It Might Already Be Too Late to Be First in Line at the Apple Store This Week

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Che Castro, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Che Castro, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2012

Che Castro macrumors 603

It Might Already Be Too Late to Be First in Line at the Apple Store This Week

[​IMG]

http://allthingsd.com/20120916/it-m...eek/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

2. Big.Mac.Daddy, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

As hot as it is right now that is certifiably insane of them :eek::confused:

I couldn't imagine myself EVER doing something like that for a consumer product.

3. ChrisTX, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

What do these people do for work that affords them the luxury to waste an entire week just to wait for a phone? Any sane, and rational personal would surely preorder.

4. nrivas macrumors member

5. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

6. Benenstein macrumors regular

That's psychotic. It's a phone. I love my iPhone, but there's no way I would camp out to buy it. I would rather wait a week or 2 to get it.

7. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

maybe sick day, vacation, dont have to be at work till later... could be any reason.

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

i like how his ipad says first n line.

it needs to have a troll face.

9. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

11. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

They probably don't have jobs and might be collecting unemployment. I hope you can sleep well tonight knowing your hard earned money is being spent on an iPhone 5 for someone else.

12. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Don't have to be to work till later? That would mean he still has to work. Probably the other two apply. iPhone4/s, MacBook Pro, iPad, not to mention brand name shoes(puma), and what is more than likely designer eyewear. The gentleman is no bum. He must have taken time off from work, or owns his own business, and could take the designated time off he needed.

13. limonade macrumors member

limonade

I doubt someone can call five consecutive sick days without having problems at job.

14. alexmish macrumors newbie

Must be all occupy wall streets folks... it is now occupy apple ;)

15. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

Pumas are not expensive and i have all devices except the ipad and im not balling. point is dont judge a book by it's cover :)

well im out of excuses for him. or self employed?

16. KPOM macrumors G5

The AllthingsD article says that some startups are charging $55/pop for "waiters." Of course, that works out to about $0.50/hr if they got in line at 5th Avenue already.

That said, the 5th Avenue store must have some type of reality distortion field around it. It was under renovation last holiday season, and the glass box was under particle board. Yet it was always packed with tourists. The nearby Upper West Side store, which wasn't under renovation, was still busy but far less hectic. It makes no sense.

Actually, for me, the best development has been Apple opening a store in Grand Central late last year. It's a quick subway ride there from my office, and while it's busy, it is usually pretty efficient. I got my 2012 MacBook Air there, along with some accessories. Friday will be the first iPhone launch for that store, and it will be interesting to see how they handle the crowds. For security reasons they simply can't have people camping out there for long periods of time, and they also can't really deal with huge lines that would block commuters. The iPad launch went a lot smoother in general since there was so much stock in stores (and because iPads don't require cellular contracts), so it could be interesting.

17. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Same with the first starbucks. People go, just to say they've been there, although considering it's in Seattle and close to the geographic center of downtown, there are three other starbucks within a few blocks.

18. KPOM macrumors G5

The obvious question is where they get the money to buy the iPhone. The actually "Wall Street" folks have the money, but aren't going to be waiting in line. Some of them were probably actually still at work when the pre-sale went live on Friday, so may have ordered it then.

19. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

20. Fanboi4life macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

To each their own, but yeah, don't judge by it's cover. These people may be getting money to camp out, or selling the devices way over MSRP to prospective customers for a profit.

21. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Pumas aren't expensive, but they're certainly not cheap shoes either. Point is, he probably has $3k in Apple gear(relatively speaking) so he's not barely getting by either.

22. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

They have friends that swap shifts. How else would they go to the bathroom and all that.

23. taedouni macrumors 65816

24. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

not that i would ever do it,BUT if someone were to stand in line this far out in advance thats the apple store to do it at. they usually have every media outlet present on an iphone launch and being the first he will most likely be on tv.

if anyone has never been to that apple store in NYC it's the mecca of apple retail