issue connecting to tv as extra monitor

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tommyprevatt, Feb 24, 2012.

1. tommyprevatt macrumors newbie

I'm trying to connect my mid 2009 Macbook Pro (5,5) to a Vizio sv370xvt 1080 TV as an extra monitor. I'm connecting it via mini-display port to vga adapter. The adapter is the official apple brand, not a generic brand.

It's connecting fine, but it's only displaying on the TV at 640x480. No matter what settings I use it will not let me change the resolution. It lists 640x480 as the only compatible resolution for the TV.

It works fine in OS X. OS X gives every possible resolution up to 1920x1080 as compatible resolutions.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues? Anyone know how to resolve it?

Thanks.

2. henryhenryhenry macrumors newbie

Are you using the "mirroring" or "extension"
    Try go the display-->"arrangement" and change it to extension

3. tommyprevatt thread starter macrumors newbie

It is set up as an extension. I've tried to see if using it as a mirror changes the resolution options, but it doesn't.

4. WRP macrumors 6502a

What's the resolution you have your input on the TV set to? The tech specs specifically list it as "Computer Support:1920 x 1080, 1360 x 768, 800 x 600, 640 x 480 via VGA/HDMI"

Sounds like your tv isn't setup properly.

5. tommyprevatt thread starter macrumors newbie

My TV is set up properly. There are no native settings on the TV to change the resolution when connected to a computer. Besides, like I said earlier, it works fine under OS X. Just not Windows.

Thanks

6. WRP macrumors 6502a

Well you should have specified. I use the "new posts" button and didn't see which forum I was in. Maybe specify for us dummies who don't pay attention? :p

7. tommyprevatt thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, didn't mean to come off as cheeky.

I am still having this issue, if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks.

8. tommyprevatt thread starter macrumors newbie

So, I never got this fixed, but I can now do it.

I just bought an October 2011 15 inch MacBook Pro, and it works fine when connecting to my TV.

Thanks.