iTMS Canada Launch Tomorrow?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
7,405
8,482
All signs indicate that Apple is on the threshold of their launch of a localized iTunes Music Store for Canada. Many members have noticed that the message "The iTunes Music Store is not available in your country yet" appears when they select any country, which mirrors the behavior just before the launch of the European iTMS stores on October 26.A Canadian launch tomorrow, November 23, would be three days earlier than the previously rumored date of November 26.
 

adamberti

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2003
149
1
That's the loop I'm getting - credit card is ready. And I can still browse and search the store, same as before EU launch.

Happy Americans? No more whining from up North eh? :)
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,388
42
1123.6536.5321
Great news, can't wait! Now I can expect some iTMS gift certificates for Christmas! :cool:

3 days early would be great, and I suppose that makes sense since that technically would be on a Tuesday. ;)
 

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
215
0
Memphis, TN
If I remember correctly... On the Canadian Music Channels (TV) didn't the Canadian Government rule that a certain amount of video's played had to be Canadian artists? I'm a bit hazy on the topic and have no facts to back that other than vaguely remembering hearing something about that. If that is true do you think they would impose something similar on the iTunes music store? A minimum percentage of the artists must be Canadian? Seems unreasonable to me. Just curious if anyone has an opinion.
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,388
42
1123.6536.5321
Steamboatwillie said:
If I remember correctly... On the Canadian Music Channels (TV) didn't the Canadian Government rule that a certain amount of video's played had to be Canadian artists? I'm a bit hazy on the topic and have no facts to back that other than vaguely remembering hearing something about that. If that is true do you think they would impose something similar on the iTunes music store? A minimum percentage of the artists must be Canadian? Seems unreasonable to me. Just curious if anyone has an opinion.
You're probably thinking of the CRTC (Canadian Radio and Telecommunications COmmission), the regulating body for television, radio, etc. content here in Canada. Although our major media has to have "X" percent of Canadian content on it, I doubt they would have any say over something like iTMS, so I'm not sure if this would be the case. I'm not too familiar with the Canadian Recordnig Industry Association's stance, rules, etc. though, so perhaps they will try and enforce something.
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,388
42
1123.6536.5321
littlegreen said:
it's not tomorrow.
Wow, what an informative first post you've made! Care to elaborate and explain your comment a bit further to give it some substance and make it a little more benefical for everyone reading this? :cool:
 

antirealist

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2004
11
0
Macrumors said:
All signs indicate that Apple is on the threshold of their launch of a localized iTunes Music Store for Canada. Many members have noticed that the message "The iTunes Music Store is not available in your country yet" appears when they select any country, which mirrors the behavior just before the launch of the European iTMS stores on October 26...
Well, we know it's coming anyway, but isn't this just standard iTMS behaviour? I've seen this message since the store started.
 

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
2,143
3,907
Toronto
Well this will be a good thing for me, and the music industry... I previoulsy posted that I'd budget $0.99 a day for the iTMS, when it opened. So I started a little early (Nov 1st) and I have $21.78 to spend at the iTMS if it opened today. This adds up to $361.35 for the year and is about double the amount of cash I've ever spent on music in one year. Looking at it individually might not add up, but imagine if there are more like me ... but perhaps not so budget oriented.
 

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
215
0
Memphis, TN
~Shard~ said:
You're probably thinking of the CRTC (Canadian Radio and Telecommunications COmmission), the regulating body for television, radio, etc. content here in Canada. Although our major media has to have "X" percent of Canadian content on it, I doubt they would have any say over something like iTMS, so I'm not sure if this would be the case. I'm not too familiar with the Canadian Recordnig Industry Association's stance, rules, etc. though, so perhaps they will try and enforce something.
If they did wouldn't they also have to impose the same restrictions on brick & mortar record stores? I think you are right and the music available on ITMS Canada (if they indeed do launch) won't be governed to meet a certain amount of Canadian content.
 

littlegreen

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2004
2
0
~Shard~ said:
Wow, what an informative first post you've made! Care to elaborate and explain your comment a bit further to give it some substance and make it a little more benefical for everyone reading this? :cool:
not really, no. just thought i'd share what i know to save you the disappointment of opening iTunes tomorrow and not seeing the Music Store link in the source list.

is that a more informative second post?
 

tobyc

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2000
6
0
Toronto, Ontario
Steamboatwillie said:
If I remember correctly... On the Canadian Music Channels (TV) didn't the Canadian Government rule that a certain amount of video's played had to be Canadian artists? I'm a bit hazy on the topic and have no facts to back that other than vaguely remembering hearing something about that. If that is true do you think they would impose something similar on the iTunes music store? A minimum percentage of the artists must be Canadian? Seems unreasonable to me. Just curious if anyone has an opinion.
You are talking about the CRTC ruling on Canadian Content. Yes that is still in effect for Broadcast media like TV and Radio. But this is not the same for retail. I could have a store that featured only Japanese titles, however I could not have a radio station that only played Japanese music (ie music made in Japan) I could, however, have a Japanese language radio station that played music made in Canada that was sung in Japanese.

This is quite common amongst non-US nations. Both France and England have content rules that require a certain amount of home-grown content.

This is reqiured when you live next or trade with such a huge content producer as the US.

And personally I am all for Canadian Content, where would the Hip be if it weren't for Canadian Content and frosh week :)
 

robocop2000

macrumors member
May 5, 2003
33
0
Another world
Ireland coming!!!!

I'm getting the 'not available in your country' message aswell in Ireland. I have been buying songs from the UK store through an English bank account but now I can't even get into the store to browse. Something is going down! (or coming up :) )
 

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
215
0
Memphis, TN
littlegreen said:
not really, no. just thought i'd share what i know to save you the disappointment of opening iTunes tomorrow and not seeing the Music Store link in the source list.

is that a more informative second post?
Ok, to be specific: How do you know that???