Israel to launch war against Iran within a month

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MBX, Feb 1, 2009.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Good timing.
    This way the first headlines and outcry won't interfere with MLB Spring Training, MLB opening day, or the NHL playoffs.

it's kinda like Valentine's Day; dab smack in the middle of Christmas and Easter, A filler holiday if you will.

Israel attacking Iran; right in bewteen the Superbowl and important sporrting events listed above.

I am sure OPEC will welcome it as such an attack will cause instability in the oil rich region driving the price of oil way up

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I dont think they can pull this one off, sure they would like to stop Irans Nuke program but I think the world can do a better job with negotiations carrot and stick approach then Israel can do with trying to destroy those plants. Its just to easy to do all that stuff under ground.

Israel should be working with other countries on this one..

With that said if Hamas starts the rocket attacks again which it will it would be within Israels rights to just take over the Gaza.:eek:

4. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

We certainly should take steps to stop this rogue middle-eastern regime, with its nuclear obsession, from destabalising the region.

As for Iran...

5. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Not that I support such a thing but the OP forgot to mention that the newscaster said the speaker said it would be 10-14 months before they decided what to do. Not a month.

And it doesn't help matters when Hamas starts tossing rockets into Israel again either.As they did today.

6. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Hm, the subject of Israel attacking Iran is often talked about. I think that it won't happen anytime soon, due to the lack of support (I presume!) from the US, that was previously had.

That and I think if they were going to start a war it would have been before the Israeli elections, which are in a few days (hence the recent military offensive against Hamas.)

7. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

They would be stupid to go anywhere near Iran, let alone start a war.

I doubt it will happen, though.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Nothing in diplomacy is accidental. There's a message being sent here, and it isn't to Iran.

9. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

A war with Iran would signal the end of the state of Israel.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

CNN has a report where the Hamas leadership is praising Irans help in its "Victory" over Israel. If this was a victory for the people of Palestine I would hate to see what a defeat looks like.

Im not a religious person by any stretch and for the most part cant stand religions but it seems that those who F'D with Gods Israel never end up in a very good way.

Here is the CNN article on Hamas victory over Israel.http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/02/01/iran.hamas/index.html

11. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

This is not God's Israel. The zionists are likely the biggest enemy of "god's Israel".

12. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

That is suicide. Iran will crush them, and it will be a sllaughter house.....NOT a good thing...

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

It would be a very strange war since Israel and Iran share no borders. Iran would have to come in through Syria or Turkey. Iraq I dont think would assist Iran at all considering the past history and their recent war..I dont see this one happening. U.S. has allready told Israel no and they have no way flying to Iran but through Iraq.

15. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Precisely. This is electoral posturing at its most base.

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

from watching the youtube video, the title of this thread doesn't really represent what the israeli guy actually says......he isn't even talking about israel acting alone, but "moderate forces" realigning, yada, yada yada.....a bit of dreaming on his part perhaps, but he didn't really say Israel is planning on starting a war within a month......as the reporter said, the israeli guy said it would be over a year before any decisions could be made in any event

17. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

If Netanyahu gets elected, he will likely do something.

The IAF overflies Syria all the time, and the Syrians can't really do anything about it. That means they have to go over Turkey or Iraq (I don't think they have aircraft with the range to go over Saudi Arabia).

Turkey is a no go, since if the Turkish people knew that their government had allowed the IAF to use its airspace for a strike on Iran, the government would at the very least wobble. Turkey said no to the US on Iraq, and the current government is less accommodating now (witness Erdogan's spat at Davos).

If the Israelis overfly Iraq while the US is in control of its airspace, then the US might as well have attacked Iran itself. I could see this happening if Netanyahu treats Obama the same way Olmert treated Bush (although I think this would be a PR disaster).

And that brings me to my point. I can see Obama withdrawing forces from Iraq, and as a part of that withdrawal vastly reducing US air patrols of Iraqi airspace. If that happens along with some "the Iraqis control their own airspace" official dispatch, then I could see Israel overflying Iraq, with the Iraqi government being able to do nothing about it and the US pleading ignorance.

That's a long shot, but that seems the only way they could do it.

But what do I know. Israel seems to have adopted lunacy as a policy objective, so anything could happen.

18. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

They wont be doing it anytime in the next couple of years after Israels last little spat they dont have much legitamacy or support left (and they didnt have much in the first place).

They'll be walking on egg shells for a few years, they're a / the most powerful nation in the region but they are surrounded by many unfriendly/upsett nations. They probably cant even count on the US for help seeing the negative chord this last gaza dispute has struck with many in the US (and the new administration).

This is posturing and fairly empty posturing at that.

19. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Yey! Another war! I can't wait for the War Against the Machines!

20. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I would have to file this under "not bloody likely". For the following reasons:

1. Due in large part to our debacle in Iraq, the US position in the ME is weak - measured by local public opinion and subsequent government positions. The US is also weak in the area due to our perception of being biased towards Israel. That said, we are one of Israels' only friends, and if we were ever shut out of the ME, the viability of the continued existence of Israel could be called into question.

2. An attack on Iran, by the Israelis or the US ( the former probably being perceived as the latter), would fundamentally destabilize the ME. There would be a war ranging from Pakistan, through Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq - which would probably spill over into the Persian Gulf. The effects of such on the World Economy, Islam, the US position in the world and it's capacity for power would be calamitous. The Sunni Arab states would probably not be comfortable with a radicalized and unstable Shia crescent.

3. Iran has, until recently, been a good friend with Israel - a relationship spanning decades. They are natural allies. There is decent potential of rekindling that relationship once certain situations (eg the Palestinians) are normalized.

4. It is only by engagement with Hamas (and perhaps Hezbollah) that Israel will be able to provide for it's security. Back in the 70's Fatah was considered a terrorist organization, but after engagement it moderated to the point that the US (and probably Israel) would prefer their leadership in Gaza and the West Bank. Iran did not create either Hamas or Hezbollah - conditions in Gaza and Lebanon did - due largely to Israeli actions. Yes, Iran finances these organizations, but were the relationships to change vis-a-vis Israel, Iran could be an ally by virtue of this financial control.

5. A push towards a resolution to the Palestinian problem could, properly done, put Iran on the defensive, secure Israel, and stabilize Iraq. These would all be done by bringing together Arab countries in mutual interest of regional stability. It would involve the US pulling largely out of Iraq as a military presence, and of actively pushing for peace process talks between the Palestinians and Israelis in a fair manner. It would involve Hamas, and Iran, but also many of the Sunni Arab nations. Syria would also be heavily involved.

21. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No thanks, I'm trying to give them up.

23. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I don't think that it would be far off, should this happen. Iran's reaction would be severe and not just aimed at Israel.

24. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

A test if you will. If Israel does get attacked, for real, not a Gaza skirmish, they will trash the enemy. Oh, the attack will come from the north of them.

I am waiting to see it happen. No I'm not trying to draw a debate, but piece put out, to, watch if you will.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

This is some doomsday scenario you read about in a book, isn't it?