MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
EuropeMedia provides a timeframe for Apple's expansion of the iTunes Music Service into Europe:
Computer innovator Apple is reported to be in advanced talks with European record labels in a push to launch a version of its iTunes record store in Europe before the end of the year.

A previous report had indicated that Apple Europe had a significant interest in expanding the service to European users, but did not provide a timeframe for the launch.

dethl

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2002
Austin, TX
I wonder:
Can I buy songs from Europe even though I live in the US? If I can, Apple is going to own the market when they go totally worldwide.

Comment

Interiority

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2001
England
This seems to be an awfully long time away... Pretty much the same timescale as for the Windows version of iTunes. Lets hope it can be achieved sooner.

Comment

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Well, it can be done the other way around, so...

Originally posted by dethl
I wonder:
Can I buy songs from Europe even though I live in the US? If I can, Apple is going to own the market when they go totally worldwide.

...why not this way around? I mean, if you have an address in the US, but live in Europe, you could buy tunes from the iTMS. So the opposite would be true too, once it's rolled out over here.

But what makes you think all the cool English and German music won't make it to the US 'version' of the iTMS.

Comment

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
have a look at the apple stock price... still going up day by day...
it looks like apple will have a great marked place when it comes to online music. for sure there will come others, too with comparable good and easy services, or the existing ones are beeing enlarged or getting better. but they also have to go through the legal-stuff and that takes time. so, apple is a "little bit" ahead of others.
when they come with their service to europe and windows by the end of the year it *sounds* very goo to me.
.a

Comment

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
i hope, it will be soon .. i ll definetly buy all my music over there, well backuping them on a raid, or somewhere else. CD s are just taking to much place. :D

Comment

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
What's a Mecord?

Okay, maybe I'm just ignorant but I don't understand iTMS. It says "iTunes Mecord Store". Mecord? Is this a typo? Is this a clever combination of the words "music" and "record"? If so, it isn't very clever at all. It sounds silly to me. Am I just a stupid Amercian or does this sound totally silly?

Comment

Warren

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2003
Chicagoland
Re: What's a Mecord?

Originally posted by tjwett
Okay, maybe I'm just ignorant but I don't understand iTMS. It says "iTunes Mecord Store". Mecord? Is this a typo? Is this a clever combination of the words "music" and "record"? If so, it isn't very clever at all. It sounds silly to me. Am I just a stupid Amercian or does this sound totally silly?

well, your're not to bright

Comment

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Re: Re: What's a Mecord?

Originally posted by Warren
well, your're not to bright

Wow, thanks for the informative reply! Oh, and I believe the word "too" contains more than one o. And you only need to use one r in "you're". Thanks again, Einstein.

Comment

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Re: What's a Mecord?

Originally posted by tjwett

It's iTunes Music Store, but I often have to sit there and think about it a couple of times before I "click", even though I have read it like 50 times already!

Comment

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Re: Re: What's a Mecord?

Originally posted by Nermal
It's iTunes Music Store, but I often have to sit there and think about it a couple of times before I "click", even though I have read it like 50 times already!

Yeah, I figured it out now. I thought it was standing for iTunes Mecord Store because it says "mecord" on the Macrumors front page in the news brief. I guess that was just a typo. Thank God. I was sitting here thinking "what the hell is a mecord?". Anyway, moving right along...

Comment

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
the wait isn't so bad...

OK, my first impression when I heard the store isn't available in Europe yet was "oh crap!!" (because I live in Finland).. but when I browsed through the store, I found it didn't have too much stuff I'd like..

But knowing they're adding music all the time and that most likely they will get the small labels along, I believe there will be loads of music for any taste (hopefully!). What I'd like most would be that the music you can get on 12"s only would be found in the store.. it couldn't be bad for the labels because pretty much only DJs buy vinyls..

And here's when I can think that a 1/2 years wait isn't that bad a thing.. I'm really looking forward to being able to purchase most of my music from the store..

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.