Issues Connecting MBP to a Monitor!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hiohokaybye, Mar 13, 2012.

1. hiohokaybye macrumors regular

Hello all :)

I just bought a new Samsung Monitor (S27A950D, http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/pc-peripherals-printer/monitor/led-monitor/LS27A950DS/XS) and I'm having some issues connecting it. I purchased a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable, and everything connects fine. I'm currently typing on my monitor.

However, the only problem with it is that I see pixels flickering all over the screen and I think I've eliminated the problem down to my mac, and not my monitor.
    Here's how I did that:
    1. Changed the refresh rate in the settings from 60 hertz down to 24 hertz, the flickering stops.
    2. I turned on the monitor without connecting it to the computer, I get a nice, dark, and non-flickering screen.

So, I'm almost positive that it has to do something with my mac. I also tried it with my friends MBP, same model, same cable, and I get the same issue.

I'm not sure if this is a video card problem or the cable problem, I need some guide on figuring this out please!!

Thanks!

2. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

Changing the refresh rate to clear issues is most likely indicative of the cable or monitor. I would swap out the cable (try mini display port to DVI-D)

3. hiohokaybye thread starter macrumors regular

I think it's most likely the monitor, I just tried HDMI to HDMI on a windows laptop and no issues at all. So I ordered another thunderbolt to HDMI, hopefully that one will do it :)
    But if not, I think I might have to try a thunderbolt to HDMI converter then buy a HDMI to HDMI cable :/

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The mini display adapter is what I use, seems to work better on the Pro than the T/Bolt...Don't know why.