It Has A Name Now -- The Quiverfull Movement To Be Fruitful And Multiply

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mkrishnan, Mar 29, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102005062&ps=cprs

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

...and your thoughts are favorable or unfavorable? Should we just point and laugh or let people live their own lives.

Personally I think its strange to have more than, say five kids, in this day and age. A distant relative of mine has 13 kids and its obnoxious.

Quality over quantity in my opinion.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Why? If they can afford it so be it.

4. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Also take into consideration that a lot of Christians don't believe in the use of condoms. :rolleyes:;)

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

6. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

With the Bible to protect, I've begun to understand why the Church was opposed to improving literacy for so long...

7. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Why do I need to cast judgment when you will step in and cast my judgment for me on my behalf? :p

I think it's interesting -- as subtle evidence that this idea is growing again into a formal, spoken-out-loud concept in the church again. This has been a philosophy within Christianity essentially since its inception. But in many periods of time and many of the denominations, it isn't said this vocally or plainly.

I would also argue that people are not just living their own lives. Their decisions do have downstream impacts... most directly on their children but also on other people in their communities.

8. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

The 'sinful' better start some massive procreating if they want to fight this. :D

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

"Be fruitful, and multiply" meant something different, when half your children didn't live to see their fifth birthday. :(

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

The mathematics of exponential population growth and resource consumption are the Devil's work. When we (humans) have had the right number of children, God will let us know by blessing us with wars, plagues, famines and death, which shall hereafter be referred to as "natural birth control."

11. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

This is plain stupidity. Why can't people see the context that the Bible was written during?

God. Very few things in the Bible are to be taken literally.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I find it strange that people are so averse to people having lots of kids when in fact the birth rate in parts of some western nations has dropped so low that their population is actually in decline. Some parts of Southern Italy are ghost towns because all the young have moved away and the old people that are left are just slowly dieing. Same thing is happening in parts of Germany, heck it might even be a nationwide thing although I have seen no official statistics to confirm that.

Plus it really makes no difference in America what with it having a relatively small population for its size.

Edit : Just checked, Germany's population is actually in decline by a small amount.

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Idiocracy, anyone?

15. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

That was my first thought. I also can't help but think the motivation behind this 'movement' is simply to grow religious marketshare. Kinda crazy.

16. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

17. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think it's particularly amusing (okay, now I am laughing a little at them :eek: ) when you think about it this way:

They are the votives of a global religion that changed the world and the way billions of people have thought about life in the past two thousand years, and which was started by a man who, according to their belief, never lay with a woman and never had children of his own. That man influenced billions of people without having any children, and now his logical descendants see their most powerful tool in promoting his vision as being their ability to outbreed the competition.

Right.

18. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

19. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Since when was religion considered logical? :)

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, all I can say is- I bet at least half of those kids grow up to be atheists. That seems to be what happens to a lot of kids raised in strict religious families. That's what happened to me.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Someone needs to tell these people that vaginas are not clown cars.

22. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Our species has a problem with instinctively associating growth with prosperity and decline with failure. We must overcome this or we will succeed ourselves to death.

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I just had a horribly awesome idea. Something along the lines of the various shock websites that I can even post about here. :p

24. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

True to an extent, but as someone else already mentioned that is what disease is for. Nature has a wonderful means of population control, population gets too big and food runs out. Population gets too small and amazingly everyone wants kids. It all works out in the end.

25. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

THE AMAZING RACE! Fundamentalist Christians challenge the largest single religion in the world—Islam. Who will win the overpopulation game?