It Was Legal For This Michigan Doctor To Refuse To Treat A Same-Sex Couples Baby

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Feb 19, 2015.

1. iBlazed, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015

iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I'm sickened. She was not only discriminating against a same sex couples, but refusing medical services to a BABY. In a way, I hope her religion is true because if it is she's going to have a hell of a lot of explaining to do at those pearly gates. To all our members who feel that businesses should be legally allowed to discriminate against gay people if it's because of their "sincerely held beliefs", I challenge you to defend the doctor here. This should be explicitly illegal. Actually, it is illegal where I live.

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

I am sure the baby is permanently traumatized. :rolleyes:

The question arises how lesbians manage to get pregnant.

3. iBlazed, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2015

iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

It's called a sperm bank. Making babies is pretty easy you know. Do they not teach sex ed over there?

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It was wrong of the doctor to make them show up to the office only to be told that she wouldn't see them. The article doesn't address if the couple was able to find another doctor, if there are other doctors nearby who are willing to perform the services then in this case I don't see a problem with the doctor deciding that she doesn't want to be involved in helping a homosexual couple create a baby.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

Sounds like a fantastic idea. Because providing a home for a child living in an orphanage would not be the obvious solution. :rolleyes:

I actually once knew two women who did such a thing and if I where a doctor I would've sent them to a different doctor, too.

6. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

The baby was already created. The "doctor" refused to treat the baby

7. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Just curious how many kids you've adopted?

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

Wanna guess ;)

9. iBlazed, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2015

iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Do the words "none of your goddamn business" ever come into your head?

10. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

ok 0

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

Yes and that doctor is of course the only doctor there is. There are no other doctors - anywhere.

12. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

This may surprise you, but there are still places in the US where gay couples can't adopt children.

And, why on earth would you not want someone who was capable and willing to carry their own child?

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

Are you a fortune teller? :eek:

And now you wanna guess how many artificial insemenations I had?

14. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Once again, you miss the point. Shocker!

15. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Good thing she's not the only pediatrician out there. Doctors are selective all the time in who or how many patients they're willing to see. My wife had to wait 2 years to be able to see a rheumatologist within 90 miles of our home, and for a disease that can do a lot of permanent damage to the joints if not treated early!

16. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

prob 0 as well, not that there is anything wrong with artificial insemenations. Adoption isn't for everyone.

17. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Those laws will sure fly well in court after SCOTUS's gay marriage decision this June. :D

Unfortunately, it's looking like these anti-gay laws will have to be sued away faster than they will be legislated away.

18. Meister Suspended

Meister

Why?

19. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Cause some centers wont adopt to them. Adoptions in the US is a long drawn out and prices experience. I have a friend that had to go to China to adopt because of the process was a giant mess to deal with. The costs would have reached around $50k and would take a few years. Where going through China cost less then 10K and a few months. FYI this was a hetero couple.

20. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Because America.

21. Meister Suspended

Meister

Now I am shocked :eek: How do you know so much about me? Witchcraft!

----------

Those specific two women were horrible. I wouldn't have wanted to be involved in their thing or support it.

22. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Actually, Florida was the last remaining state with a ban on gay adoption. It was struck down in 2008.

23. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

That doesn't mean it's a slam dunk. There's no ban here in Texas, but I know more than 1 couple who have had to adopt from outside of the country after years of trying to adopt locally.

24. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Then that's a good counter to Meister's argument that you should always be able to go somewhere else and no one should be forced to do anything. What if there is no "somewhere else"? What if, theoretically, no doctor in your area wanted to treat your sick child? What if it's an emergency and the child died because of their bigotry? Then what?