It’s such bs we can’t buy a iPhone X without a phone company

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
It is called contract availability restriction.

To change that you can:

1)Convince politicians at state and national level to make it illegal.

2) Volunteer to pay the legal fees of all sides to negotiate the removal of sales and distribution restrictions from the contracts Apple has with the cell phone companies. Also pay any associated fees, payoffs, royalties and indemnifications. Convincing Apple and the other parties it is in their best financial interest.

3) Move to another country that doesn't have any restrictions you don't like.

4) Pretend

Reactions: 358547

orev

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015
It has been the same for every iPhone launch in the past. They have deals with the carriers as it forces you to stay with the one you have in order to get the new phone.

Reactions: QueenTyrone

Treyhunna

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2017
lol, oh them resellers mad....if u buying I a iPhone, how do u not have a call phone plan?

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Even today with the iPhone 8 it is only giving you the option to buy one of the four major carrier phones directly from Apple. I think the part of the order process where it checks with the carrier is for people on monthly payment plans or contracts. They need to check with the carrier to see if you’re eligible for an upgrade. Which is why with T-Mobile branded phones it doesn’t do that.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
What was apple thinking ?
Apple was thinking they need to keep the 4 national carriers happy since they sell a bazillion phones through the carriers.
[doublepost=1509073316][/doublepost]
Even today with the iPhone 8 it is only giving you the option to buy one of the four major carrier phones directly from Apple.
Not if you buy the SIM free model.

Sappharad

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2009
I mean... why would you need a phone if you don’t have a carrier...?
So you're not stuck with the Intel modem.
For someone like me, the only reason I'm NOT pre-ordering is because I'm on AT&T and with the iPhone 7 the Intel modem caused me to have significantly less battery life than the 6 I had before it. If I go to the battery screen right now, it says 28% of my battery loss is due to "No Cell Coverage". The Intel modems do a really bad job in areas with weak signal, while the Qualcomm ones handle that better.

I'm stuck waiting for the unlocked model, so I can get one where I know my battery life won't be impacted by a lousy modem.

Edit: To clarify this more, battery life is still impacted by a weak signal no matter which model you get. If you have good service where you live, the Intel modem is not a problem and shouldn't be a reason not to buy the phone. In my case, go between 1 bar and no service at work and 1 & 2 bars at home. Thus I'm more impacted by the modem than most people. There are some threads about the iPhone 8 (same modems as X) where people have confirmed that the 8 still has the signal problems where the Verizon (Qualcomm) model does a better job than Intel (AT&T / TMobile) model.

Last edited:

Hoosier317

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
So you're not stuck with the Intel modem.
For someone like me, the only reason I'm NOT pre-ordering is because I'm on AT&T and with the iPhone 7 the Intel modem caused me to have significantly less battery life than the 6 I had before it. If I go to the battery screen right now, it says 28% of my battery loss is due to "No Cell Coverage". The Intel modems do a really bad job in areas with weak signal, while the Qualcomm ones handle that better.

I'm stuck waiting for the unlocked model, so I can get one where I know my battery life won't be impacted by a lousy modem.
...umm...I think that post you responded to went right over your head. Without a carrier...without a phone company...an iPhone is basically a small WiFi only iPad. It stops being a phone without the carrier/phone company aspect of the equation. It's like saying, "it's such bs we can't buy a plane without wings."

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2012
Even today with the iPhone 8 it is only giving you the option to buy one of the four major carrier phones directly from Apple. I think the part of the order process where it checks with the carrier is for people on monthly payment plans or contracts. They need to check with the carrier to see if you’re eligible for an upgrade. Which is why with T-Mobile branded phones it doesn’t do that.
Incorrect, you have been able to buy the 8 or 8 plus sim free since launch.

Sappharad

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2009
...umm...I think that post you responded to went right over your head. Without a carrier...without a phone company...an iPhone is basically a small WiFi only iPad. It stops being a phone without the carrier/phone company aspect of the equation. It's like saying, "it's such bs we can't buy a plane without wings."
The post is rather vague, the OP does not state their intention. I agree that it does not make sense to buy an iPhone X to use it without phone service. The only people who should be doing that are developers who need a device to test on that isn't for personal use.

femin

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
so If i don't have a Verizon account i can't buy a Verizon iphone X tonight? how about if I choose pay in full?

I have tmobile but i dont want tmobile because it has less band

iPhone Xcited

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
Arizona
so If i don't have a Verizon account i can't buy a Verizon iphone X tonight? how about if I choose pay in full?

I have tmobile but i dont want tmobile because it has less band
Not through Apple.com/Apple Store app. Reason is because it asks you for Verizon account details, even if paying in full. Try buying a Verizon iPhone 8 as a test. You'll see what I mean.

Best Buy and Target, yes.

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Nope as soon as the Apple store returns, you can order an iPhone 8 SIM-Free model. It was there for the iPhone 8 pre-order date and is still there. However, it is not an option for the upcoming iPhone X pre-orders here in the USA.

The purpose of connecting to the Carrier is to have the iPhone pre-set to work for the large bulk of customers that don't frequent macrumors forums. Just a quick activation once the device is received and 99.99% of the customers are covered.

Dave

Reactions: iPhone Xcited