Issue with silver and gold models

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steveh2780, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Steveh2780 macrumors regular

Steveh2780

Hi guys, this might sound like a stupid question but I was wondering why such a shortage worldwide of the gold iPhones and even to a certain degree silver models?
    Is it that the new space grey coloration is actually nearer to the natural colour of aluminium than silver? I've yet to see the 5S in person but only a thought

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

All three colours go through the same processes apple just got there numbers wrong.

4. OVERTASK macrumors 6502

OVERTASK

But it's a darker silver than that of the silver 5s.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's a lot brighter until it oxidises. :p

Like Gav2k says, they all have an anodised finish and the only reason for the shortages of gold and silver is Apple underestimated the demand for those colours.

6. Steveh2780 thread starter macrumors regular

Steveh2780

I've not seen it yet so can't say but I understand it is slightly different looking to the silver on the 5? Just wondering if they are having issues with the anodising of it over the space grey, or colour change due to heat as in the white 4-4S

7. Spacial macrumors 6502

Unable to fix the easily scratched black, Apples seeing to it that Gray is shipped in huge quantities thereby forcing it to look like their customers prefer gray. Just another example of Apples control over the customer. It's no wonder they're worth billions.

8. noobinator macrumors 601

By my guesstimate it seems like they did produced something similar to this:

65% Space Gray
    25% Silver
    10% Gold

When it should have been:

40% Space Gray
    30% Silver
    30% Gold

But then again the demand for Silver and Gold is simply going up because of the lack of supply.