Israel Continues to Harass Palestinian Civilians

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AP_piano295, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Funny, how NATO has plenty to say about the Arab spring (even helping Libya) yet has let the Palestinians suffer pretty much in silence for decades.

2. Squadleader macrumors regular

3. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Agree.

4. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Please dont start this crap about righteous Israeli government, this is a humanitarian issue. And how convenient of you to ignore those Israeli air strikes which killed dozens of Palestinian civilians.

5. Squadleader macrumors regular

There is no crap to start...I ignored nothing...There is plenty blame to go around....But the title seems to suggest, ahh, never-mind....

6. remmy macrumors 6502a

The title means what? If it was Israel continues to harass armed militants then the discussion would be different, but this is about Palestine civilians living under the Israel dictatorship.

7. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you, this action by Israel does nothing to improve their security.

It does however highlight the true goal of Israeli government to systematically destroy the Palestinian state and people through embargo, military action, and general harassment like this.

I'm against all violence, but acts like this don't inspire any confidence in me that if Palestinian militants would just lay down their arms an agreement could be reached.

8. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Conflating in the actions of "the other side" is generally allowed in the PRSI. However, Palestinian attacks are de facto tolerated, if not morally imperative. Ergo, you must look at the "bad acts" of the Israeli government in a vacuum.

9. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Israel is directly targeting civilian populations, there is no military objective here.

10. Happybunny macrumors 68000

This does not surprise me.

Israel policy in the occupied lands is remisant of South Africa pre Apartheid.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Israel bad, palestine good. thats what it boils down to here.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Or Palestine bad, Israel more bad (and backed by US mega dollars and disproportionate in their force against an entire people).

13. Squadleader macrumors regular

Selective moral outrage at it's best....

14. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Living on land that they have "occupied" instead of negotiating a sovereign state, meanwhile they launch terror attacks on their neighbors because they refuse to negotiate a peace. You say tomato, I say tomato.

Embargos aren't for security, but to put pressure on people to do the right thing... finally. It's been decades since that land was separated from European control, and Israel was created. It should be easy to sit down and negotiate the peace.

Or, perhaps, they just want to be left alone safe in their own borders. If their motive were anything even remotely close to what you suggest, they would have been able to do that faster than they could be stopped.

That goes for both sides.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

isn't that basically how all countries have been formed through history?

16. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

In some cases yes, which begs the question, why don't the Palestinians get their act together and sit down with Isreal and their other neighbors to create a sovereign Palestinian state. Oh, I forgot, because they want to destroy or take over Israel.

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

The problem with that is the other party refuses to engage in any meaningful negotiation.

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Cite? My understanding of the history of that relationship has been Israel's repeated willingness to negotiate and even agree to concessions, with the Palestinians walking away from the negotiations due to pressure from their more extreme elements. I would guess that Israel also has had its fair share of negotiations that it sabotaged, but I'm not familiar with them.

19. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Israeli has used the tactic of prolonged and generally useless negotiations from the beginning of the establishment of the state. The efficency of the Israeli PR machine means those who consume corporate media (especially in the US ) have no idea of the actual situation.You would gain an understanding by reading such books as The Gun and the Olive Branch by David Hearst or Chomskys Fateful Triangle.There are thousands of sources on Israels behaviour during negotiations,they are easily found.Here's a couple of links to relatively recent interviews with Chomsky (you may think they are illegitimate because they are from IOA ) :

http://www.israeli-occupation.org/2...omsky-israels-war-against-palestine-now-what/

http://www.israeli-occupation.org/2009-01-24/noam-chomsky-obama-on-israel-palestine/

20. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Israel has the backing of the US. They can do no wrong :cool:

21. eric/ Guest

eric/

What I always find interesting is that this was the fault of the British, initially and then the US turns around and supports this so much while the British are more "meh" about it.

But yeah, this whole situation is just stupid. Religion is the main problem here.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, the problem is the selective rewriting of history.

23. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

no, the real problem is that none of the parties are prepared to engage in any meaningful negotiation.

people continually refer to the Palestinians as though they're one entity with one set of representatives that can speak for them....and engage in meaningful negotiations...but that's simply not true. The internal power struggle among the Palestinians is far more important to their leaders than anything else on the agenda, especially something like meaningful negotiations with the israelis.

24. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Palestine has the backing of the PRSI. They can do no wrong :cool: