It looks like the new 13 &15 rMBP got more than a minor spec bump. (internal changes)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TSX, Feb 16, 2013.

1. TSX, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013

TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

http://9to5mac.com/2013/02/16/new-m...acbook-pros-use-some-upgraded-internal-parts/

It appears that the recent spec update to the MacBook Pros wasn’t as minor as we had originally thought. According to a leaked Apple repair guide for the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro, many internals including the SSD, I/O Board, Logic Board and even the bottom case have been updated to new parts. While it isn’t clear yet how the updated parts were changed (besides the obvious CPU speed), it reminds us of a Foxconn leak we got in October of last year:

""1. The rmbp in production line D2 is identified as defected products as in terms of thermal heating and screen ghosting. P/S: Apple is not going to re-launch the 15” rmbp. Just that Apple will improve on the production technique in D2 line. Apple will launch the 13” rmbp. Ghosting and thermal issues will be fixed but internals and design will be similar to 15” rmbp.""

Interestingly, that report also said that Retina MacBook Pro production would also move, at least partially, to Mexico.

We also have the 2013 repair manual for the 13-inch MacBook Pro below which only shows 2013 updates to logic board (likely just for CPU updates) and also how to tell which model of Retina MacBook Pro you have for both 13 and 15 inch varieties.

2. smacman macrumors 6502

So does this mean those of us who bought our 15" rMBPs last year are stuck with lemons?

I remember something similar happened to me with a pre unibody Macbook Pro in 2006. Apple made design changes 6 months after I bought my machine due to video card issues and sure enough, mine died 1mo out of warranty. Once bitten, twice shy..

3. moxxey macrumors regular

Stuck? Lemons?

Some people really do exaggerate. I bought my 15" rMBP within the week of the announcement and haven't had a single problem. Yes, it can be a tad laggy in Chrome on certain websites, but that's a small price to pay for the superb screen and performance.

I'd guess 98% of rMBP users are happy with their machine. I don't know of a single person who has had to take theirs back (which you would do with a "lemon").

Remember that people who have something to say, tend to be most vocal. If they have an issue, they tend to tell you about it. What you do not hear about is the thousands of happy rMBP users who are just getting on and using their superb machine.

A few posts about screen ghosting and lagging and some users claim it's a widespread problem. Hell, I remember the same discussions about the iPad 3 getting incredibly hot, but mine has never got so bad you couldn't hold on to it.

Conclusion? Some people expect perfection, so exaggerate their issues, whereas other people are just very vocal, so the people think the issues are much bigger and more widespread.

4. robvas macrumors 68020

Remember that the people with enough time to be on this forum complaining, probably aren't doing anything productive with their Macs in the first place - and are just fawning over their new $2500 toy.

5. walkie macrumors 6502

You should use Safari WebKit since at the moment is the only optimized retina web browser, is amazingly fast and buttery even when using the integrated graphic card.

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Well I mean if you bought it last year, you cant really complain...
    Like I bought my Early 2011 MBP in Feb 2011.
    They updated with CPU bumps in October.

Thats like me complaining that Iam "stuck with a lemon".
    Components do get updated through out the year and I dont see the reason to complain but thats just my opinion.

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

People with that complaint aren't true technology people. the true ones know the next iteration is already in progress when you buy the current one, it's all about how much time...

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Exactly. I knew something new is going to come up in the next year when I bought my 2011 model.
    So what? Its going to get updated every year.
    Waiting every year for a newer model would be just endless.
    Just buy the one you want and enjoy it!! :D

9. smacman macrumors 6502

Wow. I don't think I've ever been hit so hard from one single post. I will stand down..