Israel Looking To Jumpstart WW3

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Mar 27, 2017.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

The current Israeli government is walking a thin edged line with their continuing attacks on Syria and risking the ire of not just Syria and Hezbollah, but Russia, too. For a US supported "democracy" that is supposedly looking to coexist peacefully they sure are pushing the limits of regional civility with their continuing airstrikes and assassinations. If WW3 starts in the ME it won't be ISIS who starts it, it will be Israel and they'll drag us right into it.
    http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I'm no fan of Israel's current policies, but there is a history between Syria and Israel that doesn't exactly encourage mutual trust. As for this igniting WWIII, Putin is much more likely to do that on his own.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yea, the country that literally surrounded on all sides by "defensive" (what a farce) missiles is the aggressor. :rolleyes:

4. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

5. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

I'm not a fan of everything Israel does, but this is typical of the reasoning one encounters where the aim is to demonize Israel. There's been war in Syria for years now, with hundreds of thousands killed, millions of refugees and intervention by outside forces. Israel makes a couple of strikes inside Syria (for reasons that the OP has no direct knowledge of) and therefore it is Israel that would be to blame for starting WW3?

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

If Israel does start a full-out war in the ME, they won't need our help. Remember last time? The UN had to ask Israel to stop winning so much in their counter-attack. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yom_Kippur_War

7. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Russia wasn't part of that equation, either. Russian forces are currently all over Syria and are part and parcel of their defensive net.

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I'm still confident the Israeli military can easily take care of old soviet scrap.

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

besides everybody in the ME is fighting other wars at the moment, so they're probably not available at the moment

I suspect that Georgians and Ukrainians would tell you that you don't have a clue......probably the Poles, Estonians, Latvians, and Lithuanians would also tell you the same :p

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Which ones, the Ukrainian government hand picked by the US state department, or the ones that are historically Russia aligned?

There is no black and white in this, and Russia is in no military position to "rebuild the empire" as our asshats in office like to proclaim.

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I'd say Ukrainian citizens, never mind their government........and the same for Georgians. And of course the Poles, Estonians, Latvians, and Lithuanians who are worried about the intentions of Russia.

No black and white? So why do you keep pushing the old Cold War narrative of poor besieged Russia as victim? It's about as black and white a view of the situation as one can have

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Russia annexed the Crimea and invaded Georgia. It's nibbling away at eastern Ukraine and threatening Baltic states. The excuses for these acts of aggression seem strangely reminiscent of a certain period of history in the last century. And before anybody starts spouting crap about how Crimea was historically Russian, my response is 'why stop there?' It was Turkish before the Russians invaded it in the 1700's (history seems to repeat itself).

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Simply look at a time lapse of NATO expansion and tell me that Russia has no right to distrust the West.

I don't understand why people can't seem to parse that stating the reality of Western encroachment is somehow giving a free pass to Russia, but that's how it seems to people for some reason.

14. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

People think every armed conflict or even the potential for armed conflict will turn into WWIII.

And I just looked up The Drive, and I see the editor previously worked at Maxim and Playboy. Some high quality foreign policy analysis here.

15. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

The links in the article go right to the Times of Israel. As for the two magazines he previously wrote for, Playboy has a history of being a good source for foreign policy analysis, opinion and articles, besides boobs. Can't speak to Maxim, as I've never read an issue, but Playboy has always been solid.

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

So what if NATO nuzzles up to the border of Russia? We are not Russia's enemy, we do not want to be Russia's enemy, Russia is armed to the teeth to defend itself (including new weapons that violate treaties), and NATO shows no desire to conduct a first strike. Do you really think NATO would ever attack Russia? It would take huge provocation, although admittedly right now Putin is pushing it. The US in particular stood by while aggressors in Europe and Asia invaded weaker neighbours at the start of WWII, and the price we paid for that was extremely high. The price paid by the USSR, China, and Western European allies was even higher, so you'd think that Russia (and China) would understand our response to their bullying of weaker neighbours. Defending Russia's weaker neighbours against Russian land grabs is not the same thing as attacking Russia.