It is official. Survey shows nobody cares about the new iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G4
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Perhaps people are simply happy with the iPad they have.

I'm happy with my ipad Air and I'm not really that bothered about the next gen ipad.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Who is uswitch and who is designtrend?

Journalism ONCE used to be a profession. All this re: re: re:quoting is nothing but... cow-poo (sorry) because the so called sources are people the so called journalists never verified or cannot verify. The latter makes a 'credible source linked to apple' a 'guessing noone' but "even a broken watch tells you the correct time twice a day".

It's about clicks here and adds there.

[rant is almost over]...and even I could do a better survey - but maybe because I know how to do statistics :cool:
I'll find everything you want me to find. But only if I never have to disclose my methods.

[\rant]

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Journalism ONCE used to be a profession. All this re: re: re:quoting is nothing but... cow-poo (sorry) because the so called sources are people the so called journalists never verified or cannot verify. The latter makes a 'credible source linked to apple' a 'guessing noone' but "even a broken watch tells you the correct time twice a day".

[rant is almost over]...and even I could do a better survey - but maybe because I know how to do statistics :cool:
I'll find everything you want me to find. But only if I never have to disclose my methods.

[\rant]

Nice post but what was the point of the selfie at the bottom? ;)

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Well this is pretty much common sense. People don't feel the need to upgrade their iPads every year like they do with their iPhones.

It would've been more accurate if survey separated them respondents into two groups, one of those who already own and iPad, and one of those who do not currently own an iPad. But then of course, the article probably wouldn't get as many clicks that way. It makes too much sense.

rui no onna

macrumors 604
Oct 25, 2013
Well this is pretty much common sense. People don't feel the need to upgrade their iPads every year like they do with their iPhones.
To be honest, if most folks don't get their $650+ iPhones on subsidy or installment plan, I doubt they'd be quick to replace it every 1-2 years, either.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Perhaps people are simply happy with the iPad they have.

I'm happy with my ipad Air and I'm not really that bothered about the next gen ipad.
I'm not happy with the iPad I have and I'd like to upgrade it.

I've just been waiting for Apple to actually DO SOMETHING to make it better as opposed to making it thinner, and making it quicker.

To be honest there has been zero new ideas from Apple on their design for what? 5 years now?

They could offer a whole range of different tablets, all offering different features to appeal to different buyers, but they'd pretty much done zero.

And I expect them to do another zero this year.

Whilst is was a great idea, very revolutionary are they just going to sit on in and fiddle forever or actually do something different as it's starting to stagnate.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
Some people just don't care enough about newer products if they're satisfied with that they have.

;)

s2mikey

macrumors 68020
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I'm not happy with the iPad I have and I'd like to upgrade it.

I've just been waiting for Apple to actually DO SOMETHING to make it better as opposed to making it thinner, and making it quicker.

To be honest there has been zero new ideas from Apple on their design for what? 5 years now?

They could offer a whole range of different tablets, all offering different features to appeal to different buyers, but they'd pretty much done zero.

And I expect them to do another zero this year.

Whilst is was a great idea, very revolutionary are they just going to sit on in and fiddle forever or actually do something different as it's starting to stagnate.
What exactly would you like them to do? The iPad does a lot of great things as is. It's not broken so don't fix it. Adding a few new features here and there is fine but there is no need to muck around with a formula that works.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
What exactly would you like them to do? The iPad does a lot of great things as is. It's not broken so don't fix it. Adding a few new features here and there is fine but there is no need to muck around with a formula that works.
I agree the iPad does do a lot of great things, but adding a tiny detail on a new one would not make me automatically hate my current one and cry.

People just can't be satisfied in this world, i swear. It's either too little or too much. You can't please everyone!

:rolleyes:

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
I'm interested if Apple doubles the RAM and iOS 8 is easier on the eye than the current version.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
I'm interested if Apple doubles the RAM and iOS 8 is easier on the eye than the current version.
Same here. Although I am more than satisfied with my iPad Air I do think it would be even better is Apple added more RAM.

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
I believe interest in products of this type are circular.. No one will want an ipad or tablet in two years... We'll be talking about lap books or whatever will be replacing the laptop.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
I believe interest in products of this type are circular.. No one will want an ipad or tablet in two years... We'll be talking about lap books or whatever will be replacing the laptop.
I don't believe this is the case given people will always have a need for a device sized between the iPhone and a laptop. Also, people that own an iPad do more things on it than reading books.

baypharm

Contributor
Nov 15, 2007
I don't believe this is the case given people will always have a need for a device sized between the iPhone and a laptop. Also, people that own an iPad do more things on it than reading books.
What we believe or want to believe and what will actually occur are two different things. Going back 20 years ago iPad was a figment of our imagination. Technology has been moving so quickly that iPad will be replaced by a newer technology device in the coming years. It is a certainty. When that day comes we don't know, of course. But you can rest assured that companies are hard at work inventing new technologies that most of us can't even dream about. Also as iPads become market saturated demand will significantly drop and Apple will not continue making something very few people want.

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
There's no reason to by a new one, except for the fact that the old ones get increasingly unusable as Apple slows them down with their Trojan horse 'free' OS updates. Maybe we're not getting fooled anymore.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA

[\rant]

this is not a rant. this is a correct description of 99% of journalism these days......

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Agree, there is never any need to make something worse.

Though of course sometimes it's perfectly acceptable to change something just for changes sake as has been done be probably every company.

And of course we hope the new version is better than the old one, though of course sometimes newer versions can be worse for some.

The new mac pro for instance could and probably is a major annoyance for many who used to fit their own custom hardware inside their older mac pro's

But anyway, iPad:

Flash unit along side the rear Camera

The rear Camera being upgraded to be the same quality as the iPhones camera.

More Ram (I think most expect this anyway)

More storage memory, please scraps the 16GB version esp as how much cheaper it much be over the past 5 years when the 1st iPad was 16GB

Stereo speakers on boths ends of the device, it's silly how is is now.

Personally I'd like a larger screen as I find the iPad quite small for me.

An IR Blaster would be nice so you can use the iPad to change TV channels, or adjust your HiFi etc. (more people have IR devices still)

Other than perhaps more ram 2GB rather than 1GB I don't expect Apple will do any of these things, so there will be little reason to upgrade to basically the same device you have now, just a bit faster with touch ID added.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I don't upgrade anything every year ... Not just because of cost in money but more because of cost in time. These are work tools for me and there's only so much time I want to give to tech-changes. So I buy carefully, upgrading when I feel something has evolved and will last a long time ... Hence ipad2 instead of 1, iPad 4 instead of 3, MBPr late 13 instead of the first one, and my wonderful 2007 iMac which has done a lot of work and hasn't had a single problem.

I sold the ipad2 and replaced it with the Air just because of the screen, having become so retina addicted.

I do love iPads, but I will only be tempted to part with either of mine and upgrade when there is a radical improvement.

rui no onna

macrumors 604
Oct 25, 2013
There's no reason to by a new one, except for the fact that the old ones get increasingly unusable as Apple slows them down with their Trojan horse 'free' OS updates.
That coupled with apps requiring newer iOS versions is the issue for me. I guess this is where Android's fragmentation is of benefit. I have yet to encounter an app that doesn't work with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and that was released, what, 3 years ago? Meanwhile, there are already 3 or 4 apps I use that require iOS 7 (either no older version or the older versions stopped working).

Status
Not open for further replies.