Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Spymac updates with further information about possible future iTools services:

In fact, new information suggests that Apple plans on using the enhanced service as a unified gateway for Mac users to access a wide variety of Internet services, many of which include tight Finder/Internet integration.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Now there's something I haven't heard of before. Sounds like a good idea. It even sounds possible.

But it's from SpyMac, so I highly doubt it.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
iWalk Pro, oops, I mean iTools pro

Taken with a grain of salt, it could be possible. Especially the part about Apple making it a paying service. Which would ruin it, actually. Right now if you want more disk space you can pay, but the basic version is free, which comes with 20 megs of storage, not too shabby. And there is no maximum data transfer, unlike a lot of providers these days.

I hope they keep it free.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Re: iWalk Pro, oops, I mean iTools pro

Originally posted by dukestreet
I hope they keep it free.
Apple can't keep giving out this kind of stuff for nothing. They have to make money you know...

I agree that the current iTools service should be kept free, but they would have to charge for an iTools Pro type service.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Re: iWalk Pro, oops, I mean iTools pro

Originally posted by Beej
I agree that the current iTools service should be kept free, but they would have to charge for an iTools Pro type service.

Part of the original article had mention that existing iTools users would get a free trial membership for an undisclosed amount of time (probably a month or two). So it might be something everyone has to pay for, and it would have to have some benefit outside of what they have now.

I'm sitting and waiting to see...

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I'd be willing to pay if it meant better iDisk performance in the Finder.
I use Goliath now because it's faster, but I hate having to use 3rd party apps for something that should be working within the OS.

mithras

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2002
Bah, spymac sucks. :(

Seriously, it's a wait-and-see. What sort of Internet services? What sort of 'tight integration'? Sounds like the old hand-waving to me.

More importantly, will the new iTools feature tight iWalk integration?

UniStudent20

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2002
Mithras, you suck

Originally posted by mithras
Bah, spymac sucks. :(

I visit all the rumor boards ( i know, I need a life) and it seems you really have a personal hatred towards spymac.. maybe its because they do better graphics then your "design firm," I dunno. But anyway, it's anoying. I don't think it's fair to say Spymac sucks anymore. Say their rumors suck, or say you only read them for entertainment, but it's not fair to say 'spymac sucks'. THey have a wonderful page/community that keeps me and hundreds of others entertained.

BeerDrinker29

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Re: Mithras, you suck

I visit all the rumor boards ( i know, I need a life) and it seems you really have a personal hatred towards spymac.. maybe its because they do better graphics then your "design firm," I dunno. But anyway, it's anoying. I don't think it's fair to say Spymac sucks anymore. Say their rumors suck, or say you only read them for entertainment, but it's not fair to say 'spymac sucks'. THey have a wonderful page/community that keeps me and hundreds of others entertained. [/B]

Agreed (for the most part.) My hats off to the Spymac team for making such an entertaining and easy on the eyes page.
Now back to the topic.
What I would like to see:
Faster iDisk connection (it's currently faster on my PC at work!)
Shared Music collection (kinda like a napster for mac users.. enter your mac.com email address and you can browse other people's Music folders. .. I know, will never happen..)

That's all I can think of for now :)

mithras

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2002
the ad hominem attack i won't dignify with a response.

but i apologize if you took my intended ironic 'bah, spymac sucks' as offensive. although i did not intend it as such, i can understand how you would be bothered by it, and i hereby retract it.

[ by way of explanation, early in their career, i did go to great pains to point out what i felt (and still do feel) was an unethical and insincere modus operandi on the part of spymac. since then, i think they've done a nice job with the site and in producing a constant stream of rumors ]

i would hope you would feel similarly inspired to apologize for that surprising personal invective.

In any case, i would hope to see nice PIM integration features; it's still pretty silly that mac.com doesn't have a builtin webmail interface, for instance. integrate address book sharing, and perhaps throw in a calendar app, and you've got something worthwhile.

Another nice idea would be even tighter integration with iMovie and iPhoto, to make photo and movie sharing completely one-click.

oh, and i don't have a design firm, so i'm not sure what that snipe was about.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Apple should get into the web services market, however, they need to continue to provide a free service. They need to expand iTools to the PC. They'd get loads of people signing up just with the mac.com email thing... no ads, no taglines, no spam... we'll just have to wait and see... and as for spymac having some sort of inside knowledge -- bah !

gregorypierce

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2002
What a Pro service would require

Hosting files is a pretty dead-end business and I'm sure the folks at Apple know this. Most iTools users aren't really hosting high volume or capacity websites. Actually which iTools users are really hosting websites at all?

The value proposition for the user would be a poor one and Apple could easily just hide the markup of how much iTools users actually cost into the price of the machine as opposed to 'putting it out there and upsetting the faithful' as the average Mac user doesn't think twice about paying more for a Mac versus a PC.

Not if Apple really did want to have a PRO service it wouldn't be a stretch for them to do it - but it would have to be a professional service. Many professionals would want more diskspace and JSPs and domain names and the like. That's something that Apple could easily accomodate with WebObjects, and would actually be worth paying for.

But we'll see. I doubt if they would actually require people to pay for the iDisk service itself - the value proposition just isn't there.

3xtrmn8r

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2002
Calgary, Canada
iTools is dead (?)

I guess the latest builds of Jaguar are now sporting the '.mac' moniker in place of iTools.

Of course if I read the home page, I would know that you all already know that. *smacking palm on forehead*

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: iTools is dead (?)

Originally posted by 3xtrmn8r
I guess the latest builds of Jaguar are now sporting the '.mac' moniker in place of iTools.

Of course if I read the home page, I would know that you all already know that. *smacking palm on forehead*

Actualy, that was a "joke" built into earlier builds, iTools is back in 6C75:

Attachments

• itools.jpg
    itools.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 694

DavPeanut

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Maryland
I think apple should release apps that are neither iTools or proTools, just Tools, like Final Cut, DVD Studio, ect. Sell them for like $250, not $1000. Then ameture videographers could make nice videos. Comments?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by DavPeanut
I think apple should release apps that are neither iTools or proTools, just Tools, like Final Cut, DVD Studio, ect. Sell them for like $250, not $1000. Then ameture videographers could make nice videos. Comments?

While your thought is a novel one, it has nothing to do with the topic at hand...:confused:

The "i" prefix has become diluted lately as we have seen more applications using it.

Unless I'm mistaken, the first "i"-anything was the iMac, indicating it's ease of setup and use on the Internet.

Since then it has taken on the distinction of indicating consumer oriented hardware and software. iTools, as a web service, falls somewhere between these two distinctions but I feel is aptly named for what it does.:)

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
theres quite a few of ppl who only have windows machines who signed up for mac.com accts who got someone who they know who has a mac to sign them up...wha do u think apple should do for windows? i know it'dd be a lil harsh to cut off access to windows since some mac users probably upload stuff from windows machines at times to idisk, but what should apple do for users who have a mac.com acct but dont own a mac?

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
.Mac is back

originally posted by Rower_CPU

Actualy, that was a "joke" built into earlier builds, iTools is back in 6C75:
[/QUOTE]

hey ... actually, .Mac is back in 6C85... http://homepage.mac.com/ishkabibble32/FileSharing1.html ...

ive noticed a trend that every other release seems to make a gui change but the software isnt great, but then later the software is better but the gui isnt great.. and then in the third part of the cycle, both the software and the gui seem good (or better)...

for instance, in one of the earliest builds, sherlock had a good interface (like on appes site for jag) but wasnt implemented well.. the next build looked like watson -- it didnt have a titanium-ish look.. then finally the next build featured the gui and the improved software... now sherlock, though, is almost totally done, but the gui is kinda whack... i think this .Mac thing may be kinda a reflection of this cycle..

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
well, yers could be photoshopped :rolleyes: ....

might be some weird thing with yers but on all the other builds ive used it says "pre-release verion" on about this mac or 10.2 for the first time in 6C85... heres some proof...

Attachments

• picture-1.gif
    picture-1.gif
    95.1 KB · Views: 620

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
also, 6C85 came out about a week and a half ago, im not too chure though...

and regarding "about this mac" in 6C85...

Attachments

• picture-2.gif
    picture-2.gif
    33.1 KB · Views: 574

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by firewire2001
well, yers could be photoshopped :rolleyes: ....

might be some weird thing with yers but on all the other builds ive used it says "pre-release verion" on about this mac or 10.2 for the first time in 6C85... heres some proof...

Same for you.:p

If you click on the 10.2 or Pre-release in the "About this Mac" it will cycle through the build number and serial number of the software...:rolleyes:

It will be interesting to see if this stays in the final...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.