It’s getting scary: Not too much rumor about MBA update

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by hohohong, Apr 12, 2010.

  1. hohohong macrumors 6502a

    Jun 1, 2007
    All the talk about 15” and 17” MBP update and nothing much for the 13” MBP and MBA.

    What gives? I was really hoping for MBA update!
  2. gimmi80 macrumors member

    Apr 10, 2010
  3. cleric macrumors 6502a


    Jun 7, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Even though all the model numbers were for macbook airs?
  4. Scottsdale macrumors 601


    Sep 19, 2008
    Don't worry yet. I will not be surprised if the MBA doesn't get updated tomorrow (whenever the MBPs get updated). Of course we all want them to be updated, but there's even speculation of no 13" MBP. The bottom line is only part of the information might have been released. Plus, the paper that called April 13th as the update day said MBP and MBA updates. In the past, we never got any information about MBAs when they were updated. Last June there wasn't a single rumor about its update.

    However, I wonder if the reason here is either the graphics issue or the CPU shortages for ultraportables. I still think an MBA at WWDC makes a lot of sense as much as I don't want to wait. It just seems that Apple taking its time is probably a good thing. I don't want Apple to rush this and stick us with only Intel's GMA IGP - that would be devastating. Apple seems to have a bunch of updates coming this year... new LED ACD, new Macs all the way around probably including one graphics solution across the majority of the spectrum, new iPhone, new iPods, and maybe even another new product.

    I say we wait and hope that if it comes tomorrow the MBA is better than the current model. Apple would be better off providing no update and just a 4 GB RAM spec bump with larger SSD and maybe glass trackpad than sticking us with a Core i5 ULV CPU and only Intel's GMA IGP. So I prefer we wait until it means we get the MBA we truly want/need.

    I only want an MBA that's an improvement even if only the RAM we desperately need. On the other hand, wouldn't it be great to have an MBA that dominated the ultraportable market as the current v 2,1 MBA was when released in October 2008?
  5. hohohong thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Jun 1, 2007
    I only have 1 wish: able to play 1080p movie smoothly!
  6. gglockner macrumors 6502


    Nov 25, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    MBP updated but not MBA. Glad I didn't wait to buy my MBA.
  7. Manatee macrumors 6502a


    Oct 20, 2003
    Washington DC
    No MBA update. :(

    I was really hoping for an update -- mild speed bump, 4GB RAM, maybe the glass track pad.

    I wonder if it'll be updated at WWDC? Or if it's on "hiatus" while the iPad makes its mark, perhaps to be resurrected in another form in the future?

    I really like the Air, but my 1st gen just doesn't cut it anymore, and I'm wary of buying the current version when the specs are so far out of date.
  8. stewie1 macrumors member

    Feb 23, 2010
    I think the rumors of a MBA/13" MBP mashup have just become a lot more believable.
  9. tdj macrumors newbie

    Oct 16, 2008
    wait a sec, isn't this not a bad thing - just so long as MBA gets improved at least to the same lines as the 13" mbp? the 13" did get mild improvements! now if they just jam that into the MBA, then the MBA will be a bit better, right? maybe it's just taking a little longer for steve to jam all of that stuff into such a small frame? i realize it's not as awesome as we had hoped, but it's like scottsdale said - he'd rather have a mildly improved machine than one that uses integrated graphics ...
  10. roxygal9 macrumors regular


    Jan 28, 2010
    Wow the 13 in MBP update is not good. Does anyone think that Apple may be discontinuing the Air by chance? ANyone think there is still a chance it will be updated?

    The 10 hr battery life is reat for the MBP, and graphics are decent, but adding a ssd to it will bring it up to 1799 for high end...Not sure if id rather spend that and get a MBA.

    Should I wait a litttle longer to see if MBA? Sigh not happy :mad:
  11. stewie1 macrumors member

    Feb 23, 2010
    I would wait, because the "update" to the 13" MBP is, quite frankly, insulting.

    If you spend that kind of money on a C2D computer today, you will regret it in a few years.
  12. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

    Apr 28, 2008
    Guess I'll hold onto my Rev. B MBA for a while longer :)
  13. hohohong thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Jun 1, 2007
    I think everyone in the MBA forum is upset at the update today.

    MBA doesn’t really have a decent update since Rev B (Rev C is a joke and I don’t consider it as an upgrade). So, since 2008?

    And you would have thought that 2 years should be plenty of time for Apple to come up with a complete redesign.

    Anyway, at this point, there’s only 2 possibilities:

    Discontinue soon,…. or
    A major update in the summer (June is reserved for iPhone, so any month before and after is a safe bet)?

    Anyway, the lack of MBA update at least gives us hope that the next one should be a major one.

Share This Page