Israel rejected Palestinian peace offer "Keep all settlements" as not enough

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cromulent, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

2. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

3. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Palestinian officials offered Israel a peace deal which allowed them to keep all settlements except Har Homa in 2008. Israeli foreign minister rejected offer.

Saeb Erekat in early 2010 quoted as saying "What is in that paper gives them the biggest Yerushalaim [Jerusalem] in Jewish history, [a merely] symbolic number of refugees return, [a] demilitarised [Palestinian] state ... what more can I give".

Palestinians clearly ready to offer concessions despite what Israel and US policy makers said.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"Good faith" evidently does not translate into Hebrew.

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I wouldn't confuse the "Palestinian Authority" with Palestinians in general.I think very few people have any belief that the Israelis are interested in negotiating at all.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Palestinians attack al-Jazeera 'distorted' talks leaks

Most confusing…
    So did they or didn't they?

Mahmoud Abbas:

7. toontra macrumors 6502

Precisely. In my opinion that has been the case for the last 25 years. All "peace negotiations" have been a cynical farce. Israel, while they still have the unqualified support of the US, have absolutely no interest in any kind of settlement, because that would inevitably lead to a diminution of their financial, military and political control of the area.

Israel are very happy with the status quo - minimal civilian & military casualties in exchange for having everything their own way. Any talks with the Palestinians are purely for show. The Palestinians could offer them everything the Israelis are asking for and it would still be dismissed (as these leaked documents would appear to show). Until the US grow some balls, the situation will continue to poison and pollute world politics.

8. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

The plot thickens. Thanks for the heads up.

You'll be waiting a long time then. The US government is too scared to deal with their own domestic nut jobs, let alone deal with Israel. Plus the fact that the Jewish vote in America is highly influential.

It's the same reason the US government got involved in the northern Ireland troubles because 'Irish' people in the US thought the IRA were the good guys. Lets not forget that these people were no more Irish than I am and knew bugger all about the political situation.

9. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Umm...first of all jews are less than 2% of our population, not that we vote on these things anyway. And the majority of american christians are very pro-israel, if they weren't the US would not be supporting israel. Get your facts straight.

10. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

11. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

How about you get your facts straight?

I said the Jewish vote was highly influential. Which it is, partly because it is significantly richer per head of population than just about any other group and thus has significant power within American political circles.

Always nice to meet someone incapable of reading a simple paragraph.

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

probably the Israelis agree with you

13. 184550 Guest

Starting to seem more and more like political infighting.

Palestinian Leader Sees Political Motive in Release of Files

14. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Abbas is probably just embarrassed that these revelations have come to light, he's supposedly there to fight for the rights of Palestinians, and according to these documents, he made some serious concessions in those areas.

Obviously Israel is not going to accept any concessions. Zionism at its heart is based on the idea that god promised the land of Israel to Jews. This is why Israel even exists, and to suddenly give up a chunk of land that they've worked so hard to steal does not seem to be an option.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqJ-JR_vBo0

15. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

It is about time that the truth came out. I don't think many Palestinians are surprised by this.

They are probably more surprised that all this info managed to make it out.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If the Israelis wont negotiate peace in good faith then it'll be harder for the EU countries to support Israel as much as they do.

Ditto for the BRIC countries, of whom 3 out of 4 have substantial muslim minorities who will be upset about the Israel-Palestine issue.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/24/papers-palestinian-leaders-refugees-fight

17. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

that's an interesting point.

Given that 3 out of those 3 have had violence from islamist rebels in their own countries, are they really apt to become more supportive of an increasingly islamist struggle in Palestine? Wouldn't that tend to encourage islamist struggle at home?

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I would have thought peace would be the main thing that would discourage the Islamists, and more importantly make the moderates happier.

It seems pretty clear that the people who need additional pressure on them for peace are the Israelis as the Palestinians are being pretty reasonable here.

19. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Anti Israel rivals Anti America ... therefore both countries need to be very aware of possible threats.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is it an "increasingly Islamist struggle in Palestine"?

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Peace isn't a threat.

The Arab Peace Initiative, while maybe not totally what the Israelis want isn't exactly going to lead to the destruction of Israel.

With regards to the US, no world power is seriously going to contemplate war with the US, as it'd be vastly counter-productive.

22. Lord Blackadder, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011

Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Israel will accept nothing less than unconditional surrender by the Palestinians when it comes to a peace "deal". That, to me, indicates that they are prepared to wage eternal war on their neighbors until they get exactly what they want.

In fact, in my lifetime, I've never seen a single event that gave me the slightest hope that peace will ever be achieved. I still support continued efforts to reduce violence in the region, but I have no confidence that success will ever really be achieved as far as Israel having normal relations with her neighbors. All we can do is try and contain the violence the best we can.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If that's the case that is going to become increasingly untenable.

Only US support might go along with that long-term.

24. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I don't know what we get from Israel that makes them worth the trouble. US-support for Isarael, like Chinese support for North Korea, is a major stumbling block in broader international cooperation on civil rights, environmentalism, and the prevention of regional/low-intensity warfare.

25. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Simple. Some of the wealthiest and most powerful people in America are Jewish. Generally countries try to avoid pissing off the very small minority that pay a disproportionately large percentage of the tax income of the nation.

As a little aside did you know that 35% or so of the UKs total tax revenue each year is paid by less than 1% of the population?