Issues Connecting MBP to a Monitor!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hiohokaybye, Mar 13, 2012.

1. hiohokaybye macrumors regular

Sep 17, 2007
    Hello all :)

I just bought a new Samsung Monitor (S27A950D, and I'm having some issues connecting it. I purchased a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable, and everything connects fine. I'm currently typing on my monitor.

However, the only problem with it is that I see pixels flickering all over the screen and I think I've eliminated the problem down to my mac, and not my monitor.
    Here's how I did that:
    1. Changed the refresh rate in the settings from 60 hertz down to 24 hertz, the flickering stops.
    2. I turned on the monitor without connecting it to the computer, I get a nice, dark, and non-flickering screen.

So, I'm almost positive that it has to do something with my mac. I also tried it with my friends MBP, same model, same cable, and I get the same issue.

I'm not sure if this is a video card problem or the cable problem, I need some guide on figuring this out please!!

2. whiteonline macrumors 6502

Aug 19, 2011
    California, USA
    Changing the refresh rate to clear issues is most likely indicative of the cable or monitor. I would swap out the cable (try mini display port to DVI-D)
  3. hiohokaybye thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 17, 2007
    I think it's most likely the monitor, I just tried HDMI to HDMI on a windows laptop and no issues at all. So I ordered another thunderbolt to HDMI, hopefully that one will do it :)
    But if not, I think I might have to try a thunderbolt to HDMI converter then buy a HDMI to HDMI cable :/
  4. Macman45 macrumors G5

Jul 29, 2011
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    The mini display adapter is what I use, seems to work better on the Pro than the T/Bolt...Don't know why.