IT told me I have a virus and cut off my network access

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Stampyhead, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Ok, to start out with I've been a Mac user since 1993 and I know there are (as of yet) no Mac viruses. I'm just hoping someone here can help me figure out what my IT dept is telling me so I can solve this problem.
    I've been bringing in my Macbook Pro to work and using that as my main computer since I started this job. The company gives us crappy under-powered Dell PC's so I would just rather use my own machine, and no one seems to care.
    So last week I'm working away and suddenly I have no more internet access. I tried swapping Ethernet cables with no luck, so I go in and talk to IT about the problem. They tell me that my IP address has been blocked because I've been sending out spam emails. They know, of course, that it wasn't really me who did it, so they figure I must have a virus or a trojan on my machine that is doing it. Of course it can't be a virus, but I'm pretty sure I remember hearing about some trojans that could work on a Mac. Does anyone have any idea what this could be and what I could do to make it stop? I haven't seen even a hint of anything slowing down or acting strange on my computer, but they say I need to get it fixed before they will let me back onto the network.
    Any ideas? Thanks.

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I'm not a network admin, but check our DNS settings and see if there is something else going on. Some of these new trojans like to add their own DNS settings and it's a start when you're looking for them. Most of these trojans are spread from infected pirated files. I know two of them come from pirated versions of Photoshop CS4 and iWork 09. Try to remember if you downloaded anything suspicious lately.

Another thing you can do is install Virus Barrier (the 30 day trial version) and see if it finds something. http://www.intego.com/virusbarrier/

Hope this helps.

3. Stampyhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Thanks Mark. My DNS settings seem to be ok, nothing out of the ordinary. I don't really download pirated files from the internet, so I can't think of anything I would have downloaded lately that would have brought it on. I'll try Virus Barrier, thanks for that link. Does it work just for viruses or would it catch trojans and other malware as well? I'm thinking of downloading Little Snitch so I can see what actually gets sent out from my machine. Just wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas.

4. TheHumphries macrumors member

Not sure if this would help provide more information or not but I might see about using little snitch. This might offer you more info on who/what your computer is doing network wise.

I think though this might be more of an error on their end then an issue with you.

5. kostia macrumors regular

I can second the recommendation for Little Snitch. It's very reassuring to see what's outgoing even when you don't suspect something's wrong.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's possible you're just recently using a new IP, which happens to be blocked. Your IP can change from time-to-time. You can also go into the Network settings and try to renew your IP to a new one.

7. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Unless his IT department uses dedicated IP addresses to cubes. Then it is a static IP address.

We just went the other way, from static to dynamic IP addresses.

8. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

Are you allowed to use your own computer?

I work as an admin and get really mad when people start bringing there own computers and so on, if I see a computer on the network that is not ours then you are going to be blocked.

Maybe the spam thing was just an excuse? lame if it was I would check out if its even okay first before trying to find spam which would be rare on a mac^^

Unless you happen to download a pirated version of something and that is another reason why I block private computers.

9. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Maybe your Macintosh has a Windows virus/trojan that is inert in your system, but somehow is able to still go over a network and infect Windows machines?

As others have suggested, just run a scan and see if it yields any results.

10. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Woe by the company that does not have a policy on this. Our company does and still some folks, managers even, bring their personal laptops in for "official" use. < sigh >

11. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

download clamxav, its one of the best anti virus programs for mac! and its free forever! its what i use.

12. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

"IT" doesn't want you using our own computer.

13. stuarthatto macrumors regular

Without a doubt this is the real reason.

You could go two ways on this, both confrontational.

Ask them to show you which Virus you have, show them using ClamAV that your own scan shows nothing.

Secondly, ask them to show you the policy that states you can't use a Mac, personal or otherwise...
    Stu