Issues with retina displays, should I move to a non-retina one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rodrigo Yoshida, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Rodrigo Yoshida macrumors member

Everyone knows the retina display is a gorgeous display and it is a big step up compared to the non-retina ones. I have been using many different MacBook Pro models over the past few months and I am currently working on a Late 2013 retina MacBook Pro 13, although the El Capitan fixed most of lag I had with Yosemite it still feels laggy sometimes.

I use a lot of Photoshop and it performs better when I use my MBP plugged in an 1080p external monitor, on the retina display it feels choppy. Also see it happening with many different apps and websites like Google Maps. They work perfectly on a non-retina display, but when I switch back to retina it gets choppy again and it annoys me a lot.

Is the retina display support something not quite stable yet? Should I change to a non-retina display MacBook like an Air or I better be patience until it gets fixed? Sometimes I have the impression that the retina display is a "beta" product and for now we should stick to the non-retina ones for serious work.

2. thesimplelogic macrumors regular

This is just my experience, but I doubt it's anything to do with the Retina, and perhaps something to do with the internals of your mac itself. I run Photoshop and After Effects, as well as AutoDesk Inventor on Parallels on my 15" Retina and I haven't had any issues, nor do I know of anyone who's had the same issues as you. The only thing I can think of that's similar is when a friend had not enough RAM for her computer... but I might be incorrect.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

As you give no indication as to what you do in photoshop, wether you run the screen in scaled resolution etc etc it is impossible to tell if your issues are due to a problem with the computer or that the computer is just not powerfull enough for your use case.

4. Rodrigo Yoshida thread starter macrumors member

My MacBook is a Late 2013 MacBook Retina 13 inch with 8gb ram and 250gb ssd. I mainly use Photoshop to design websites and apps layouts, I run the screen both with scaled and normal resolution (1440x900 and 1280x800), the resolution actually does not change much here since El Capitan solved most of the lag I had. I do not have problems with most of the tasks I do like using Safari, Mail, Skype and I do not have any problems at all when using an external display, the lag only happens when I am using the retina one and just for some tasks.

I have the impression that if I only used the rMBP I would not complain much about it, but since I use different machines all the time I can compare the video performance between them. Even slower machines like a mid 2013 Macbook Air with 4gb ram performs better for some tasks. That is why I am sure my machine is pretty capable of doing what I use it for.

My only complain is about video performance, everything else works perfectly here and I do not think it has any kind problem at all, but this is supposed a more powerful machine, so I assume it should perform better than others considered slower ones.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I have the same computer albeit the 512GB version and I have never seen this lag or choppiness, it is widely reported though and seems to be an OSX retina display issue there really is nothing you can do short of not using it.

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

No you can't do that! Stick with Retina display. 99% of Photoshop fanboys prefer Retina display for damn good reasons!

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

People have complained about lagging/choppiness with various rMBPs including the 13" model. I wonder if the iGPU struggles at times. I can't answer that for sure since I don't own that model, but I have seen complaints.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've got that same model and have never noticed the lagging or choppiness. Perhaps I'm not looking hard enough. :)

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps, people have long complained about the 2012 rMBP and I've not really noticed it. I think once in a while maybe but overall performance of my rMBP has been solid.