All iPads It's a shame my iPad is becoming useless for reading the news

St8kout

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2010
It's not the iPads fault because it didn't use to be this way. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to simply glance at a story to see if I want to read more. I tap on a link and get to see it for half a second, then it either disappears behind a wall of ads or keeps jumping down to the bottom of the page. I scroll up and it jumps down again, over and over. Not sure what causes that but it never happens on my desktop, which is becoming the only way to read the news anymore. There are other complaints about the way pages load on the iPad but you get the idea.

It's getting to where my iPad is relegated to mostly games and email duty. The news sites are too iPad-unfriendly. They are shooting themselves in the foot.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Which browser do you use? I'm currently using Chrome, but I believe that the Atomic Browser has the ability to block popup ads. I don't think I saw those popups when using Atomic.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
It's not the iPads fault because it didn't use to be this way. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to simply glance at a story to see if I want to read more. I tap on a link and get to see it for half a second, then it either disappears behind a wall of ads or keeps jumping down to the bottom of the page. I scroll up and it jumps down again, over and over. Not sure what causes that but it never happens on my desktop, which is becoming the only way to read the news anymore. There are other complaints about the way pages load on the iPad but you get the idea.

It's getting to where my iPad is relegated to mostly games and email duty. The news sites are too iPad-unfriendly. They are shooting themselves in the foot.
A lot of traditional newspapers have subscription packages. This would allow you to read the news without the adverts.

Or there's BBC News.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
What news sites or apps do you use? I love reading the New York Times and USA Today on the iPad.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Our city newspaper will not allow digital only subscriptions. You have to get the print version also. Meanwhile, they're slowly dying. Bizarre.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Our city newspaper will not allow digital only subscriptions. You have to get the print version also. Meanwhile, they're slowly dying. Bizarre.
Yes I have noticed an increasing number of newspapers requiring the print version also. Many of them charge more (ironically) for digital versions than print versions.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Use readers like flipboard. You don't get the same type of pop ups. Although you do get ads in between pages...

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Must haves are Feedly and Pocket, Flipboard is nice as well but the advertisements are annoying. For absolutely no other option there's very few instances where Safari's built in reader fails to parse down the text into a nice easy to read format. One of the things I do the most on my iPad is read and I still prefer it over my Mac.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Feedly for me. Replaced Google reader for me for aggregated news and I haven't looked back...

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The problem is that all these news services want you to buy a subscription to read their news. If you are not logged in with a subscription, you will get hit with multiple advertising windows at some site. You ipad reacts different from your desktop because they as using different browsers of the same with different settings.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
The problem is that all these news services want you to buy a subscription to read their news. If you are not logged in with a subscription, you will get hit with multiple advertising windows at some site. You ipad reacts different from your desktop because they as using different browsers of the same with different settings.
Never had that issue with Feedly and I don't pay a penny...

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011

Those are just websites that don't want your viewership.

Get Feedly / Reeder
or Flipboard.

rmhop81

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Dallas, TX
well it used to be, then CNN bought it, its borders are flooded with ads,pop ins, drop downs every farkin thing:eek:
When I want news with perspective, I have a Digital subscription to Wall St Journal, and the NY Times, my mind lies somewhere between them:cool:
it must be the sites that you add to your feed. i never get ads or pop in's etc. now some sites that you add that require ads even when you're on the website do it in zite as well. but that's just specific websites

http://blog.zite.com/2014/03/05/zite-is-flipping-out/

Last edited:

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
well it used to be, then CNN bought it, its borders are flooded with ads,pop ins, drop downs every farkin thing:eek:
When I want news with perspective, I have a Digital subscription to Wall St Journal, and the NY Times, my mind lies somewhere between them:cool:
Flipboard just bought Zite from CNN last month, so one of them will be going away in the future.