It won't be iPhone 6 (and more)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by audix, Jul 31, 2012.

1. audix, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

audix macrumors regular

List of names 6th generation iPhone will not have:

(updating)

iPhone 5
    iPhone Slim
    iPhone Pro
    iPhone A6
    iPhone 6
    New iPhone
    iPhone 4G
    iPhone LTE
    iPhone 3D
    iPhone IV

* This has been checked by using WHOIS to see which names Apple owns. If Apple doesn't own it, it can't have that name.

Feel free to add

Try your luck here

2. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Why would Apple base the name of their best selling product on availability of domain names?

They don't even own www.iPad.com so I don't think it's dramatic if they don't own www.thenewiPhone.com.

3. audix thread starter macrumors regular

Well they couldn't actually get iPad.com because of that little spat in China. That's why they don't own that one.

But they have iPhone 5 though. So against all hopes, it will actually probably be called iPhone 5. And sadly it probably will be just a big ole stretched out iPhone.

And what's even sadder is that I'll have to buy it.

4. Kyrra macrumors member

The 3rd gen iPad is really just called "iPad". They sometimes say "the new 'iPad'". Just like most of the iPod line does not have a version or generation number as part of its official name.

Also, Apple has a SLEW of shell companies that it files copyrights, trademarks, and domains under. They could pickup domain names under a fake company name and you would never know.

5. solo118 macrumors 65816

I can see them calling it New iPhone, but what do they do for the second version? We have the 4 & 4S now, what will we have in 2013 The New iPhone S?

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I see things are heating up quite nicely now the time is drawing closer and closer.

Why will you have to buy it ? :rolleyes:

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

just give it a number....."new ipad".....when the new one comes out it becomes "ipad 3" and so on

8. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

9. audix thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know peer pressure, that's why most people's buy their phones now right

10. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

That means nothing.

They own www.iPad3.com and don't own www.thenewiPad.com and www.newiPad.com.

Even if they call the next iPhone just "iPhone" like they did with the iPad, people will still call it iPhone 5 like people call the new iPad the iPad 3, hence why they protect those domain names.

11. audix thread starter macrumors regular

By that logic they would have protected iPhone 2 and 3 which they didn't but they do have iPhone5.

I wonder if they have iPhone5s already..

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I don't see how either of these thing really matter, nor why one would have to buy a phone.

13. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

My point is that there is no real logic and that domain registration is meaningless to the actual name of the device.

The name they choose has a much higher impact on marketing than whether or not the few people who will write "www.thenewiphone.com" in their address bar are redirected to apple.com or not. If it doesn't work they'll simply google it like they should have done in the first place. I doubt that will lead to lost sales and force Apple's marketing department to rethink the name of the phone just because a few tech-illiterate people don't know how to use google.

14. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Yea, it will be called simply "iPhone"... which allows them to say The New iPhone... The New iPad is not "The New iPad", it is the new "iPad".

Just the computers (and other products) - Example: MacBook Pro

And to clarify which model it is: About This Mac > More Info > It shows:

MacBook Pro
    15-inch, Late 2011

15. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

I could see Apple naming it just "iPhone" now. Sort of like GM names their top sports car "Corvette", even though every decade there is a new generation Corvette, and is nicknamed the C6 for the current gen, or C7 for the brand new model due next year. But GM just calls it "Corvette". Unless you are looking for a specific upgraded model, then they break that name down to Z06 or ZR-1.

16. audix thread starter macrumors regular

Is this one of those Apple aliases you talked about:

Kilpatrick Townsend
    1114 Avenue of the Americas
    New York, NY 10036 US

It says they own iPad3.com but then it says:

Nameservers:
    nserver.apple.com
    nserver2.apple.com
    nserver3.apple.com
    nserver4.apple.com

I wonder what that means.

17. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

No.

18. joelhietala macrumors newbie

joelhietala

It will be The New iPhone without a doubt. Sorry, but no other option makes sense.

19. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

So what will next year's iPhone be called then ? "The New iPhone2" :rolleyes:

20. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

One things for certain no matter the name, it's the same old look, save for a few millimeters added to the length. Nothing exciting about that. Unless of course, the slightest minutia thrills you.

21. audix thread starter macrumors regular

I think if the new phone looks like anything other than a stretched out iPhone, anyone who originally liked the stretched out iPhone idea shouldn't be allowed to buy it.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Frankly, you have presented zero evidence whatsoever about the names the phone will not have.

23. audix thread starter macrumors regular

The only name we know of, that Apple has undoubtedly acknowledged, is iPhone 5. So we hold reservations for that name before anything else.

24. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Ok, that's fine. So we have evidence stating that Apple has interest in calling it the iPhone 5. But evidence of that, is not evidence of what the phone will NOT be called...

25. audix thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so how do you explain this: They can get the rights to iPhone 5, they could have gotten the rights to iPhone 6?