Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

audix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
List of names 6th generation iPhone will not have:

(updating)

iPhone 5
iPhone Slim
iPhone Pro
iPhone A6
iPhone 6
New iPhone
iPhone 4G
iPhone LTE
iPhone 3D
iPhone IV

* This has been checked by using WHOIS to see which names Apple owns. If Apple doesn't own it, it can't have that name.

Feel free to add

Try your luck here

Last edited:

audix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Well they couldn't actually get iPad.com because of that little spat in China. That's why they don't own that one.

But they have iPhone 5 though. So against all hopes, it will actually probably be called iPhone 5. And sadly it probably will be just a big ole stretched out iPhone.

And what's even sadder is that I'll have to buy it.

Kyrra

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2009
The 3rd gen iPad is really just called "iPad". They sometimes say "the new 'iPad'". Just like most of the iPod line does not have a version or generation number as part of its official name.

Also, Apple has a SLEW of shell companies that it files copyrights, trademarks, and domains under. They could pickup domain names under a fake company name and you would never know.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I can see them calling it New iPhone, but what do they do for the second version? We have the 4 & 4S now, what will we have in 2013 The New iPhone S?

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Well they couldn't actually get iPad.com because of that little spat in China. That's why they don't own that one.

But they have iPhone 5 though. So against all hopes, it will actually probably be called iPhone 5. And sadly it probably will be just a big ole stretched out iPhone.

I see things are heating up quite nicely now the time is drawing closer and closer.

Why will you have to buy it ? :rolleyes:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I can see them calling it New iPhone, but what do they do for the second version? We have the 4 & 4S now, what will we have in 2013 The New iPhone S?

just give it a number....."new ipad".....when the new one comes out it becomes "ipad 3" and so on

audix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

I don't see how either of these thing really matter, nor why one would have to buy a phone.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
By that logic they would have protected iPhone 2 and 3 which they didn't but they do have iPhone5.

I wonder if they have iPhone5s already..

My point is that there is no real logic and that domain registration is meaningless to the actual name of the device.

The name they choose has a much higher impact on marketing than whether or not the few people who will write "www.thenewiphone.com" in their address bar are redirected to apple.com or not. If it doesn't work they'll simply google it like they should have done in the first place. I doubt that will lead to lost sales and force Apple's marketing department to rethink the name of the phone just because a few tech-illiterate people don't know how to use google.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
It's going to be called the new "iPhone"

Yea, it will be called simply "iPhone"... which allows them to say The New iPhone... The New iPad is not "The New iPad", it is the new "iPad".

Just the computers (and other products) - Example: MacBook Pro

And to clarify which model it is: About This Mac > More Info > It shows:

MacBook Pro
15-inch, Late 2011

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2010
I could see Apple naming it just "iPhone" now. Sort of like GM names their top sports car "Corvette", even though every decade there is a new generation Corvette, and is nicknamed the C6 for the current gen, or C7 for the brand new model due next year. But GM just calls it "Corvette". Unless you are looking for a specific upgraded model, then they break that name down to Z06 or ZR-1.

audix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Is this one of those Apple aliases you talked about:

Kilpatrick Townsend
1114 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036 US

It says they own iPad3.com but then it says:

Nameservers:
nserver.apple.com
nserver2.apple.com
nserver3.apple.com
nserver4.apple.com

I wonder what that means.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
One things for certain no matter the name, it's the same old look, save for a few millimeters added to the length. Nothing exciting about that. Unless of course, the slightest minutia thrills you.

audix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
I think if the new phone looks like anything other than a stretched out iPhone, anyone who originally liked the stretched out iPhone idea shouldn't be allowed to buy it.

audix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Frankly, you have presented zero evidence whatsoever about the names the phone will not have.

The only name we know of, that Apple has undoubtedly acknowledged, is iPhone 5. So we hold reservations for that name before anything else.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The only name we know of, that Apple has undoubtedly acknowledged, is iPhone 5. So we hold reservations for that name before anything else.

Ok, that's fine. So we have evidence stating that Apple has interest in calling it the iPhone 5. But evidence of that, is not evidence of what the phone will NOT be called...

audix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Ok, that's fine. So we have evidence stating that Apple has interest in calling it the iPhone 5. But evidence of that, is not evidence of what the phone will NOT be called...

Ok, so how do you explain this: They can get the rights to iPhone 5, they could have gotten the rights to iPhone 6?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.