Italian town shuts down Wi-Fi over health fears

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by You are the One, Jan 20, 2016.

1. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Or, you know, the ******* sun!

2. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

What a moron.

Children are exposed to those same waves in many other ways and in many other places. He made a stupid knee jerk reaction after reading some tripe online.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

4. gpat macrumors 6502a

I'm Italian and I find this embarrassing. We're not all like this!

5. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Don't worry. As an American, I can tell you that you should not be held responsible for your intellectually challenged fellow countrymen. I would hate for people in other countries to judge me based on the words of Donald Trump.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

don't be silly, the sun is too far away :p

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Yeah, tell that to 19 year old me, when I went to Whitewater down in Atlanta, and refused to put on any sunscreen because "**** sunscreen olol".

...3 days later, I was peeling the skin off my back like old wallpaper.

8. gpat macrumors 6502a

I know that feel, man. Every country has its Donald Trump.
    http://neurope.eu/article/beppe-grillo-politics-“vaffanculo”/
    Incidentally, the mayor responsible for this Wi-Fi BS is from the same party.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

There are plenty of people like that in the U.S.

10. You are the One, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016

You are the One thread starter macrumors 6502a

You are the One

11. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

I am not surprised, our world is full of idiots......everywhere....

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

That was covered in the "can't fix stupid comment" :p

I've heard rumor that some people grow out it but I've yet to confirm that.

13. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

The World Health Organization in 2011 classified electromagnetic fields from wireless sources as possible carcinogens. In its Resolution No. 1815 from May 2011 the Council of Europe’s Environment Committee recommended strong measures to protect the public against harmful effects of wireless radiation, including a ban on mobile phones and wireless internet in schools.

Ethernet would be the logical solution..

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    You don't. I still refuse to use sunscreen. :mad:
    --- Post Merged, Jan 20, 2016 ---
    I don't know how or why, considering we live on the surface of a giant geodynamo that bathes us in at least as much ambient electromagnetic radiation as your average cellphone or wifi router.

It's not like the human body isn't used to exposure.

15. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

I think the WHO report was based on concerns of wifi affecting children more.

16. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Anti-WiFi as based on the same quality of "science" as anti-vaxx

17. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

The effects that wireless frequencies have on the human body are not fully understood by ... you guessed it, "science". However, there is considerable research that in children's formative years, certain radiation can have ill effects. There is no concrete proof of this, as there is no concrete proof that that are no ill effects. Strange to see so many people calling the mayor an idiot when one way or another, we don't really know.

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Only a fool would think turning off some wifi access points in a couple schools would have any type of impact whatsoever other than inconveniencing people.

That's a statistically insignificant reduction in radio waves compared to all the ones being broadcast around the world on a daily basis.

19. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

He's an idiot because he thinks turning off Wi-Fi in schools will make a difference. With the amount of cell phones, other places with wifi, television broadcasts, radio broadcasts and communication, satellite communications, GPS, and hell, the electromagnetic radiation that naturally hits Earth from the sun and other parts of the solar system, a few Wi-Fi access points could not be any more insignificant. The fact that he doesn't realize this is what makes him an idiot.

Unless you're living your life in a faraday cage bubble, electromagnetic radiation is unavoidable on this planet and in this universe.

20. You are the One thread starter macrumors 6502a

You are the One

Background radiation in the typical environment most of us live have, during the last 50 years, increased one million billion times.

I think the guy is brilliant. Perhaps he even made one or two people reading this reflect a bit over possible risks with EMF's.

21. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

You call him an idiot and make that judgement as if you know, but you don't and I know you don't know because nobody knows. You also say that "a few Wi-Fi access points could not be any more insignificant" but the school is where kids spend a majority of their day and holding a device in your hand is not the same as television and radio broadcasts. Putting a child close to satellites, GPS, or EMF's could also be as harmful but without handheld devices, kids usually don't get that strong of a dose. Again, I'm saying nobody knows (which is true) - but you're saying we know for sure this could not be significant. Weird.

22. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Remember a few years ago when leftist-liberals were screeching and caterwauling that power lines cause cancer and all that nonsense about "cancer clusters" and such? Even after scientists proved not only was there no causative effects, there was zero correlation between power lines and cancer, the libs refused to let go of that narrative. I still know lefties who swear that power lines cause cancer.

That, and anti-vaxxers and the pearl-clutching nuclear power hysterics.

Why are lefties so anti-science?

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

If the kid spends the majority of their day on Earth, they're getting blasted by radio waves. It's unavoidable.

When you look at the sheer volume of things we use radio waves for now, a few wifi access points are insignificant. Especially when the strength and range of those signals are way smaller than the cell phone that every resident of that town has in their pocket and every broadcast tv/radio station within 50 miles.

24. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Not only that, it appears we're being blasted by...gravity waves!

Time to ban neutron stars.