It Was Legal For This Michigan Doctor To Refuse To Treat A Same-Sex Couples Baby

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
I'm sickened. She was not only discriminating against a same sex couples, but refusing medical services to a BABY. In a way, I hope her religion is true because if it is she's going to have a hell of a lot of explaining to do at those pearly gates. To all our members who feel that businesses should be legally allowed to discriminate against gay people if it's because of their "sincerely held beliefs", I challenge you to defend the doctor here. This should be explicitly illegal. Actually, it is illegal where I live.

Krista and Jami Contreras married in Vermont in 2012, and last October, welcomed their daughter Bay Windsor into the world. When they took Bay to see her pediatrician for the first time at six days old, they learned that the doctor they’d previously met decided she couldn’t care for the child of a same-sex couple.
Dr. Vesna Roi works at Eastlake Pediatrics in Roseville, Michigian, where the Contreras family now lives. Krista and Jami met with her in September and thought she was the perfect fit to care for their daughter. But according to one of her colleagues, Roi “prayed on it” and had a change of heart. In fact, Roi didn’t even come into the office on the day of their appointment so that she wouldn’t have to see them. Bay had an appointment with another doctor at the clinic, and then the family, who described the incident as “embarrassing” and “humiliating,” found another pediatric group.
On February 9, four months after the discrimination took place, the Contreras family finally received a hand-written letter from Roi. She apologized, but explained, “After much prayer following your prenatal, I felt that I would not be able to develop the personal patient-doctor relationship that I normally do with my patients.” She admitted that she should have spoken to them that day instead of leaving a colleague to break the news, but she provided no clear explanation for the treatment. “Please know that I believe that God gives us free choice,” Roi wrote, “and I would never judge anyone based on what they do with that free choice.”
The American Medical Association and American Academy of Pediatrics both condemn discrimination against patients based on race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other similar criteria.
Krista and Jami are not suing Roi, but mostly because they are doubtful they would have a legal case. Michigan has no law that explicitly protects LGBT people from discrimination, nor does any federal law afford such protection. When Michigan lawmakers considered adding LGBT protections last fall, they ended up instead focusing on a “religious freedom” bill that would have actually made it easier to discriminate. Though neither advanced before the end of the year, the state legislature is now considering new bills, like one that would allow adoption agencies to refuse service to same-sex couples while still receiving state funding. The imminent arrival of marriage equality when the Supreme Court rules in June could be greeted by even more attempts to allow discrimination like what the Contreras family experienced.

Last edited:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I am sure the baby is permanently traumatized. :rolleyes:

The question arises how lesbians manage to get pregnant.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
It was wrong of the doctor to make them show up to the office only to be told that she wouldn't see them. The article doesn't address if the couple was able to find another doctor, if there are other doctors nearby who are willing to perform the services then in this case I don't see a problem with the doctor deciding that she doesn't want to be involved in helping a homosexual couple create a baby.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
It's called a sperm bank. Making babies is pretty easy you know. Do they not teach sex ed over there?
Sounds like a fantastic idea. Because providing a home for a child living in an orphanage would not be the obvious solution. :rolleyes:

I actually once knew two women who did such a thing and if I where a doctor I would've sent them to a different doctor, too.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
It was wrong of the doctor to make them show up to the office only to be told that she wouldn't see them. The article doesn't address if the couple was able to find another doctor, if there are other doctors nearby who are willing to perform the services then in this case I don't see a problem with the doctor deciding that she doesn't want to be involved in helping a homosexual couple create a baby.
The baby was already created. The "doctor" refused to treat the baby

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Sounds like a fantastic idea. Because providing a home for a child living in an orphanage would not be the obvious solution. :rolleyes:

I actually once knew two women who did such a thing and if I where a doctor I would've sent them to someone else, too.
This may surprise you, but there are still places in the US where gay couples can't adopt children.

And, why on earth would you not want someone who was capable and willing to carry their own child?

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Good thing she's not the only pediatrician out there. Doctors are selective all the time in who or how many patients they're willing to see. My wife had to wait 2 years to be able to see a rheumatologist within 90 miles of our home, and for a disease that can do a lot of permanent damage to the joints if not treated early!

mudslag

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
Are you a fortune teller? :eek:

And now you wanna guess how many artificial insemenations I had?

prob 0 as well, not that there is anything wrong with artificial insemenations. Adoption isn't for everyone.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
This may surprise you, but there are still places in the US where gay couples can't adopt children.
Those laws will sure fly well in court after SCOTUS's gay marriage decision this June. :D

Unfortunately, it's looking like these anti-gay laws will have to be sued away faster than they will be legislated away.

mudslag

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010

Cause some centers wont adopt to them. Adoptions in the US is a long drawn out and prices experience. I have a friend that had to go to China to adopt because of the process was a giant mess to deal with. The costs would have reached around $50k and would take a few years. Where going through China cost less then 10K and a few months. FYI this was a hetero couple.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
prob 0 as well, not that there is anything wrong with artificial insemenations. Adoption isn't for everyone.
Now I am shocked :eek: How do you know so much about me? Witchcraft!

----------

And, why on earth would you not want someone who was capable and willing to carry their own child?
Those specific two women were horrible. I wouldn't have wanted to be involved in their thing or support it.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
That doesn't mean it's a slam dunk. There's no ban here in Texas, but I know more than 1 couple who have had to adopt from outside of the country after years of trying to adopt locally.
Then that's a good counter to Meister's argument that you should always be able to go somewhere else and no one should be forced to do anything. What if there is no "somewhere else"? What if, theoretically, no doctor in your area wanted to treat your sick child? What if it's an emergency and the child died because of their bigotry? Then what?