It’s a life changing experience!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Techtrender, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Techtrender, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014

Techtrender macrumors newbie

It’s a life changing experience ... the decision to let go of Windows in favor of OS X :apple:

As a child, I was fascinated by computers and technology. I knew working with computers is what I wanted to do for a living when I grew up. My parents purchased our first PC back in the late 80's and I have been a PC user ever since.

Back in the good old days, as a teenager, I wanted to get my hands dirty repairing, building and overclocking computers. I really enjoyed the thrill of it. (I lost count as to how many PCs I actually built over the years. I must have built hundreds) Unfortunately, I always felt that Macs are very limited to what you can do with them when it comes to hardware upgrades, overclocking and all that good stuff.

I went on to college, got myself a Computer Science degree and a career in IT. In addition to holding many technical certifications (MCSE, MCSA, RHCE, CCNA, NETWORK+) just to name a few, I'm also a programmer/web designer and a freelance photographer/videographer.

In my early career days as an IT professional, I worked with Macs, Linux/Unix boxes, Windows Servers as well as PCs. My interaction with Macs were never more than the initial setup configurations, part replacements, network setups and to troubleshoot problems for Mac end-users even though I was never a Mac user.

But it wasn't until last year, when I purchased my first iPad that I realized I was missing out on so much. I went out and got myself a Retina Macbook Pro with Mavericks installed. For the first time ever in my life, I was truly WOWed by an Apple product.

Ever since that day, my opinion has completely changed on the OS X operating system and Apple in general. When family members and friends reach out to me for advice and recommendations on their next computer purchase, I simply recommend Apple. I almost always get the "Wait a second, aren't you a Microsoft Certified System Engineer? How could you possibly recommend Apple instead!!!" Followed by a puzzled look on their faces. I simply tell them, it's apple :apple: and :) oranges. If you want a worry free experience, less headaches, less down time and want to enjoy technology in it prettiest and finest form, then Apple is the way to go.

Since the beginning of this year, I've recommended Apple products to several friends and family members. They purchased and loved their Macs. I also wanted to buy an iMac to replace my windows workstation but I decided to wait and see what Apple's October event was going to bring to the market. For months, I was following every bit of news or information about what the next iMac is going to be. With all the speculation and anticipation across the online world, I waited patiently for the the big announcement on October 16th, 2014. I watched the keynotes live and I was thrilled to hear about the 5K iMac and started to read every review and watched almost every video about it.

Then I started to read about performance issues that were mentioned here and elsewhere. At first, I was worried and thought of waiting for the next release but then I quickly realized that heat issues have been discussed across the industry for years. I decided to visit the nearest Apple store to see the iMac 5K in person. I took my wife and kids to the Apple store at the local Mall. My kids were amazed, my wife was speechless and I was, once again, WOWed.

After about a week or so of decision-making and going back and forth between ordering the iMac or wait. I finally decided to pull the trigger and ordered the iMac 5K with Apple Care and couldn't be happier. I figured Apple care should bring us some peace of mind in-case something goes wrong over the first three years.
    I don't really plan to keep it for more than five years. I'll most likely end-up upgrading in three to four years. If something was to go wrong after Apple care expires, then my PC repairing experience will kick in to take care of any issues or part replacements.

At this point of my life, on a personal level of course, I'm done with Windows as a main workstation operating system. Apple, by all means, is in a class by itself. I'm taken off my suit in exchange for jeans and sneakers :) I'm now proud to announce that I'm officially an Apple guy. I look forward to truly enjoy living on the cutting edge of technology with Apple products. Remember, this is coming from an MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) ;)

Thanks for reading!

2. Thorf13 macrumors member

I don't have your qualifications, but otherwise my path to the Mac is not all that different from yours.

I too grew up with Windows machines. I had some experience of Macs in the early 90s at school, and I hated every minute of working on them. In hindsight, it could be that my school's Macs were not up to spec. Or it might be that I just disliked the differences between Windows and the Mac's OS. I don't really even remember anymore.

In any case, this left me with a firm dislike of anything Mac that persisted until I got an iPod touch, then my first iPhone. The iPad followed, and I began to look into Macs seriously for the first time ever. I was impressed with what I found. Compounding this was a series of really bad experiences with Dell PCs, all of which guided me firmly to the Mac.

With the release of the Retina MacBook Pro, I knew I'd found the machine I wanted. I was not disappointed. The OS itself was surprisingly easy to slip into. At this stage I consider the differences between Windows and OS X to be mainly cosmetic, and I can (and do) happily use either. But what really impressed me was the Retina display.

It really has to be experienced to be understood. Of course this started with the iPhone and then iPad, both of which gained a new clarity that made them so much better. But it works even better in computers.

Two years of the Retina display has made me shun all other monitors, to the extent that I use the 15" display even when I have the choice of plugging in an external 24" display. Comparing the two, you can make out far more detail in photos and images on the Retina screen. It's not simply a matter of it displaying more pixels: the Retina screen actually makes images look sharper, and allows you to make out details that get obscured on a lesser display.

Of course, as with you, the logical next step was to replace my desktop with an iMac. I considered this many times over the last two years, but it always came down to the Retina display: I couldn't buy an iMac until it too had one.

So here we are. My iMac 5K Retina is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. I can't wait to try it out and see what the new screen does for my images.

3. tximacusr macrumors member

Welcome aboard.

Congrats on joining Apple.I switched in 2010 after yrs of having to scan my drives for viruses and malware.

Now get ready for the backlash of apple haters.

4. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I cut my virtual teeth on DOS and on Windows. Went through the whole progression of Windows right up to XP Pro. Avoided ME, thank goodness! I dealt with the frustrations that came along with the virus scan, the ad-aware scan, the this-and-that which seemed to be an inevitable part of using Windows. I was into photography. Even though I had a fairly recent-model computer with 2 GB RAM (this was back in 2005) I took it for granted that when I had a memory card filled with images to put into my computer, that I'd have to reboot prior to doing that and then reboot after doing it before I could move on. I was resigned to only being able to work on a few images in post-processing before the machine would start slowing down and I'd have to...yeah, reboot.

Then I was away from home for a several-month period, and while I had something to use in the other location, it was no surprise to me that once I returned home and turned on my machine that it would all but choke at the work it had to do: updating virus scans, updating ad-aware scans, etc., etc. It took a VERY long time before I could finally just USE the darned machine again. On top of that I remembered that one of the CD/DVD drives had gone on the fritz not too many days before I'd had to leave town. Sigh.... Maybe it was time to be thinking about something new?

A friend had in the meantime gotten a new G5 iMac and was totally thrilled with it. I read her emails and thought, "huh, a MAC?" One of those...strange things? So one day out of curiosity when I was at the mall I stopped in at the Apple store for a look at what they had to offer, including the G5 iMac. Gee, all their machines were pretty, but, hey, they were...y'know, kind of alien to the Windows Way...... I went online to find out a little more about the Mac and to determine for once and for all what a terrible mistake my friend had made in buying a Mac. I found MacRumors......

Well, this place was a revelation to me. Instead of finding a lot of threads and posts filled with gripes about their machines or the software, I was seeing an awful lot of posts from people who were really happy with their Macs and doing all kinds of neat things with their Macs. HUH?!!! I kept compulsively looking in on MacRumors, irresistibly attracted..... Gee, maybe these Macs weren't so weird or bad after all....?

I went back to the Apple store, this time with a few questions and more concrete interest in their offerings. I happened to get a salesperson who was very happy and overly eager to show me all the wonderful things an iMac could do....without giving me much opportunity to play with it myself, have a lot of hands-on "if I do this, what happens? If I do that, what happens" experience..... I returned home but a seed still had been been flourishing, already planted first by my friend and then MacRumors getting it going.....

In the meantime I was also still fighting with my Windows machine and about ready to throw the thing out the window.

A few days later I needed to run into Microcenter to pick up some printer paper and a couple of new printer cartridges. Hey....they had an Apple section.... No one was there when I walked in and plopped myself down in front of the nearest Mac. I spent the next hour or so blissfully undisturbed, really getting a feel for these things: the iMac, the PowerMac, the PowerBook, the iBook..... I played with all of them, communed with them....saw what happened when I did this, when I did that. Saw the differences between Windows and the Mac, which even back then were not as vastly different as I had imagined, although then the Mac was on the PPC platform.

Came home.....the seed was nudging its way through the earth, ready to burst into full bloom..... I think it was around this time that I actually joined MacRumors because I wanted to ask some questions. I asked the questions, kept reading.....

A few days later there was a keynote so I sat in front of my now-doomed Windows machine to follow it, see what Steve Jobs had to say. He enthusiastically presented the first iMac with a built-in iSight camera. WOW! I listened to him, watched the presentation and thought, "I don't need a built-in camera, I really like the iMac just as it is...." UH-OH..... A day or so later it dawned on me that they'd probably be reducing prices on the just-supplanted iMac as they brought in the newest model. UH-OH.....

So next thing you know I'm in the Apple store buying -- gasp! -- my first Mac. I was still a little uncertain. The Apple guy asked me, "do you have a wireless network?" Uh...well, yeah, I said, trying not to remember what a hassle that had been trying to get it set up with my Windows desktop and my Windows laptop. "Great! Your new iMac will hook right into that and you'll be all set!" the sales guy said. I looked at him and nodded, saying politely, "Oh, OK...." while thinking, "Yeah, RIGHT, buddy!"

Got the new machine home. Put it on the dining table while I went about the business of getting set up. It fired up with this wonderful intro, then the registration stuff, then something else....and somewhere along the line it belatedly occurred to me that, hey, I was ONLINE! NO HASSLE! NO configuration issues, no fuss, no muss!!! Whoa, WOW!!!

I was up half the night with my new machine, just as I had anticipated I might be -- but instead of fighting with it to get things properly configured I was actually having FUN with it, right from the get-go. Wow, what a concept! I was even more pleased the next day when I got around to seeing how things went with the photo stuff, and was dumbfounded when I could go ahead and upload a memory card full of new images and then immediately start processing them without having to reboot before, in-between or after. Wow what a concept!

I was hooked from that time on.....and still am, as I happily type on my 2012 iMac with my rMBP in the other room and my iPads and iPhone nearby.....

Uh, yeah, that retina iMac.....I haven't gotten to the Apple store since they became available and, well, I'm kind of afraid to do so because I have this awful hunch about what's going to happen. I'm going to want one.....

5. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

I am very similar. A 20 year Windows/Dos veteran, I built and serviced computers and specialized in onsite support for home/business users. Malware was not fun. Watching scanning bars creep across the screen even less fun.

Got an iPhone, then later a mac mini, and now the iMac 5k. It is way ahead of anytime. Want to get a Mac Pro too :)

I want to enjoy life, not be trying to fix it all the time.

And OSX/IOS is helping me big time accomplish that.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Good for you. My first Mac was a 15'' rMBP purchased new in 2012. Absolutely wowed me having used Windows PCs all my life. Haven't looked back since.

7. Steveatesh macrumors regular

Steveatesh

My first iMac too, bought for retina screen and photos. Nearly three weeks in and the screen is everything I could ask for, photos are beautiful. Still learning the OS mind, not sure what it can do or how to do it so lots to learn and tutorials to dig I to.

I do like the installation of applications, and the removal by simply dragging into the trash can. I love finder, everything simply organized, but don't like the launch pad as a load of windows program icons appeared from me installing Parallels and I can't get rid of them :( it's messy and I even preferred the tiles in Windows 8.1 to launch pad. More user control over launch pad woud be great, unless I'm missing something.

I still need access to some windows only programs but am as far as possible using the OSX dedicated applications. So currently running in hybrid, between the two, which is making my workflow more complex than it should be!

I think I still have a long way to go to be in a position where I am getting the best of the OS, just need time to get into YouTube tutorials I think!

8. joema2 macrumors 65816

joema2

In Launch Pad you can drag those on top of each other and it will automatically make a "folder" or collective program group, just like on iOS.

9. Frits48 macrumors newbie

I'll race you for it Connie, let's see who gets one first! :D
    (I have played with one in the Apple store a couple of times - WOW!)

10. RUQRU macrumors regular

RUQRU

Thanks for all the great stories about how you came to the Mac.

My story is different. Started in 1982 when I walked into J&R Computer World on Park Row in lower Manhattan, near the World Trade Center. I became enthralled with the Atari 800 with its massive 48KB of RAM. Two years later the Mac was announced. I knew I had to have one but put it off until later in the year when the "Fat Mac" came out with 512KB RAM. Got it and loved it. From 1984-1998 I had a number of different Macs ending with the Performa 400.

At the time I was working in an all PC world. When the Perform died Apple was in a bad place. Many new users may not remember, but Apple was thought to be heading toward bankruptcy and oblivion at that time. Jobs had not yet turned the company back to its true path. So I bought a PC. Then I built a number of PCs over the years, each more powerful but still Windows.

Then as Apple began its rise to what it is today I kept wanting to get back to the Mac World. But I kept thinking the machines too expensive, I would have to buy all new software and so on. But I really want to get back!

So the last time I used a Mac System 9 was all the rage. To get back I started with the iPhone 3G, then an iPad 3, then more iPhones, 4, 4S, 5, 5S and now the 6 Plus!

Then the riMac came out and I told my wife "this is it, I am getting that computer." Something else happened too, I found that with Adobe CC I had no additional expense in switching from PC to Mac. Also, most of the other software I use had a license that could be used on either platform. Woo Hoo!

My new riMac 5K will be here Monday. I then plan to disassemble my PC and put the parts back in their boxes and sell them on eBay. I am done with Windows forever.

11. Thorf13 macrumors member

I wonder how many people like us have been brought to the Mac via iPhones and iPads... It's a conglomeration of small advantages in keeping to Apple's ecosystem that makes the Mac attractive to iPhone and iPad users. Yosemite's latest features make this truer than ever.

This part is a deciding factor for me, too. Before Creative Cloud, I had a CS4 Master Collection PC license, which effectively locked me into Windows. Creative Cloud has meant it's possible to easily switch back and forth, or straddle both operating systems if necessary.

I have also found, though, that having Windows available is unfortunately still a necessity. There are always programs that are Windows-only, and if you need to use them there's no avoiding Parallels or Boot Camp. I've got Parallels on my Retina MacBook Pro, but I'm thinking of going with Boot Camp on my Retina iMac when it arrives. Parallels is great for resource-light programs (such as the test making software I need for work), but not so good for heavy lifting.

12. RUQRU macrumors regular

RUQRU

It is funny about CC in a way. If you recall there was quite an uproar when Adobe announced that their apps would be a subscription going forward and no more boxed software. At first I felt that way too until they came out with the $9.95 (US) photography program for Photoshop and Lightroom.

Well, I bet for many people that change by Adobe allows them to change platforms easily. I suspect most movement is from PC to Mac.

13. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Yep, that's pretty much my story. I have been using, building, and repairing computers since the mid 80's. It's fun to tinker with them. It seems however the older I get, the less I want to spend hours and hours messing with a perfectly good machine.

I purchased my first iMac back in 2007 and haven't looked back.

14. jday7757 macrumors member

Count me as another longtime PC user getting ready to switch to the RiMac because now I can migrate both my Adobe CC and Office 365 subscriptions without cost.

15. Techtrender, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014

Techtrender thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all for sharing your stories about how you joined the Apple kingdom.
    It's a true pleasure to read your stories. I hope more forum members contribute and add their stories.

I'm sure you'll be delighted. I can't wait to get that "Shipped" notification email. Enjoy your new Mac and use it well.

Thank you. Yes, it's happening already...lol ... Haters don't bother me though.
    As Anthony Hopkins once said:
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier."

Trust me, if you go to the Apple store and look at it, you'll end up buying it. ;) It's like Magic!
    I was at Micro Center last night with my brother and as soon as I showed him the iMac 5K he was shocked and amazed. He couldn't believe how beautiful it looked. He just called me about 10 mins ago and he is getting one as well.

Good for you! You're making the right decision.

16. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

I went to Mac at the beginning of last year after spending 10 years on Windows.

Although I don’t have the qualifications, I’d done the odd repair or upgrade on my PC (usually fitting extra ram, extra cd/dvd drive, replacing faulty graphics card). But the main reason for me moving to Mac was that I find Windows problematic and also I spent a lot of my time running maintenance on my PC such as defraging, scanning for virus’s, scanning for malware and other nasties and also spending time problem solving (some people might like to do this, but I don’t). And lastly, I did not want to purchase my next Windows PC and have it installed with Windows 8. I’d spent a few days using a friends machine and I absolutely hated Windows 8.

I spent a good few months looking into Mac and asking various questions I had on various forums etc. And also looking around to see if the software I used on Windows was available on Mac or if there is an equivalent piece of software that would do the same thing on Mac (and in pretty much all of the cases there is). I first became aware of Apple when I purchased my first iPhone in 2009 and since then, I’ve purchased the iPad, Apple TV and especially when you have these other Apple products, a Mac is a good choice (although you don’t need to have these devices to have a Mac).

I do have Windows installed on my Mac, but this is for my girlfriend, she has a collection of CD Roms and these will only run on Windows, but apart from that, I don’t use Windows now. Nowadays, I prefer to use a computer, rather than spend the limited time I have on maintaining and problem solving.

On the whole, I find Mac to be a lot more reliable than Windows and although Mac’s are not immune from virus’s and other nasties, I have not been infected with anything nasty. For peace of mind, I run a scan every month or so with ClamXav, this is free and basically only runs when you manually load it up, to date, its always showed my system to be clean.

17. EdDuPlessis macrumors 6502

Such an awesome post, congrats on the "conversion" ;))

18. touchUpInside macrumors member

touchUpInside

a shout out to MS-Windows

New convert here too. However, I am developing an appreciation for the power and richness of Windows and am glad (through Parallels and remote desktop) that I have access to both OS realms.

19. Lankyman macrumors 68000

Life changing - really?

Losing a limb, having some life threatening illness, having your first child, helping those less fortunate than yourselves, I could go on, are all life changing experiences.

Getting a new computer with a different operating system is not and what you claim devalues all the above.

Sorry but a little more perspective and thought about your post might be better received. :(

20. Quixotic3 macrumors newbie

I have a similar background to the OP my first computer had 2 5.25 floppy drives and weighed about 80 pounds if I remember correctly. I also went into IT with the same kind of credentials MSCE etc. I went Mac and never looked back when Apple changed to the intel chip. I was able to convince my relatives to make the same change... and this is where it is a life changing experience... gone are the hours of free virus removal at the holidays... gone are the "I deleted a program and now my DLL's are messed up ...what are DLL's can I buy more?" ...gone are the can you install this or that new game on my 6 year old computer... gone are the calls that my hard drive failed can you get my pictures back(I set up Time Machine on their machines)

I set up my relatives computers for free and offer them support anytime they need it... I have a some rules 1. buy a mac 2. get applecare and 3. set up Time Machine. I spend 90% less time fixing computers and have a much better experience at the holidays ... so yeah, life changing

21. apolloa, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

hahaha... I believe their are more than a few IT professionals that have Macs at home, leave the Windows at work.. I worked in IT for 8 years and went through Windows from 95 to XP, I even built my own dual Xeon home machine at the time which when I got rid of it I had to take to the dump as it was worthless (my now 5 years old MacBook Pro can still easily be sold on ebay!).

Anyway, I replaced the dual Xeon machine with a MacBook Pro, the pre unibody one, I then replaced that with a unibody model and then that with my current 2010 machine which when I get the money will again be replaced with a Mac, not sure which yet.

Anyway yeah, you don't tend to miss Windows with a Mac as they are very very very very smooth machines. I've had problems with my Macs but only the hardware, never the software.

It was actually my sister who got me into getting a Mac, I had one before a Performa 460 but that was years and years ago, so I had Windows for a long time before switching to Mac.

22. Quixotic3 macrumors newbie

23. Techtrender, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2014

Techtrender thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much!

I really don't think you understood the meaning behind my post and why it's a life changing experience for me. You are entitled to your own opinion though. But, you're not entitled to make false accusations. I never claimed what you listed above to be devaluing to what you listed.
    To be quite honest, your post makes zero sense to me.

24. Thorf13 macrumors member

Surely there is room for different shades of "life changing"? I didn't see anyone in this thread saying that their change to Mac was tantamount to any of the experiences you mentioned. I also don't see how it takes away from any of those experiences. Are you suggesting that we shouldn't talk about the little things in life? Looking at the name of this forum, it seems pretty obvious that this is a place for talking about Macs.

Moreover it's not a place for talking about any of the experiences you mention. As it happens, one of my friends recently lost a limb, and my wife and I recently had our second child. Do you think that because I'm talking about Macs here that I've somehow lost sight of the magnitude of these events, and somehow think that getting a Mac is equal to or superior to them?

What a strange thing to even think. :confused:

I guess your argument is that this is hyperbole, and you may be right, but this also depends on personal perspective. You consider "life-changing" to be some sort of sacred expression, but the original poster was probably just taking it literally. Lots of things change our lives, after all.

I'm not clear on whether your post is trolling or not, because you did express yourself reasonably, albeit with a holier-than-thou attitude. But you certainly opened the door for the troll who came after you. Thanks for injecting some vitriol into a nice positive thread. Great job there.

25. rainydays macrumors 6502a

Good to hear such a positive experience! :) There's so much negativity on this forum.

I've never really considered myself to be a Windows user. I've been more of a Windows-fixer for other people. :)

My first computer was a SORD M5 (really cute little thing with rubber keys), and a few years later I got a C64, and then moved on to the Amiga which was light years ahead of PC at the time. Knowing there was better alternatives I never really got why people were using DOS/WIN.
    I did use Windows briefly in the late 90's and never really like the experience, had a small affair with both OS/2 and Linux because of that.

But when I got my own Intel box I was running BeOS as my main OS. Yet another OS that was ahead of its time (and actually considered by Apple at one point to be the next MacOS). It had the simplicity of MacOS but was much more advanced underneath the hood. It was abandoned in the early 00s however and I briefly tried to replace it with Ubuntu but even though I'm skilled with computers I don't want to tinker with things all the time just to keep my system running.

I had kept an eye on Macs all the time and saw OS X mature into a really good OS. When they moved over to Intel I thought it was time for me to get a Mac and I've never looked back since.
    Finally a system that had simplicity, elegance and power just like Amiga and BeOS, but with the important difference of being supported by a large variety of third party developers.

Being a geek I've not been very happy with Apples directions regarding the hardware lately. I'd like to be able to repair, upgrade and replace things fairly easy. But they still make the best platform out there in my opinion so I'm putting up with it. :)

And yes, that retina display is amazing. For me it's the biggest advancement in computer technology since SSDs. I hope you enjoy it!