Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

It will take xx amount of minutes

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
So this has been going on for awhile now but really dont pay much attention to it until today. I work at a school that is about 5 mins away (teacher summer break for the win!).
Today I noticed my phone said it would take 27 mins to get there. I clicked on it and it took me to maps and it showed me a completely different route to a different area that I havent been in in years.

How is this possible?

Edit, its a field with nothing around it and its 14 miles away. Wth?

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
So this has been going on for awhile now but really dont pay much attention to it until today. I work at a school that is about 5 mins away (teacher summer break for the win!).
Today I noticed my phone said it would take 27 mins to get there. I clicked on it and it took me to maps and it showed me a completely different route to a different area that I havent been in in years.

How is this possible?

Edit, its a field with nothing around it and its 14 miles away. Wth?
Instead of the default Maps app in iPhone, use Google Maps from the App Store. Apple Maps still has some problems that they need to work out, which is why I use Google's version, which is way better.

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Instead of the default Maps app in iPhone, use Google Maps from the App Store. Apple Maps still has some problems that they need to work out, which is why I use Google's version, which is way better.
That won't really change the proactive/traffic suggestions that appear in the proactive screen or the today screen (in the notification center).

Reactions: jgelin
Comment

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
Comment

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Apple Maps isn't a widget. It automatically appears in Notification Center 'Today View'. It is based off of Frequent Locations and will automatically tell you how long it will take to get to your destination.
I realize that, though you enable and disable like any other widget. Turn that off and add Google maps travel times for virtually the same functionality. There's no way to fix the apple issue, it's serving useless information, so using something that potentially gives useful information is much more useful, right?

All you need to do is add "home" and "work" saved to google maps. Viola.

Comment

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
I realize that. Turn that off and add this for virtually the same functionality. There's no way to fix the apple issue, it's serving useless information, so using something that potentially gives useful information is much more useful, right?

All you need to do is add "home" and "work" saved to google maps. Viola.

I'm not disagreeing with using Google Maps for that purpose, I was merely stating that you can't 'turn off' the Apple Maps widget, because its not a widget. I personally use ETA for that functionally. Didn't know it was even an option on Google Maps.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.