iTools and your own web page

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
I was wondering.... how do i go about setting up my own web page using my own authoring tool....dreamweaver....to put my site on iTools? I know you can do this...you know use the apple servers to host your own web site...as oppose to anglefire or yahoo..etc...etc. but the problem is how do i do that? I got my site all set up (pretty much) and ready to go so what do i do next to get it on the apple server?

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
well no one is answering you so i thought id take a shot at this, but please bear in mind ive never tried this so i could be horribly horribly wrong.

that little disclaimer out of the way ive noticed that when you connect to your iDisk there is a folder titled "Sites" that contains the .html files created when i used apples guided site creation. I am assuming that if one would drop their own .html files into that folder one could make their own custom website. Just title your first page index.html and i think you should be set.

o and btw that Goliath app Arn told us all about is a wonderful for connecting to your iDisk in OSX, since iDisk in OSX is usually painfully slow. With Goliath everything is pretty instantaneous.

[edit] whoa ensign i think you beat me to the punch. i just read this in the iDisk read me file
"¥ Sites: HomePage stores your Web pages in this folder. If you create a site using another tool, you can publish the site by copying the files to this folder."

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
okay thanks to the both of you. im going to try this. i just hope my links dont break or i somehow screw up my own files.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
websites...

so far I think the only thing I've achieved with iTools thus far is the resume....which I haven't even finished yet...

I really....really.....really need to get a webpage going for self-promotion....I keep holding off because I plan on switching my aol service to earthlink in the fall when I move out of town...

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
thats cool that you got your site to work. it looks good thus far.

yeah im still having trouble. im new at dreamweaver so this might be the problem. i dont even know how to publish the site with dreameaver and added to that publish it to the apple server. i just put all my web files in my itools disk where it has the website folder. so im thinking my lack of expierence in publishing a site using dreamweaver is the first problem.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I have never been happy with Dreamweaver's publish functions.
Dreamweaver uses FTP right? I thought iDisk was through WebDAV...
Try copying your files in through the Finder or Goliath.