Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

red93xj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Everytime I try to connect it gives me this:

iTunes could not connect to the Music Store
Make sure your network connection is active and try again.

I know my connection is working and I've tried disabling windows firewall but still nothing! I use norton antivirus (if it has a firewall, I can't find it or how to turn it off) I hope someone can help, its really tickin me off :mad:
-Thanks

red93xj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
edesignuk said:
You behind a proxy or anything like that?
no, I'm using a cable modem, dlink 802.11g router, and linksys wireless card.

red93xj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
djbahdow01 said:
Check the dlink to make sure that there isn't a firewall, or port blocked that might be needed.

Any info on how to do that and/or what port I would need to open?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
HTTP is 80.
HTTPS is 443.

I can't imagine that SP2 would block those outgoing. If so, that would just be retarded.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
SP2 does block iTunes port- I don't know which one it is, but I did read that somewhere.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
yellow said:
HTTP is 80.
HTTPS is 443.

I can't imagine that SP2 would block those outgoing. If so, that would just be retarded.

There is actually no reason to keep these open unless you have a http or https server running. Just because you connect to a server on port 80, doesn't mean you are using port 80 on your side. If firefox wants to connect to a web server (default port 80) it will look for the next unused, non-well known port on you computer and connect that port to port 80 on the server.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Okay, as of SP2 Windows will block most apps unless you add them to the exceptions list in the Windows Firewall control panel. This is a good thing, actually. By default it'll pop up and tell you that it's blocking a program (if that program hasn't already been run) and ask you what to do.

If you've blocked a program accidentally, just go to the firewall control panel and correct it.

Note that this is totally different from the port-by-port blocking. You can still fully open/close specific ports, but the Windows Firewall is behaving more like a real firewall now and providing more fine-grained control as well.

I am certainly no fan of Microsoft, but I think they've pretty much done the right thing here. Too bad it's taken them so many years just to get to this point! :D

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
grapes911 said:
There is actually no reason to keep these open unless you have a http or https server running. Just because you connect to a server on port 80, doesn't mean you are using port 80 on your side. If firefox wants to connect to a web server (default port 80) it will look for the next unused, non-well known port on you computer and connect that port to port 80 on the server.

That is correct. But this is an outbound connection, so having a firewall block it outbound is preposterous. Sorry if that was not what I obviously meant.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
yellow said:
That is correct. But this is an outbound connection, so having a firewall block it outbound is preposterous. Sorry if that was not what I obviously meant.

Ahh, I misunderstood what you were trying to convey. My apologies.

jane doe

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Also internet accelerators will block the iTunes Music Store, Make sure you are not running any type of speed enhancers.

red93xj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
ITMS wouldn't connect even before SP2. So, I know thats not it, but any help is good help. Any other ideas?
-Thanks

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Check your router, it could be blocking the port iTunes needs. May also want to go to Local Area Connection > Properties > Advance > Settings > Exceptions and make sure iTunes appears in the list.

Got no prob getting track list and buying music from iTMS w/ WinXP Pro SP2 here.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
yellow said:
That is correct. But this is an outbound connection, so having a firewall block it outbound is preposterous.

Not really. Ever hear of spyware? Ever hear of all the crap Real used to put on your computer, unbeknownst to you?

It makes perfect sense for a firewall to check whether an outgoing connection should be allowed or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.