MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
According to an Australian IT interview with Unwired chief executive David Spence, hints are being dropped that due to a large-scale broadband rollout and a tie-in with Apple, the iTMS may be localized to Australia within a month. Unwired already offers deals on Apple's Airport Express 802.11g base station, but seeks to offer more in the near future. Apple Australia has consistently refused to comment on when and if the service would be available locally.
The Apple partnership would involve "music in particular," Mr. Spence said. "We think music is a good idea."

Without specifically saying that partnership would involve Apple's iTunes Music Store, Mr. Spence said that Apple's music download service would be available locally, and that Apple would need broadband connections to make the service work well.

joed

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2002
Budapest, Hungary
:D

I hope this is correct. Yay, australia isn't forgotton for at least ONE apple thing.... lets not go there with iPhoto and Sherlock etc...

Comment

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
This would be a nice present for our Australian members who are complaining so often about this. I hope it’s true.

By the way, I read yesterday that the iTMS already has a marketshare of more than 50% in Germany. So, it’s time to expand to more countries...

Comment

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
the more countries that get iTunes music store, the better. I'll cross my fingers for you all.

Comment

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
Veldek said:
This would be a nice present for our Australian members who are complaining so often about this. I hope it’s true.

By the way, I read yesterday that the iTMS already has a marketshare of more than 50% in Germany. So, it’s time to expand to more countries...

Australia would be part of a logical progression for Apple.

1. US.
2. Germany, UK, France.
3. Australia and probably one or two more.

If the Australia rumor is true, Paris would be the place to announce it. And maybe, a few more of the EU countries.

Obviously, Apple wants to get in as many countries as possible and as soon as possible. Working out the rights with the labels and building the infrastructure for each different store are the big hurdles.

Does anyone have any personal dealings or other reliable information about how these deals are being structured going forward? Are these five-year arrangements with the labels? Per country?

Comment

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
Porchland said:
If the Australia rumor is true, Paris would be the place to announce it. And maybe, a few more of the EU countries.
I don't know....

I kinda think Australia would be a good place to announce an Australian iTMS :)

Imagine if Steve Jobs had gone to Paris to announce the original US iTMS!

Comment

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
A great alternative to Copy Protected discs

Jack White said:
Kylie! Holly Valance! Jet!

The Australian iTunes Music Store sounded like a great idea until you made that post.

Just kidding. I am sure that we will have more than generic pop on offer.

Maybe we will even get to purchase music that has previously been released in that copy protected disc format. Between the two I would rather have the DRM AAC version since it can be played on all devices, not just compatible CD players.

Comment

encro

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2002
bendigo.victoria.au
The Current Unwired/Airport Express deal:
http://www.unwired.com.au/get/apple.php

Given that Australian law currently makes downloading music and duplicated backups illegal I am curious as to how companies such as Telstra's Bigpond and Sanity etc are providing this service already. Is ARIA and the government turning a blind eye at laws that need to be amended or are there ways to circumvent this?

Comment

curmi

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2000
Melbourne, Australia
I wish this were true, but somehow I see this as unlikely. Apple hardly even know we exist here. And surely Japan would be the next market for Apple to release in to.

Then again, I would have thought Japan would be before Europe too.

I hope that one day, not only will we have iTMS in Australia, Japan, Europe and the US, but we will also be able to access songs from other countries. I'd love to be able to buy Dreams Come True from iTMS rather than getting the CDs from Japan for example.

Comment

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
Sol said:
The Australian iTunes Music Store sounded like a great idea until you made that post.

Just kidding. I am sure that we will have more than generic pop on offer.

JET is not a pop-group. They are more light to medium rock. One of my favorite groups.

It will also be nice to give the rest of the world a taste of Powderfinger, if the iTMS coming in Australia means that Australian music may show up in the other stores. Or is Powerderfinger already avalible in the iTMS. I used to browse around the store. However once I started crying because it was so unfair, I stopped visiting.

Well, now I have an excuse to return! if the iTMS comes out here that is.

Comment

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
encro said:
The Current Unwired/Airport Express deal:
http://www.unwired.com.au/get/apple.php

Given that Australian law currently makes downloading music and duplicated backups illegal I am curious as to how companies such as Telstra's Bigpond and Sanity etc are providing this service already. Is ARIA and the government turning a blind eye at laws that need to be amended or are there ways to circumvent this?

Probabaly meansw no illegal downloading of music. There will be a workaround.

Comment

h'biki

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Sydney, Australia
encro said:

In Australia, digitisation is considered a form of copying (and fair enough too).

Copying is one of the monopoly rights of copyright holders. When you buy a CD, you are not buying the music or the copyright in the music, you're buying a licence to use the music in a certain way. As the CDs point out, unauthorised copying of the CD (which thus includes digitisation) is illegal. Under Australian Law, there is no form of copying which is covered under fair use (well, there is, but they're pretty limited rights).

However, this does not stop companies selling you music in another form - say, WMA or MP3. They themsevles may have digitised off CD, but that copying would be authorised under the Copyright Act 1963.

Curiously, the FTA does bring our laws in closer sympathy with the American DMCA, but only in the restrictions on copyright... we haven't imported America's stronger fair use laws... probably because the Americans probably don't like em any more.

Hope that helps.

Stuart.

Comment

MyLeftNut

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
This is great if it happens. I wonder whether they would include our neighbours New Zealand? I would think if they have big rollout in Paris they would do a bunch of countries... :D

Comment

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
I wonder if they could cut a deal where we could buy from the US store... and do Canada at the same time?

Its an artifical barrier at present, one they could easily remove if they were confident that credit cards being used where legit...and if they limited it to only .Mac account holders as a starting point then they would reduce their fraud problems out of the gate.

Comment

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
Jalexster said:
JET is not a pop-group. They are more light to medium rock. One of my favorite groups.

It will also be nice to give the rest of the world a taste of Powderfinger, if the iTMS coming in Australia means that Australian music may show up in the other stores. Or is Powerderfinger already avalible in the iTMS. I used to browse around the store. However once I started crying because it was so unfair, I stopped visiting.

Well, now I have an excuse to return! if the iTMS comes out here that is.
I suppose that if iPod sales are the reason for the iTMS store existing, we should be looking at which markets iPods are doing well in that don't have iTMS.

With the reach of the internet and ease of electronic distribution of songs I guess there'll be some big changes to the way artists release their stuff. Unfortunately with all the existing contracts it may take a little longer than it should - we may even see movies or tv series sold worldwide before music!

Comment

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I really hope it comes out and soon, I'm gonna load my credit card up bigtime :) It'd be awesome if Schiller or Steve came to Sydney for the announcement :)

Comment

curmi

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2000
Melbourne, Australia
mac15 said:
I really hope it comes out and soon, I'm gonna load my credit card up bigtime :) It'd be awesome if Schiller or Steve came to Sydney for the announcement :)

Unfortunately given the poor geography skills of Americans, they would probably board a plane to Europe thinking it was somewhere over there. :)

Did anyone see the CNNNN comedy show where they interviewed people in the streets of a US city and showed them a map of the world with the main Australian island marked as "North Korea" and Tasmania as "South Korea" - and asked the people where in the world the US should invade next? My favourite response was "Wow - I didn't realise just how much bigger North Korea is to South Korea" :D

Comment

mattthemutt

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Porchland said:
Australia would be part of a logical progression for Apple.

1. US.
2. Germany, UK, France.
3. Australia and probably one or two more.

Obviously, Apple wants to get in as many countries as possible and as soon as possible. Working out the rights with the labels and building the infrastructure for each different store are the big hurdles.

Does anyone have any personal dealings or other reliable information about how these deals are being structured going forward? Are these five-year arrangements with the labels? Per country?

*Cough* Canada! *Cough*

Comment

Golem

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2003
Sydney,Australia
Its about time.

I dont know if it affects but since a couple of other companys are allready doing it ,the agreements with the music companys would probably be easy to acheive, on the other hand the copyright laws here are a mess.

Comment

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
Hi curmi,
I hadn't thought of that.... and I did live in the US so I know there are some Americans whose geography isn't up to scratch (whatever that means!). To be fair, in Australia many of our TV shows and movies come from America and England - so that makes it pretty obvious for us where they are. In America, the movies come largely from America and England too - so they're the places people know most about. There are heaps of countries that I personally don't know much about!
Porchland said:
So just to check - Australia is on the other side of the globe. If you were in Boston you'd fly west to Australia for 21 hours. If you were in Paris, you'd fly east to Australia for 21 hours. California is 5 hours closer to Australia than Boston (or Paris).

Then again you may have totally realised that, and just meant that if it's happening in 1 month, the only official announcement happening before then we know of is in Paris. /End Geography lesson :)

Comment

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
One more step to iTunes world domination!
Muhahhahahhahha :D

I guess this fellow David Spence hasn't worked with Apple before. Typically they don't like people dropping hints before the official annoucement. Companies that give away Apple's secrets typically get blasted...maybe he just blew the biggest deal ever for his little wireless ISP.

Comment

fatbarstard

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2003
New Zealand
About time too.....

I hope the fact that most of the rest of the worlld can't differentiate NZ from Australia means that we get iTMS in NZ at the same time as Aust....
:cool:

Australia..... nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there.... (trust me, I learnt the hard way!!)

Exits stage left....

Comment

appleguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2002
Auckland, NZ
MyLeftNut said:
This is great if it happens. I wonder whether they would include our neighbours New Zealand? I would think if they have big rollout in Paris they would do a bunch of countries... :D

All it is a bit sad..
In Apple's eye New Zealand is considered a state of Australia.. So pretty much anything that Apple Aust has, we here in NZ get it too..

my guess is that it maybe about the $1.30AUD - $1.50NZD per song.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.