Other It’s wild that the iPhone X screen is larger than the Plus iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xxray, May 22, 2019.

1. xxray macrumors 6502a

Sometimes, I long for a smaller iPhone but then check out the X/S in store and then say to myself “No, the screen is too small.” It’s 5.8 inches. But then I use my old 6+, a 5.5 inch screen, and it doesn’t feel small or cramped really. Wild.

This might be a worthless thread but it stands out to me enough that I have to say it to someone who might care.

2. now i see it macrumors 68040

3. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

The iPhone X & XS may have a taller screen but it is narrower than the Plus iPhones. It's not really accurate to compare them just based on their diagonal length since they have different aspect ratios.

See below for what this means:
    Screen-Shot-2017-10-01-at-1.31.43-PM.png

4. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

AFAIK calculations I read show the Plus phone actually to be bigger in terms of total display area I think.

5. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

When I had my iPhone X the screen was great but I always missed the extra width I had with the iPhone plus that I was used to..... with the XS Max problem solved.

6. uscgrad macrumors member

The extra width of the Plus does give the illusion of it being significantly bigger to me eye. Regardless, I just cannot look at that bezel anymore. If you can afford it, the Max is the way to go.

7. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

That's because the display area of Plus is literally and has been mathematically calculated to be larger than the X.

The diagonal measurement doesn't represent the display area.

5.8" - smaller area than 5.5" Plus
    6.1" - larger area than 5.5" Plus
    6.5" - significantly larger area than 5.5" Plus