It solves so many problems! Why didn't we think of this earlier?!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DUCKofD3ATH, Mar 5, 2016.

1. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

End the systemic unfairness that lets women trap men into becoming unwilling fathers:

Swedish group wants 'legal abortions' for men
    Men should have the same right as women to decide not be parents, according to a controversial new proposal from the Liberal Party’s youth wing in western Sweden (LUF Väst).

Men who don’t want to become fathers should be permitted to have a “legal abortion” up to the 18th week of a woman’s pregnancy, say the young liberals.

The cut-off date coincides with the last week in which a woman can terminate a pregnancy in Sweden.

“This means a man would renounce the duties and rights of parenthood,” LUF Väst chairman Marcus Nilsen told The Local.

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

all he needs to deny i
    All he needs to deny it is to use a condom.

3. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

How dare government tell a man he has to be a father? It can't tell a woman she has to be a mother!

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

This isn't true under all circumstances. Paternity laws vary quite a bit from state to state, but they tend to biased against men. They could use some work in general, but none of that should involve forced medical treatment. It's not an option that would be considered for any other issue. I couldn't be forced to donate bone marrow to save a leukemia patient for similar reasons.

Anyway regarding bias....

See Florida man owes $10,000 for child who's not his

or there was case law that determined that a male victim of statutory rape could be made to pay child support.

A sperm donor in Kansas was hit with child support.

There are a lot of strange things that come down to case law, but you are correct for the majority of cases. Most of the time a condom is enough. I would say the same thing about iuds and birth control pills. You can't force people to accept medicine or medical devices, as they are the ones who have to weigh the benefits and potential side effects.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If women are allowed abortions men should be allowed to chose not to be fathers too, it's only fair. Although it might be better to give them an option to make that choice for up to 18 weeks after the woman tells them that they are the father, otherwise what is to stop a woman from waiting until the end of that time to tell him so he can't back out.

6. sim667 macrumors 65816

And take away any responsibility of the father? I don't think so.

It takes two to tango

7. jkcerda, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016

jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Condoms break and the pill fails
    --- Post Merged, Mar 6, 2016 ---
    Except when it comes to decide if she's going to flush or keep it. Then only she gets to decide

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I assume you are also against women having the choice to give up that responsibility through an abortion?

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

Physically it affects her, not him.

10. sim667 macrumors 65816

Are you asking if I'm against abortion?

If so, then no I'm not.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

He's stuck with payments. So most will PHYSICALLY have to work to pay said support
    You should be if you preach responsibility , but as shown you have double standards in that arena

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Responsibility and abortion rights are not diametrically opposed ideals. When it comes to sex, you advocate for responsibility, but you don't actively expect it at all times.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yes, that is what I'm asking. If you are against abortion then you saying that the father should take responsibility is consistent. However now that you have said that you're not against abortion could you please answer one more question. Why do you think that women should have the option to not take responsibility for their choice to have sex which resulted in them getting pregnant, but you think that men should be forced to take responsibility?

Both the man and the women typically make the same choice about if they want a kid or not, obviously there are some exceptions where the man pokes a hole in a condom, or a woman lies and says she is on birth control when she isn't to trick a man into getting her pregnant, but in general both have the same responsibility for making the decision that led to the woman getting pregnant, so they both should have equal opportunity to give up that responsibility.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I'm getting the flu. So no kissing tonight.
    ypu mean equal rights on said responsibility ?

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I can agree with that. Women always have the final say when it comes to abortion, since it is, as so oftly been said, their bodies. But in an all things considered situation, it would be unfair to force men to adhere to a woman's choice when it comes to raising the child that she chose to keep.

The uncomfortable dividing line here is that women can choose not to be mothers via abortion, and ultimately no one suffers, since there won't be a child to raise resulting from that decision. Men opting out of fatherhood are leaving a child behind to be raised alone by the mother or the state.

As with abortion itself, to respect the rights of the individual when it comes to parenthood requires us to accept a situation where no one can have their cake and eat it too. Unless both parents choose to stay together, someone will have to lose out on something at some point to respect the freedom of choice of both parties.

Aww, Taco Lips.

...you stay the hell away from me. I ain't getting no flu. :mad:

16. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'll admit the idea is not without merits.

But I think that any such law would need to be very carefully crafted. Because I suspect it would become rife for abuse.

What, for instance, about the situation where a couple decides to break up after the woman is already pregnant? Who is to say that the male partner was not willing to accept the responsibility of fatherhood at the time of conception - he just changed his mind X number of weeks into the process?

And, implicit in such a proposal, is the concept that abortion is safely, legally, and widely available. I don't see a lot of conservatives going along with that.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Good points V.
    Abortion & tights are going to be more & more of an issue as marriage goes the way of the GOP,,,,,er I mean as abortion becomes obsolete , hope couples get dome sort of legal agreement should they stsrt bringing in children w/o the protections of marriage
    Trying to get better today's breakfast was menudo image.jpeg

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

One time in Salinas, California I ordered a bowl menudo and I quickly learned that tripe and hominy ain't my fav.

19. sim667 macrumors 65816

Shoulda put a bag on it.

If you have sex it's a risk you take. There's plenty of preventative measures available to both men and women.

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

That looks like something that'd clear our your sinuses, sho nuff.

21. Rhonindk, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016

Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Interesting.
    Something does need to be done to fix the loopholes and eliminate crazy suits.
    Not sure that's the answer however at least it is being thought of.

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

That's like the food I grew up on, but with chilis and tomatoes.

Needless to say, I can't stand any southern style food anymore, save for cornbread. Can't stand blackeyed peas, don't like turnip greens, would rather die than eat chitlins...

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Don't want to pony up and be a father? Keep your dick in your pants.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You can say exactly the same thing about a woman who wants an abortion, they should have taken birth control or forced the man to use a condom. If you have sex it is a risk you take. Those preventative measures don't work 100% of the time, and if women are given a way out of their responsibility after getting pregnant men should have the same option. Or you should be arguing that neither should have that option as it was a risk that they took.
    And if women don't want to be mothers they shouldn't have sex either, or at least that is where that line of logic leads.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

S.condoms break and the pill fails
    Very few places know how to properly make it. I had my share of places I'll never buy it from
    If they don't want a gut they can take it in the butt. Condoms break and the pill fails .