Issues with Pages and Split View

eicca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Ever since updating to High Sierra (which I'm regretting more and more every day...) I can't put two open Pages documents in split view. I can do split view with Numbers and Keynote and a bunch of other apps just fine, but OF COURSE, since I use Pages the most, it doesn't work.

I've tried all conceivable maintenance procedures on the computer including Safe Mode boot, reinstalling Pages, clearing out unnecessary preferences and caches and things, and tweaking all the settings related to Split View and Mission Control.

I got Split View with Pages to work ONCE after a reboot, but it immediately stopped working after moving away from that space.

I've filed a bug report with Apple.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem, and has anyone found a fix?

eicca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
It's not a bug. It's 100% you not knowing how to do it.
Did you even read my post? I've been using Split View for years. I use it with other iWork apps daily. In fact, I put Safari into Split View while typing this just to validate myself.

Reactions: AngerDanger

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Pages works fine in split view. I think Split View changed in High Sierra. Go read those instructions and try again.

eicca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Pages works fine in split view. I think Split View changed in High Sierra. Go read those instructions and try again.
It works fine with other apps but no longer with two open documents. Like I said, Numbers and Keynote both let me split view two open files of the same type.

I know how to use split view.

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Pages works fine for me with two documents. I would suggest creating a new account on your machine just to test it. See how it behaves in the new account. There might be something in your account causing the problem. Maybe there are some Pages preference files you can delete from your user library.

Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 8.31.10 PM.png

Last edited:

eicca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Creating a brand new user caused the exact same behavior as when I wiped all the preferences on my main user.

I can make two documents go into split view once. Then it refuses to work ever again.

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Thanks for trying those troubleshooting ideas. This is very weird. If it's not something in your use account, it must be something in the overall system. We will just have to keep trying things until the problem is eliminated. You seem comfortable and willing to dig into things. Would you consider deleting the Pages app and reinstalling it? That's my next idea.

eicca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Thanks for trying those troubleshooting ideas. This is very weird. If it's not something in your use account, it must be something in the overall system. We will just have to keep trying things until the problem is eliminated. You seem comfortable and willing to dig into things. Would you consider deleting the Pages app and reinstalling it? That's my next idea.
As I stated in my original post, I already reinstalled Pages.

More specifically, I deleted the app, erased all traces of it from both /Library folders, rebooted in Safe Mode, rebooted in normal mode, then reinstalled it. No change.

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
That is so strange. I wish I could help more. We never did talk mechanics. You are clicking and holding on the green button to enter split view, right?

eicca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
That is so strange. I wish I could help more. We never did talk mechanics. You are clicking and holding on the green button to enter split view, right?
Yes. It used to work by dragging the spaces in Mission Control as well.