Israel is at it again - This time they've attacked Syria

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JW8725, Sep 18, 2007.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Israel has already done this in Iraq, and I've always argued that they would risk a great deal to protect their nuclear monopoly.

I can easily envision Israel conducting a similar raid against Iran - especially since Iran doesn't really possess the ability to launch a reprisal strike.

The interesting part will be whether Israel would fly directly through coalition airspace, which they would almost have to do to get to Iran.

3. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Illegal act from an illegal "nation". What else should we expect.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is all too scary. WTF? Did we say Syria can't have nukes either? Will they now be on the "Axis of Evil" list? This is all getting ridiculous. Anybody else feel that way?

Well, knowing that- why would Israel risk creating even another bitter enemy? Not that Syria was all that friendly to begin with, but good lord- to just go in like that seems really risky on their part.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Care to expand on that?

6. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

You have to consider that if Israel were to ever get into a nuclear war with either Syria or especially Iran, Israel could not withstand the fallout. If just two nukes were dropped on Israel, at least 2/3 of their population would be killed! However, Iran and Syria could withstand an Israeli retaliatory strike. Israel has no real choice but do ensure that Iran and Syria do not get nukes. Also the president of Iran has made it quite clear that he would do what ever it took to destroy Israel.

7. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Well, I tend to view it about as legal as some other countries created from land taken away from others...

I don't know where exactly I stand on the legality of Israel, but they are awfully bold...

8. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

This is a big deal. We are trying to sell democracy and friendship to the Muslim work, while our regional partner is attacking other sovereign Islamic states. I have become beyond skeptical of our military alliance with Israel. They seem to have learned little from the holocaust. They can look across their borders and see generations of displaced people, just like they were. Yet, in 50 years, they show no compassion for their plight. They could have solved this.

If we make the stupid mistake of intervening in Iran, we are screwed with the Islamic people. They are not the villains here, we are.

9. Steradian macrumors 6502

What were they suppose to learn exactly? Could you be more offensive, please? I can understand your frustration with a nation that attacks another, on sovereign soil without a declaration of war beforehand. However, what does that have to do with the 9 million or so killed systematically in the holocaust?

10. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

the Syrian reaction is quite curious.....

note that this happened a couple of weeks ago and has only now started to get attention, which is also quite curious......all very strange

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

This whole thing smacks of US/Israeli propaganda.

13. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I believe he was making the point that -- although differing in scale and magnitude -- the systematic oppression and displacement of the Muslim Palestinians by the Jewish Isrealis is not far removed from the systematic oppression and displacement of the Jewish Germans by the (arguably) Christian majority. The idea is that if anyone should be above this kind of racism and oppression, it would be the Jews who suffered under it so much.

"I believe in all the gods publicly, but none of them privately."

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

you mean like Canada?

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It's getting harder and harder to defend Israel.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Someone needs a little history lesson.

17. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

That's a good point; I've never thought about it that way.

18. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I don't think your thinly-veiled insult is adding much to the discussion.

19. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

From what I've read of his posts so far, he seems to be fairly intelligent; certainly more so than some of the folks from BITOG, who's posts I've been reading tonight. ;)

20. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Taint nothing like neighbors hatin' neighbors...with nuclear tastes in their mouths.

Lets see, use a nuke anywhere in the Middle East, regardless of the button pusher, all countries in the Middle East, most of Russia, some of Northern Africa, Western Asia and Eastern Europe, feel the effects.

So, I never understand the want of Iran, Israel, Syria, or anyone in the region talking about nuking the other, when it would also hurt your own people from the fallout etc.

It hasnt gotten this far, but the talk has always been there egging everyone on.

21. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

As legal as any of the other countries created out of the Ottoman Empire which is damned near the entire Middle East.

I'm not surprising anyone here when I state that I'm all for Israel taking a proactive position on not allowing their beligerant neighbors to obtain nuclear weapons.

22. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

What complete and utter nonsense. Israel has what, an estimated arsenal of hundreds of deliverable nuclear weapons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_weapons_and_Israel#Stockpile

including second strike capability from its nuclear-armed submarines. Are you seriously trying to suggest that Iran and Syria could withstand an Israeli retaliatory strike?

Further, just how has the president of Iran made it clear that he would do whatever it took to destory Israel? Was it when he said Israel should be wiped off the map? Only problem with that is, he never said it:

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/jonathan_steele/2006/06/post_155.html

23. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Pssst! We will intervene in Iran and it won't even matter who's administration is in charge. Just thought I'd let you know so it won't be such a big surprise when it happens.