Israeli Embassy Attack in Cairo

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Sep 10, 2011.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44464518/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/#.Tmvd7s3IOng

2. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I'm not.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Why?

4. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I'm not surprised, to answer your question, that the attack against the Israeli Embassy has not been previously mentioned in the PRSI before now because I believe - emphasis on "believe," as I do not have stats/cites - that the majority of the most frequent posters in the PRSI (meaning posters who pretty much post in the PRSI daily, if not hourly) believe that modern-day Israel (and, by extension, its embassies) has earned any harm that comes to it. That is a statement in which I assert neither judgment nor morality nor criticism.

Thanks for asking. Do you agree, or do you disagree, iJohnHenry, with any of the points I made above?

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I was responding to the post "I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet.", not the quote.

I thought you suspected some devious rationale in delaying mention of the event.

With trepidation, yes.

But we must remember that this excrement has been going on since Israel arose out of the then-desert.

It will never end, in my life-time or yours.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Freedom from tyranny oftentimes brings bad behaviour to the surface. I'm not sure what all the outrage is about. I do believe that the Arab Spring has changed North Africa for the better and rather than those awkward relationships that Israel (as well as other countries) has cultured with their dictators, Israel will now have to form new relationships. I think it's safe to say that Israel is in a similar position as the US was when the wall fell in '89. It happened with almost no warning.

The attainment of freedom isn't always pretty but Israel will ultimately have to account for its actions just like every other country will. As a matter of fact, the demonstrations in Israel about the exorbitant cost of housing might well mean that Israel itself is on the cusp of transforming itself from a society almost strangled by religion into a free and modern one.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, religion is their "calling card" in the U.S.A., and elsewhere, for funds to support their existence. If that is tossed/forced aside, how will they fare?

It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

8. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

There were protests over the killing of Egyptian boarder guards and iirc some turned to more direct hostile actions by attacking the embassy.

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Aah the case of the dog that didn't bark,well done Sherlock.
    I'm looking forward to your thread on the hundreds of thousands of Israelis who are protesting against the social/economic conditions inside Israel and which oddly isn't making much noise in the corporate media.

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Interesting details emerging about the attack on the Israeli embassy ( the Interior ministry building was also attacked but it doesn't fit the corporate medias agenda to report that).It appears that the vast majority of people involved were football fans,the Egyptian military's worst nightmare,highly politicised,highly organised (but without leaders) young men with vast experience of street fighting.This has been an interesting subplot throughout the Egyptian revolution,they came in huge numbers for instance to help the people in Tahrir Sq on many occasions,they were largely instrumental in setting up first aid posts,rubbish collection and other services in the Sq.The "Arab spring" is generally portrayed in the west as either being propelled by middle class, educated,unemployed and disaffected youth or by Muslim radicals,whereas in reality most of those involved are regular working class people.This is not to denigrate the part played by those two groups and certainly not to denigrate the large part played by women in the uprising.It's an ongoing struggle and the outcome is by no means certain but organisation continues apace to put forward the views of the vast majority of ordinary Egyptians,for instance the old corrupt state supporting trades unions have collapsed are slowly being replaced by unions organised from the ground up.One can but hope this all bodes well for Egyptians.

( Historical footnote supporters of both Cairo teams (and those in Alex and other cities) have traditionally been fervent supporters of the Palestinian struggle and also been the harshest critics of the generally loathed interior police)

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

sounds like an egyptian version of the EDL

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Hardly.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

:rolleyes: Wow- and you say I'm dramatic.

Israel is certainly not innocent in all this, but that hardly means that any of us think that Israel deserves all harm that comes to it.

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

right, at least one hopes they aren't

15. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm an admitted liberal, and I believe Isreal has a right to defend itself. In fact, I believe those who attack it deserve the wrath of Israel, the US, and anyone else who cares about democracy. What I find strange is that it wasn't too long ago that the GOP was completely anti-Israel because of their anti-Hollywood views. Hollywood was too Jewish and too closely tied to the Democrats who supported them. Now, apparently, B. Hussein Obama is scary enough that some mega-donors have caused the GOP to change its tune.

The GOP has adopted a multi-million dollar (40+) anti-Islamic media campaign blitz; does that make them supporters of Isreal? Seems pretty opportunistic.

(40+ Million? What am I talking about? Conservative charitable giving. They give to groups that promote anti-Islamic media attacks and direct mailing, and then take tax deductions for it.) This is a PDF if you care to take the next step.

16. MacHamster68, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

hmm i say it with a little youtube video a interview with Jimmy Carter
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQRrDCmDWuM&feature=related

and dont get me wrong i am no anti-semite ,i am not against a State Isreal and the Palestinians did mistakes too , but its just morally wrong to occupy Palastine give them their own land back , and the UN needs to finally make sure the Palestinians get their own independent state and not here a bit and there a bit fully under control of Isreal , the Palestinians have the exact same right to be there
    it has to be a give and take otherwise there will never be peace

the world would cry out if Germany would want the Holy Roman Empire boundaries back again and start to occupy most of middle Europe because some in power think its rightful German territory

Germany found a way to live peaceful with its neighbours and its neighours too found a way to live in peace with Germany after hundreds of years war every now and then on all sites
    ..the European Union
    The EU operates through a hybrid system of supranational independent institutions and intergovernmentally made decisions negotiated by the member states

so Israel needs to find a way to live peaceful with its neighbours ,and its neighbours a way to live peaceful with Isreal too
    I dont say it will be as easy as a write it down here , but all parties involved in that talk means all neighbouring states including Isreal need to sit down and talk and dont run upset away if something doesnt go like THEY want and fire some bombs on each other , that kind of behavior will never establish peace in that region
    if necessary move the armies away from afghanistan under UN mandate occupy the whole region and capture all political leaders of the countries envolved in that conflict , put them in one room and dont let them out again until they have found a solution they all can live with