Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone joe

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
NY
Who says 1GB of RAM another's says 2GB of RAM, this is getting crazy now.

Isn't there anyone who can tell me the amount of RAM in this thing?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

Nobody has an iPad Air 2 right now. Nobody will know until someone picks it up first and check, which won't happen until early next week.

Just wait.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Ok.

Another question.

Why do Apple not include this information in their Keynotes ?

Lots of other information is supplied in the Keynote ~ so why not this !

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
Because it doesn't matter...

It is the difference between having a glorified paperweight and a full fledged tablet computer, so it should matter. The original Air was somewhat crippled due to too little sRAM, plain and simple.
I realised this major hardware shortcoming when the iOS update that came after the Air was introduced did nothing to improve it. At that point I got rid of the Air to make place for the new one. Now I'm just waiting for confirmation of 2gb sRAM before I pull the trigger.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Honestly, iPad only ends up using 10mb of RAM so 1gb is way too excessive, which makes it irrelevant. So, "it doesn't matter".

I can't verify or refute your claim but must add that to some it does matter what RAM is along with say for example looking at how much capacity of memory a computer / laptop / phone has etc.

It's an important spec that many now look for.

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Lots of people are going to buy one if it has 2gb.
Lots of people are not going to buy one if it does not have 2gb.
Lots of people are going to buy one EITHER WAY.
But, if Apple wants to sell a ton they better have put 2gb in it, because that will be the only chance I ever buy one.
Wanted the Mini but that thing is so outdated its not even funny.

bobbba

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
It is the difference between having a glorified paperweight and a full fledged tablet computer, so it should matter. The original Air was somewhat crippled due to too little sRAM, plain and simple.
I realised this major hardware shortcoming when the iOS update that came after the Air was introduced did nothing to improve it. At that point I got rid of the Air to make place for the new one. Now I'm just waiting for confirmation of 2gb sRAM before I pull the trigger.

I've had my air since launch and it's always performed just fine. 1gb, 2gb it doesn't matter to me if it performs ok and it always has in my opinion so...

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
why dont you just ask it from apple? surely they are obliged to give all information before a customer makes decision to buy or not to buy. or is apple exception?

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Lots of people are going to buy one if it has 2gb. bingo
Lots of people are not going to buy one if it does not have 2gb. Bingo
Lots of people are going to buy one EITHER WAY. Bingo
But, if Apple wants to sell a ton they better have put 2gb in it, because that will be the only chance I ever buy one. Ditto
Wanted the Mini but that thing is so outdated its not even funny. Ditto

I've had both the original Mini and R-Mind and were my most used Apple devices the past 2 years. Bought the 1st generation Mini even though it was "Gimped" with Inferior display resolution & Gamut (I suffered through). Bought the R-Mini even though it was still "Gimped" with inferior gamut (I suffered through). Tim Cook forgot to send me a customer satisfaction card on the R-Mini....wasn't 100% satisfied. I Sold the R-Mini 3 weeks ago in anticipation of updated Mini (huge disappointment). So now what to do?

Buy the Mini 3? No way!
Re-Buy a cheap Mini 2? No way way!
Re-Buy a cheaper Mini 1? No way way way!

Buy the Air 2? Possibly, even though I don't really want a full sized tablet (I value portability). I'll consider "only" if it has 2GB....then (in my mind) it stands a chance of having longevity....like that of the iPad 2. In my mind, we are nearing the end of the line when 1GB will be sufficient for an iPad.....honestly, I think we're already there. Like you, I'll wait and confirm before purchasing.

As a fall back position I've pre ordered the Nexus 9. If no 2GB in the Air, I'll stick with this decision and take a lick off the lollipop for the next year....then reconsider!

Last edited:

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
I've had my air since launch and it's always performed just fine. 1gb, 2gb it doesn't matter to me if it performs ok and it always has in my opinion so...

Sure, to each his own, enjoy your Air!

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
why dont you just ask it from apple? surely they are obliged to give all information before a customer makes decision to buy or not to buy. or is apple exception?

Some people originally thought quills and chalk would be all they would ever need for written communication.

Some people are just short sighted.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Ok.

Another question.

Why do Apple not include this information in their Keynotes ?

Lots of other information is supplied in the Keynote ~ so why not this !

I think that the fact they said nothing is a pretty good sign it will only have 1GB of RAM.

I am betting that even if it did have 2 Gb, it would still not solve the problem.

Maybe next year.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Honestly, iPad only ends up using 10mb of RAM so 1gb is way too excessive, which makes it irrelevant. So, "it doesn't matter".

10mb? I highly doubt it. Most of the apps I've worked on use 5-30mb of memory themselves, so imagine the amount of memory all the stock apps & services of the OS itself require.

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Job's reality distortion field is still working if we believe ram does not matter. Of course it does.

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014

iFixit Friday.

everything else is BS.

(at least I think it's friday :eek: )

Then again, there might be a leak. We only have one blurry one presently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.