iTouch + Skype = the end of Verizon, AT&T etc

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Cinch, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Cinch macrumors 6502

I just found out that my cell phone bill from Verizon was up by $5 this month, from $45 to $50.

Why am I paying $50 per month to perform tasks that are technically a few cents ("fair" market value). I rarely come close to my limit in terms of minutes or text messaging. I understand that towers have to be put up and maintain, but at a cost of $50 per month on my end? I also understand the licensing fees that Verizon has to pay the government i.e. FCC, but at $50 per month? I'll be glad to pay for a phone, and not go to a two year prison term they call a contract.

My idea is not new and I think Google, Apple and Skype are thinking of this possibility. Imagine paying $23 per year for a phone number, and with Skype you can make phone calls in WiFi hotspots. Hotspots are increasing common so much so that it should be call WiFi areas instead. A lot of people, I believe shares my phone usage habits i.e. they live and work in WiFi areas. When I travel, there is no retarded neo-cromagnum primal urge to use my cellphone. My family and friends will do just fine without knowing my whereabout during my trans-Atlantic flight transfer in Salt Lake City. Like some of you, I stop and ask what makes a cellphone so important in life that it should cost $50 per month to own! I understand that there are people out there who relies on cellphone for business, but for a lot of us this is not the case.

Here is the detail of the possibility based on my cellphone habit for 2 years:

$299 iTouch
    $23 for a phone # per year
    2 cents a minute for calls to a cellphone or land line in the States (varies internationally). I average 200 minutes per month ($4)
    Total cost is $441 (this number will go down a lot more if I keep the iTouch for an additional year).

Verizon cost $1250 for 2 years

I can save at least $800. Clearly, with this saving I can buy a new iTouch after my second year and still have money left over.

Just a thought.

Cinch

2. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

does iTouch mean ipod touch or iphone, because the ipod touch doesn't have a mic in. unless i am wrong about that.

3. Cinch thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for catching this little inconvenient.

I should have said that a small hardware hack is needed for my idea to work. I advocating Apple and Skype or Apple alone take the lead. However, business strategy sometimes doesn't involve the customers. With this in mind, my post should have been in the general iTouch forum.

Cinch

4. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

One of the things you pay for w/ Verizon (or any other cell provider) is an available and reliable network. Even if you live in a town with tons of wifi, an iPod touch won't get AAA to your car in the middle of a desolate highway.

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I don't think it would be the end of anyone - Verizon especially.

I DO think it would REALLY cut into profits if it took off - and result in serious tension between ATT and Apple - until it got resolved. And I believe Apple gets some cut from ATT revenue - so they'd be quick to patch up any "leaks" opened by VOIP with the Iphone or Touch.

Possibly even lawsuits from other providers against Apple over it.

Even if the Touch got hacked to work with Skype and millions did it. Skype won't ever cover me in the foreseeable future while driving down the highway, or pretty-much anywhere open free WIFI isn't available.

6. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

While a lot more convenient - in some ways your idea parallels that of pay phones. Just with a tad more coverage you'd get with one.

So why not skip the Touch and just carry some Quarters in your pocket.

Wait, I did that when I was 10 and it sucked.

Scratch that.

Oops, I meant to hit "edit" not "quote" sorry.

7. Anderzander macrumors member

8. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Yeah it's fairly old news. There have been VOIP phones before and they really never take off... 3 have a fair bit of excess bandwidth so they are encouraging people to use it (their network supports video calling, which nobody ever does, so that capacity tends to be wasted.. live streaming video is reasonably popular but it still a tiny fraction of what they exepcted).

The way the mobile providers will probably respond eventually is to have free mobile->mobile calls.. skype has no advantage over that (and some disadvantages).

In the UK VOIP in the home is dying a death because it's stupid - to get a DSL line you need a phone line so why pay VOIP rates (which are normally much more expensive than normal phone rates unless you're calling oversees) when you have a perfectly servicable phone? That's the barrier than people like skype and vonage etc. need to get over before they'll become serious telcos.

Truphone have already developed an iphone application apparently which I'll have a go at using when it's done, but of course tht relies on the existence of a nearby wifi hotspot so isn't useful on the move. Again, too expensive (I have free minutes that I can use so calls are free for me most of the time anyway) but certainly interesting.

9. TheDPR macrumors member

How difficult would a hardware add-on with small speaker and mic be? Then VOIP would be simple and depending on where you spend your time, perhaps convenient also.

10. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Well - if the Touch has no provisions for an input device - a lot harder than you may think.

You need some way to electronically couple sound from the microphone into an analog-to-digital converter, and a system device to beam that over wifi - all the while maintaining sync with the receiver - and keeping out of the range of a feedback loop.

If the provisions are in place - it could be a cake walk. *say it had a lot more in common with the iPhone then I'm currently thinking* But if not - it's like trying to make your Pickup truck into a Submarine - no easy way about it to get real, working results.

11. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

OK look this isnt directed completly at you but all the other noobs that do this to.

It is an ipod touch, not an itouch, that sounds dumb!!! Call it a touch if you are to lazy to put ipod infront of it btu it makes you sound dumb by saying itouch....

Sorry for the rant but i really gets on my nerves

12. defaliz macrumors newbie

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

It wouldn't be hard at all. Just make a device that connects in the dock connector and your done.

The only problem would be that you usually have to get dock connector information from Apple for building.. They wouldn't be to thrilled with the idea so you probably wouldn't get much help.

jon

edit: Just read the link from the above poster. Looks like someone already had my idea.

14. Cinch thread starter macrumors 6502

A lot of us seems to do okay without AAA. I have a car that is approaching 200K miles, old compare to a lot of cars, but I feel comfortable without a phone traveling long distances.
    I think living without a phone constantly by my side, encourages me to be more resourceful and creative.

Cinch

15. Cinch thread starter macrumors 6502

My apology salarguy. I will now refer to this device by its official name Ipod touch or simply the touch.

Cinch:D

16. db2431 macrumors regular

17. defaliz macrumors newbie

18. cwolves macrumors regular

There are some people that like to use cellphones when they're not at a hotspot...

19. Cinch thread starter macrumors 6502

the impedus

There is no impetus for these phone companies to wage a price war for us to get free calls.

We got to have an outsider(s) with money and good business acumen to do this. Sure Verizon will react by lowering rates, but they won't lower rates if nothing out there to challenge them.

Cinch

p.s. to the other poster, we only had cell phone coverage on highways in the last 15 years. 99% of the history of this country went without phone available on the road.

20. cwolves macrumors regular

that would make 93.5% of this country's history since its founding, or 97% since its settlement :D

21. TheMissingBite macrumors newbie

22. shaynomore macrumors newbie

mic on itouch

The Itouch 2nd gen does technically have a microphone (there are indeed several apps that use this microphone) however skype would need to get express permission from Apple to incorporate that hardware...

Unfortunately, i don't think this will happen, however if one should jailbreak (like every semi-technically inclined person does) thine itouch, one could indeed use skype without needing to worry about approval from Skype.

And, no, before you idiots who are about to argue with me even think it, this is in no way illegal!

23. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i for one am looking forward to the day where voIP rules.

IMO - with skype on the rise, hotspots will increase

24. TheMissingBite macrumors newbie

25. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

One, who said anything about jailbreaking being illegal? Apple is trying to make it that way, sure, but at the moment it just voids your warranty.

Two, you're seriously trying to argue with people in a topic from well over a year ago?!