Istanbul airport explosions: 10 dead, Justice minister says

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

"Ten people have died after Tuesday's explosions at Istanbul's airport, Turkish Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag said.
    Two suspects blew themselves up in the international terminal of Istanbul's Ataturk Airport, a Turkish official tells CNN.
    The official says police fired shots at suspects in the international terminal in an effort to neutralize them."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/28/europe/turkey-istanbul-airport-attacks/index.html

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Just saw this story: I know this airport extremely well and have transited through it on literally countless occasions en route to the Caucasus and various countries in Central Asia.

Good grief. Appalling.

3. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

The religion of peace hit again. Targeting innocent people. And in a muslim country. Senseless.

4. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Ah huh... So are you or are you not admitting that the people who were killed were also followers of Islam?

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You know.. nothing has been investigated or has been shown that this was from anything religious outside of your knee-jerked opinion of what you believe has happened.

How about waiting until some police work has been done before jumping to such conclusions. All that we know now is that there may be relation to the PKK on this, and seeing that they are a separatist group, we don't know if religion and Islam has to do with this.

So keep the knee-jerk to yourself, yes?

BL.

6. Ulenspiegel, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

@APlotdevice
    Read my post once again carefully. And spare my time with dumb questions.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 28, 2016 ---
    How about reading the news before "knee-jerking"? PKK suicide bombers? Brush up your knowledge in terrorist tactics.
    I can give you the same "extremely wise" advise: "keep the knee-jerk to yourself, yes?"

"At least 10 people have been killed and 20 others injured in the attack at Istanbul's Ataturk Airport, Turkey's Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag told CNN.
    The two suicide bombers were also killed. Bozdag said one attacker "first opened fire with a Kalashnikov then detonated himself" at the airport entrance.
    "
    (CNN)[Latest developments, published at 4:43 p.m. ET]

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It could well be the Kurds, so that would be anti Islamist.

8. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

With Hillary at the helm there's sure to be plenty of these events occurring with regularity somewhere in the US. She'll simply be carrying on with what the great Hussein endorses, the religion of love.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Again, you are jumping completely to conclusions without letting the authorities investigate and come up with who did this and why. Immediately you jump straight to Islam, Muslims and go off on a tirade. Like I said, stop with the knee-jerk and let the authorities do their job before playing armchair quarterback.

BL.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Turkey is blaming ISIS but since Erdogan is a lying dictator there is no sense even listening to the government reports.

11. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Jesus you really pulled that out of your rear end didn't you?

12. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Saddam has been dead for years. Get over your love of him. If you're referring to anyone else, please cite first or last names, not middle names as pejorative (it's childish).

Such glib generalizations. It feels good to say, doesn't it?

13. Ulenspiegel, Jun 28, 2016

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

It is not for the first time that you ignore the available facts and keep mumbling the same over and over again.
    It is a Forum, thus each and every member can express his/her opinion, despite your self-righteous manifestation.
    Your far-fetched verbal karate is pathetic.
    @thermodynamic
    The terrosist act was concrete, like the victims and the country where it happened.

You have a point, but it can be the same in case of PKK as well.

Update:
    "There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack. But one security analyst told Al Jazeera that the attack bore the hallmarks of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS), which carried out a "similar attack" at the Brussels airport in March."
    (Source)

"Police sources cited in Turkish media say they believe the attackers were affiliated with the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil). The methods behind the attack and the fact that tourists may have been targeted led to initial speculation that Isil was involved, and the initial investigation apparently bears that out, though nothing is confirmed at this time."
    (Source)

"There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, the latest in a string of suicide bombings this year, but the Dogan news agency said initial indications suggested Islamic State may have been responsible, citing police sources."
    (Source)

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's important to remember that the account for @maxsix is a chatbot using a dictionary built from right-wing news sources with a simple algorithm designed to make vague arguments about President Obama and various Democrats.

It's a pretty good implementation, but it would never pass the Turing Test.

You didn't think that was really a person, did you?

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

USAToday.com is reporting that almost 50 people have been killed in the attack.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/06/28/reports-least-10-dead-blast-istanbul-airport/86481174/

16. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

This is horrible news! Once again the lives of innocent people have been taken by terrorists. I know I shouldn't judge before more information has been released, but I would not be surprised if ISIS is behind the attack. No matter who it was, we should and will never give in to terrorism.

Anyway, I hope that the wounded will be quickly back on their feet again. I wish all the bereaved strength.

17. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

For all we know it could be one of the small separarist kurdish groups, or daesh itself, in retaliation for the changes in terms of territory in Syria. Please stick to the facts.

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The religion of peace attacked Istanbul? I did not realize that the religion had achieved sentience and was running amok.

People, who claim they follow Islam, attacked fellow Muslims in an airport based on their brutal, ascetic understanding of the religion mixed with a potent modern nihilism.

Remember that we have to judge a religion not just by its ruthless adherents, but the everyday practitioners who were living mundane, but beautiful lives just before they were snuffed out.

To argue that the religion is inherently violent is to judge not just the attackers, but also their victims.

19. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Let us stick to the available facts:

"A senior U.S. counterterrorism official told NBC News the Istanbul attack "fits the ISIS profile, not PKK."
    There are only two groups capable of carrying out such a large-scale attack. This does not fit the PKK profile, they go after Turkish targets, not international targets," the official said."
    (Source)

"ISTANBUL (AP) — The Latest on the explosions at Istanbul's Ataturk airport (all times local):
    1:20 a.m.
    A senior Turkish government official has told The Associated Press all initial indications suggest the Islamic State group is behind the attack at Istanbul's Ataturk airport.
    The official also said nearly 50 people were killed in the attack Tuesday at the airport's international terminal and as many as four attackers may have been involved.
    The official spoke on condition of anonymity in line with government protocol."
    (Source)

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

All of this is circumstantial, not concrete. Get back to us when the authorities present concrete evidence, then we'll believe you.

BL.

21. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

No comment.

22. Benjamin Frost, Jun 28, 2016

Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Once again, it appears that Muslim terrorists are carrying out murder in the name of Islam.

The Christian Bible tells us not to kill. It's time that Muslims converted to Christianity, in my humble opinion, if we are to see a reduction in murder around the world.

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Remind me of something: How many of people have the British killed over the years? In Afghanistan? Pakistan? In Germany? in Poland? In Italy? In the USA?

I'll even include the USA with the same question.

If the "Christian Bible" tells you not to kill, you and your lot have a hell of a lot of repenting to do, because your lot can't even live up to the sermon you're trying to preach.

BL.

24. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I heard Obama was briefed on the attack and scoffed that it was probably the "JV Team" again. I also heard he scolded the Turkish leaders not enforcing a ban on assault rifles and how it has resulted in a Kalashinikov being used in the attack.