Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EW800

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Hi Everyone --

I recently switched from BB to the iPhone 5 and so far am glad that I did. I love the phone!

I have run into an issue over the past week or so that I cannot figure out. About 4 or 5 times now, I have had an error message come up that says something to the effect that a message could not be received (or sent?) becasue time and date needed updating. Obviously I then looked at the time and found that it would be off by as much as 14 to 15 hours. I would then reset the time, only to have the isse happen again a day or two later. I believe this has happened with the phone set to update the time automatically, as well as with that setting turned off.

Anyone aware of this issue? I am wondering if this is a problem with my phone or with iOS6?

I sincerely appreciate any thoughts or ideas!

EW800

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Update: Just after I posted my message, the issue happened again. The actual error message is, " iMessage Failed - Your Date and Time settings need to be updated". This obviously has me wondering if this is an iMessage issue?

Appreciate any thoughts.

EW800

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Yes, this is Verizon. I have tried turning off the auto date/time setting. Any other thoughts? Anyone else run into times flat out changing all by itself?

Thanks!

Lyshen

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
California
I use VZ iPhone 5 too, haven't run into that issue, and hopefully don't.

Hmm try turning off/on LTE? Although that seems rather gimping of iphone then.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
It's apparently an issue with Verizon and how it reports the date and time. The iPhone 5 seems to have an issue with it for some reason. The hope is that it gets fixed soon in a patch.

The issue stems from the fact that for iMessage to work, the time on your phone needs to be within a certain level of accuracy (I think 5-10 minutes is the max). iMessages are encrypted, and correct time is part of the encryption algorithm. If your iPhone isn't set to the right time, a lot of things that use data encryption won't work.

Nateg73

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
I am also having the same issue, & my carrier is Verizon. It seems to switch the date/time when my phone changes from LTE to 3G. If I disable LTE...the date/time stay perfect on 3G. I have been in communication with Apple & Verizon. It is a network issue, & Verizon has a master trouble ticket opened. No timeframe for a resolution has been provided. This is very frustrating...as the big deal with the 5 was we could now get LTE speed.

dnelms

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
McGee's Crossroads, NC
Had the same problem. I was cutting LTE off eery day to keep it from happening when I would get home and on wifi. Once the 6.0.1 update came thru, I have not had the problem. So far...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.