It Gets Better: Apple Employees

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FreeState, Apr 14, 2011.

1. FreeState, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2011

FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWYqsaJk_U8

Well worth the watch. Im so glad they did this.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    ***Moderator Note: This thread is now associated with a front-page news story. Due to the potentially controversial nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

2. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

that made me tear up for sure. thanks for posting it. The Trevor project is a really great organization.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

4. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Personally, I think it's great. However, they should be careful. Moves like this have the potential to alienate customers. That said, props to the employees.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

Nice to see a little corporate social responsibility coming from all of those companies.

:)

6. jonnyb macrumors 65816

If they alienate customers who think bullying people into suicidal depression is a good thing, then great.

7. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Or perhaps enlighten them.

Good on ya, Apple!

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep. I see no reason to worry about people like that.

10. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Pixar did a similar video like this, it was the first one I've seen. Glad to see Apple doing one as well. :) Great idea, very nice! :D

11. Popeye206 macrumors 68040

Popeye206

This is good to see. Seems as though teens are under many social pressures that didn't seem to exist when I was a teen (in the 70's). Knowing there is a light at the end of the tunnel may help a few from making the ultimate bad choice.

Good on Apple, all the other companies, and the employees for participating in this type of project.

12. LaDirection macrumors 6502

13. onicon macrumors regular

onicon

Knowing how bullying feels like when it's done to you, no matter why or what the difference is, i really appreciate them doing this.

14. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

and 8 morons hit the "negative" button. That's why videos like this are necessary. Because there are a lot of stupid people out there who don't understand the world as it is.

15. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

no matter how you feel, people shouldn't be bullied.

16. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

17. Lucky736 macrumors 6502a

Lucky736

Agreed on the being careful. Not everyone shares these views and alienating others b/c of it is a bit hypocritical given the subject of the video no?

18. bartelby macrumors Core

Why on earth are people marking this as 'negative'?!?

19. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

I have a couple problems with this approach. There's so much attention brought to this issue of specifically gay bullying that it's hard to see this outside of the framework of identity politics.

Where's the videos and support for fat kids being bullied? Aren't they suicidal, too, or are we saying here that gays have a particular emotional defect and weakness? They're not strong enough to tough this out? Is that the image the gay community wants to promote?

Man, being a fat kid in high school. That was rough. There were a number of cool, popular gay guys in my school. I'm sure they took some crap from some people, but oh how I would have rather been one of them! But hey, I'm still here, I'm still alive.

Bullying is a universal problem that affects just about anyone with some kind of difference others choose to pick on. It seems like everyone is just ignoring all that for this hip, trendy cause.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered.

21. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Maybe the parents and teachers could be more effective then ephemeral videos by "concerned celebrities" and tech ppl most didn't know even existed?

And its not just LGBT kids that get bullied, as was seen in that epic take down video from Australia.

THAT video shows how one should handle bullying IMHO. I bet that scrawny lil Jersey Shore wannabe won't mess with that kid anymore.

Weakness attracts aggression, because the aggressors look for weaker targets, because otherwise they get beat down.

22. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

I believe it is Lesbian, Gay, Bi and Trans (or something similar).

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

big deal. The more companies who do thing like this the more those people who bullie people into the ground will no have a place to go.
    ALso makes it more socially acceptable. Hardest part is for those kids who get bullied in high school making them really understand that things do get better. This at least helps.

24. toddybody Guest

toddybody

These teens are just people who are hurting because of the terrible actions others place on them. That empathy needs to be universal...regardless of your opinion on sexuality.

For all you young guys and gals hurting out there, stay strong because you have so many wonderful things ahead of you. It will get better, there are so many people just like you...and you're loved. God Bless, I cant wait to see what you all accomplish:)