Israel denies "hits" in Dubai

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lord Blackadder, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

There's no proof of course, but the target and pattern of the assassination resembles a Mossad operation.

Why are we "allies" again?

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

no proof? well that's proof positive right there! :p

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because of the holocaust.

4. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Good enough for me! Where do I get my silky white robe and pointy hat to join the fun?

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

State of Israel is getting more and more ridiculous.

It has Nuclear weapons, it assassinates people in and outside its boundary. When will people stand up and do something about it?

Blaming Iran for "nuclear operation" is so ridiculous when you intentionally play dumb with Israel's nuclear weapons. How exactly do people expect Iran to take this double standard willingly?

6. 184550 Guest

The only thing that bothers me here is their choice of passports. Surely they could have been a bit more careful and have used different passports.

7. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I honestly fail to see why anyone would have an issue with a Hamas leader being assassinated. Honestly, it's not like Hamas is on some peace mission, unless firing rockets into Israel is considered peaceful.

Don

8. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

This is the exact same logic used to reason why the States invaded Iraq. Or why the government should be allowed to snoop on your phone calls.

9. toontra macrumors 6502

Corrected that for you Don.

10. 184550 Guest

So you're saying that what Hamas does is legal? At least acknowledge the wrongs on both sides.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

a) It hasn't been carried out in Israel.
    b) Because its not due-process under Israeli law.

12. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

How is it the same logic? I'm just saying that Hamas is recognized by many governments and organizations as a terrorist organization.

Also, the man who was assassinated was the founder of Izz ad-Din al-Qassam (the military wing of Hamas). Qassam has taken credit for attacks that have killed civilians. Also, he was a known weapons smuggler, who knows how many people died as a result of the weapons that he supplied to terrorists. I honestly think that whoever killed him did a great service to the world.

But I know a lot of people see Israel as the terrorist, so I know I'm going to take some heat for my above statement.

Also, regarding the earlier statement about Iran and the Israeli double standard, you have to remember that Israel had not threatened to nuke another country just because of the predominate religion in a country (unlike Iran).

Also, how does this relate to Iraq at all???

Don

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Seriously, why would we be such a huge supporter of them. It's not like they have oil. :rolleyes:

14. MikhailT macrumors 601

You're acting like Israel is the only country. US/Russia has nuclear weapons, assassinates people all around the world all the time. They both nearly put the entire globe at risk with the Cold War.

No country is special, they all do things like this.

The passports aren't Israeli. They vary all over and they don't even have real pictures or even correct passport numbers. The governments have confirmed that already. Those people who did the hits don't care about the passports being public. It's not proof of anything and it doesn't identify them.

15. MikhailT macrumors 601

Because of the location and the religious connections. Israel is the only country in that area that has no fear of being allies with the US.

16. 184550 Guest

I'm aware of that. However, on CNN at least, thats been all the talk- the fact that the passports used peoples actual names, etc... My comment was in reference to why draw more attention than neccessary to an operation like this?

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

This also applies.

Haven't they threatened to take action on Iran?

I don't actually think they do. Most countries don't carry out assassinations of people in other countries.

18. 184550 Guest

And you're making an assumption that by 'take action' they mean nuke Iran?

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Fair enough. Though I've just Googled and it looks like you are making a similar assumption with Iran.

20. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Because it does oh so much for the US. :rolleyes:

21. 184550 Guest

Assuming that Iran would use their nukes?

There is no doubt in my mind that they would use their nukes, either in a conventional sense (bomb/ missels) or unconventionally (dirty bomb/ suitcase bomb, etc...). Then there's the prospect of them selling the how-to's to other governments/ organizations.

Israel has had their nukes since when? Late 1960s, early 1970s? 40 or 50 years and they haven't used them yet. Besides, they know that if they were to use their nukes there would be choas in the Middle East. Which is why I tend to think that Iran would use their nukes unconventionally for deniability.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Source? Given even Kim Jong Il hasn't used his.

23. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Please don't do that. If you have a differing opinion, just say so and don't pervert what I posted. If you want to quote my post go ahead, but don't edit it.
    I'm pretty sure it's a reasonable interpretation of the phrase "Israel must be wiped of the map".
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/26/world/africa/26iht-iran.html

Don

24. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

So because they haven't used them in 50 years that means they won't? You are putting a lot of faith in somebody else's government. Keep in mind they get enough $$ and equipment to not need to think about using it.

At the same time, you have no doubt in your mind that Iran would use it, even though they haven't attacked any other countries since their government came to power in the 70's (Unlike Israel).

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That sounds like a political statement to me and nuking Israel would kill Palestinians too.