Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kieran90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum so go lightly on me :) I went into the apple store yesterday as I had a Genius Bar appointment. Basically my old model had an issue with the lock button and the guy in their swapped it for a nice shiny new model.

Onto the new issue. The replacement handset seems to have an issue with the pixels and clarity of the colours on my device. Everytime I look at something light such as a web page, certain parts of it are streaky. So for example if there are boxes in the screen they're streaked outwards and it's really irritating.

Second issue is the screen seems to be really faint with certain colours and I'm not benefiting from the Retina display.

Now the chap in the store told me to leave it for a month and go back if continues. He said this as he reckons its newly manufacture and it's just the manufacturing process settling in. I'm happy to do this, however it's so irritating I wanted to see if anyone has had any problems like this yourselves? If so what advice can you give me.

Kind regards,
Kieran.

naveah

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Atlanta
Make another appointment and take it back in again. The new phone shouldn't have these types of issues and they'll probably replace it for you.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
The new device you were given as a swap is highly likely to be a refurbished one, not a brand new one direct from the factory. This is an old wives tale from back when the first retina display was released on the iPhone 4 - "its the glue drying, wait for a month or two". Bring it back now and get another swap! The guy has most likely lied to you about "the manufacturing process setting in" to keep his appointments in line that day and not spend more time exchanging it twice. Sad but true...sorry

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Needs to "settle in"? Is he joking? A new iPhone should work perfectly out of the box. It certainly shouldn't need to be broken in. Take it back.

Kieran90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
Defender2010 - that's exactly what he said. It's the glue that needs to dry properly. I thought it was bonkers but sort of accepted it because i had been without my phone for days. Have booked a new appointment but won't be until Tuesday unfortunately. But if i have to wait so be it.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum so go lightly on me :) I went into the apple store yesterday as I had a Genius Bar appointment. Basically my old model had an issue with the lock button and the guy in their swapped it for a nice shiny new model.

Onto the new issue. The replacement handset seems to have an issue with the pixels and clarity of the colours on my device. Everytime I look at something light such as a web page, certain parts of it are streaky. So for example if there are boxes in the screen they're streaked outwards and it's really irritating.

Second issue is the screen seems to be really faint with certain colours and I'm not benefiting from the Retina display.

Now the chap in the store told me to leave it for a month and go back if continues. He said this as he reckons its newly manufacture and it's just the manufacturing process settling in. I'm happy to do this, however it's so irritating I wanted to see if anyone has had any problems like this yourselves? If so what advice can you give me.

Kind regards,
Kieran.

The Genius basically implied if it continues for a month that you can exchange it. That's a good deal.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Defender2010 - that's exactly what he said. It's the glue that needs to dry properly. I thought it was bonkers but sort of accepted it because i had been without my phone for days. Have booked a new appointment but won't be until Tuesday unfortunately. But if i have to wait so be it.

Well, good luck, hope you get it exchanged again successfully. :)

JerseyDoug

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Needs to "settle in"? Is he joking? A new iPhone should work perfectly out of the box. It certainly shouldn't need to be broken in. Take it back.

Must be the special edition with tubes and filter caps. Same problem as my guitar amps. :D:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.