Issue buying an unlocked iPhone 4S online

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Grimsrud, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Grimsrud macrumors member

I wanted to avoid paying the high California sales tax on the unlocked models, so I used a mailbox service based in Oregon so I could just have it mailed to me for a small fraction of what the sales tax would be. The problem arose just about an hour ago when I got an email from Apple saying that my order has been cancelled because they "do not ship to freight forwarder addresses". How can I get around this obstacle? Paying $849 for a phone sucks badly enough, paying $74 in taxes is insult to injury.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You can't. Apple knows your scheme and they don't want to be a part of it. I know this isn't illegal, but it should be. Pay up.

3. Grimsrud thread starter macrumors member

Sure I can, there are a million more mailbox services out there, I just need to find the right one. For all of the other rigid, authoritarian Melvins who want to lecture me on why I shouldn't try to avoid sales taxes, save your energy.

4. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

You already have a plan. Why ask here?

Otherwise, try amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPhone-4S-16GB-White/dp/B005SSB0YO/ref=pd_cp_cps_2

some of the sellers may not be cali based, and have no tax.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Sorry bud. But you aren't going to get what you want to hear from me... You said it yourself, there are a million other options. Well shoot. All you need to do is just pick one then, right?

6. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

...and so you are trying to cheat the state out of taxes you Still Owe whether you buy the phone in your state -- or in a lower tax/tax free state?

when the bridge you are on crumbles, when your kid has to travel across town due to the local school closing, when you cant get into DMV cause its closed, when the state park is closed -- all due to lack of funding... DON'T complain!