. And, until now, Ive heard nothing but good things about it so what did the iPad 4 address?

9. 314631, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2012

314631 macrumors 6502a

iPad 4 is the best tablet any company has ever made. It is a truly incredible product and in no way is this a bad investment. You'll enjoy many months of amazing experiences before the next iPad is released.

10. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

Depends on how you define an investment. Yes, all Apple products lose value but they don't lose them as quickly as other products. Out of curiosity, I checked eBay and saw the original iPad, 16GB wifi version, selling for over $200. Holding 40%+ of its value after 2 1/2 years and 3 updates is pretty good.

If I were to sell mine for $200 today it would be like I rented / leased it for $10 a month. I can live with that.

11. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

The form factor for iPad 4 does look out of place. Wouldn't surprise me if it is refreshed before the 1 year is up again.

Unless Apple is releasing something brand new, what do they have in store for spring?

Mac Pro??? Apple TV??? Macbook refresh??? Are those enough to warrant another keynote event?

Maybe a thinner and lighter iPad is due in 6 months time. (just speculating)

With the naming convention dropped for the iPad, it can refresh as frequently or less frequently as the Macs.

None of the iPad(s) or technology is an investment, just the matter of which one of them loses value faster :)

12. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Is there an apple product that's not in danger of being outdated fairly quickly?

Also, get used to the connector. It's the standard for the next 10 years, bro. And I think it's way better than the 30-pin.

1. smaller … allowed room for new products to be smaller; ipad mini, iphone 5
    2. reversible … which is a big deal when you fumble in the dark to plug it in
    3. possibly faster charging
    4. dynamic pin assignment

of course the next one will be thinner and lighter, just like the one after that

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I think that Apple will keep this model around for a year. I don't see an upgrade happening in the spring.

14. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

1. Faster CPU that will give those that play games a better experience and addresses we hope the lag that was reported in some games, on some sites.

2. Improved WiFi as has been mentioned that is a plus

3. FaceBook HD over the current iPad 3 that many would like as well.

Now we have to see what the reviewers have to report later in a week or so

15. tann macrumors 68000

They've said Mac Pros are coming(hardware), maybe they will also do this music streaming thing (software), new iOS and maybe a new desktop OS (if they have moved to yearly releases - also software).

The highly speculated television set? That's hardware too, they may upgrade the Apple TV from a hobby to something more? MacBooks will likely get updated whenever the new intel processors release... Who knows...?

16. Liquinn Suspended

I'll be doing a review of the 16GB wi-fi model iPad 4 when I get mine next Friday. :)

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

the mac pro!

:D

As for the ipad 4, I'd like to see how heat and battery life are. I thought both were noticeably worse on the ipad 3 as compared to the 2 (which is why I have kept my 2 up until now).

18. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

19. VFC macrumors 6502a

The iPad 5 will probably be released March-April of next year now that Apple is in a ragging battle with Android and Win 8 tablets. I would think the biggest change would be the weight. The iPad 3 and 4 are just too heavy. That is the main reason I use my Nexus 7 rather than the iPad 3. I can't even give it to my wife. She uses a Kindle reader and when I had her try the iPad 3, she said "You have to be kidding".

So if I were you, I would wait just a little longer for a device that will be more enjoyable to use and offer more years of service.

20. Markdek macrumors member

The fact that they broke their "1 yr update cycle" to "fix it" is evidence enough, plus all the posts about problems with heat, the size, battery charge time, weight, screen issues, lag issues, etc. As others have said, the new iPad 4, appears to me, to be the product they wanted to release back when. Doesn't any of this seem apparent to you?

21. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If you are buying your iPad (or any other good) with the expectation it will grow in value over time, then yes terrible investment. That's what an investment is.

What you are doing is spending money, i.e., consuming goods. That is where the name "consumers" comes from. Apple stock attracts "investors," whereas the Apple Store attracts "consumers."

Now whether its a wise use of your money, that is the question you are really asking. I'd say if you feel uncomfortable about the purchase then its not a good use of your money.

22. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

except size and weight are the same, and we have no idea whether they've addressed the heat, charge time, and screen issues. I assume the A6X addresses any lag.

23. Skika macrumors 68030

It certainly has the old design cues.

The 2013 iPad will basically be an current iPad Mini but bigger.

And with some extra features.

24. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

GTFO! You're saying this is lacking but you don't know why? What is wrong with you? Have you considered maybe it's not lacking anything?

As with any piece of tech, buy it if you have a need for it and will use it. No point buying something just to own it. You sound like you do not know what you'll do with it, so don't buy it.

25. Markdek macrumors member

Question: does the iPad 4 have that "new" screen Apple was going to move to? If not, be ready for a thinner/lighter refresh in 2013.