it takes longer for the SR MBP to fall asleep after I increased the RAM to 4GB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Jan 29, 2008.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

After I increased the ram from 2 to 4 GB, I found that it takes longer for the sr mbp to fall asleep. Sometimes it takes over 30 seconds. Is there any way to speed it up? I found it annoying to wait for the machine to go to sleep mode. Usually it is not a big problem but yesterday, I saw a girl walking nearby while I was using the computer. I put the computer in sleep mode immediately and tried to chase her. The machine took so long to fall asleep that by the time it was ready for me to carry it, the girl already disappeared.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It takes longer because the safe-sleep disk image of RAM contents is larger.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It takes longer to write more RAM to the hard drive.

4. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Wait. Chasing after girls? Surely a laptop can't keep one from completing such a task? :p

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You should have closed your computer and gone after her. What was the diff between the laptop taking 30 seconds on your desk vs. 30 seconds in your backpack? :cool:

6. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I recall somebody saying that when the computer is saving the contents from the RAM to the HD, it is important not to move the computer as this might damage the hard drive. (Could anybody please confirm whether the shock protection function is working at this period?) That is why I waited for the computer to fall asleep first and then chased the girl. Maybe deep in my heart, the MBP is the one I love.

7. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the info. Assuming that the number of active applications is the same, does it take longer for the same computer to fall asleep when its memory is doubled?

8. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Just close the lid and go after her, it'll eventually go to sleep. No need to wait for it to go to sleep.

9. rogair macrumors member

lol

10. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

I just close it and go. I've never noticed anything! Probably just screwed myself by saying that too...