Its been a few months now and why is the 13 MBP still inferior to the Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vyruz Reaper, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Vyruz Reaper macrumors regular

Just a thought and question.

Same specs and guts except the Macbook has a 250GB HD and the MBP has 160GB.

At least I thought i would see apple bump the HD space of the 13 MBP to something higher than the macbook if no icore updates were coming.

thats all

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Not the same features.

You are forgetting the aluminum unibody, the SD Card slot, backlit keyboard, and firewire.

Not inferior.

Apple would not have updated or announced any other products today. Today was iPad's day.

3. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

don't forget a better screen.

4. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

And can support a max of 8gigs of RAM

5. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

I wonder if the OP even know what the word inferior means or if he just picked it up somewhere and wanted to sound cool...

6. kroeks macrumors regular

7. csdibiase macrumors member

That was exactly my logic in choosing between the white MacBook and a MacBook Pro. Really wish they would have joined 2010 with Arrandale chips but so be it. :)

8. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Unibody MacBook works with 8GB of RAM. It's been proven unlike other machines where 8GB causes instability.

9. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

Which would be a very valid point if we were discussing about the Unibody MacBook. I'm pretty sure though that the OP is referring to the White MacBook with respect to the MBP.

10. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

No way is the pro inferior. Firewire, SD Card slot and great Aluminium body make it a much better machine in my opinion.

AnDy

11. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I've wondered the same. Personally, the macbook would be my machine if only the white body didn't get scuffed up so damn easy. Total turn off. I could care less about a backlit keyboard or firewire or the SD slot (Eye-Fi rocks :D). The screen is about the only thing that would make me bummed out but for nearly $200 less I could have half an iPad :p

12. Takashi macrumors regular

Are you sure you know what the word "inferior" means?

As many have said already: by no means the MBP is inferior to the MB.

13. mrskitch macrumors newbie

Ok, so the pro has a better "case" and oooooh, I can see the keyboard when its dark! And an SD card slot?? THIS makes it a "Pro" Machine and seperates it from a Macbook?

By comparison- the Mac Pro can rock the socks off of most iMacs. I think the same should apply to the notebook line.

Its like saying that my honda civic is a luxury car when compared to other honda civics- because it has cup-holders and a tap deck. Oh, and some new fiesta red pain.

Lame. Absolutely lame. This MBP BADLY needs a refresh. Its almost a joke.

14. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

If you're going to post useless drivel, at least use spell check.

Your Honda Civic metaphor makes absolutely no sense. How do you compare "luxury" to "pro" and "cup holders and tape decks" to laptop features?

Also, put a low-end Mac Pro vs. an i7 iMac and see if it can "rock it's socks off". I bet you the i7 would outperform in some areas, if not all.

Disagree with the Pro label if you must, but using "oooooh" as an argument isn't going to convince anyone.

15. csdibiase macrumors member

Look at the price delta between the unibody macbook and 13 MBP... it's only $200.
    Code:
    Plastic     Aluminum
    250 GB      160 GB
                SD card reader
                Firewire 800
                Iluminated Keyboard
    To me, the right column adds up to $200 of value.

16. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Personally I'd merge the 13" MBP and MB product lines as the machines are near identi-kit. This would cut excessive production, design and development overheads at stroke.

17. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Well the fact is that many people will not buy a plastic macbook and not everyone wants to spend nearly two grand for a 15" laptop nor want a larger notebook when it is used primarily away from home.
    On the other side of the discussion, I doubt cutting the plastic macbook would save them any money.

18. excommie macrumors regular

WHITE unibody Macbook supports 8GB of RAM

19. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

No I am not talking about cutting one or other production line, more just merging the 13 inchers together and rebranding. Mark my words this will happen as I suspect Apple would be foolish not to be looking into this as we speak.

20. Surely Guest

Surely

Your words are marked, but I don't see that happening.

I think that they like having the two lines. Also, for some people, the "Pro" keeps them from buying the MBP (thinking that they don't need that much power), and for other people the white plastic keeps them from buying the MB.

I know that I wouldn't have bought another MB. I am done with owning a white plastic laptop.

21. mrskitch macrumors newbie

Honestly, They are the exact same computer with different peripherals. For a while the 13" MBP was even called just a macbook until they stuck a few extra devices in it and THEN made it a Macbook Pro.

I don't know why people are getting so defensive on this. It's a matter of opinion and I'm simply stating that both computers are spec for spec almost the same.

And for $200 difference the MBP doesn't have the bigger hard drive. You'd have to drop another $50 to get the disk upgraded and then your looking at $250 difference. To me thats not worth it for a aluminum case, SD card, and firewire.

22. Surely Guest

Surely

And backlit keyboard. I will never own a laptop without it again.

23. kasakka macrumors 68000

To me on the other hand, FireWire was a very important difference because I need it for audio recording. I knew I was going to get a SSD drive (160GB Intel) so HDD size was irrelevant. The SD reader has proven highly useful at my workplace. The better display was also a plus. The aluminum body and backlit keyboard are just nice extras.

I'm guessing the next iteration of the 13" MBP will have a larger hard drive, probably matching the Macbook. Personally I'd prefer if Apple had more SSD options, using better drives.

24. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I think the difference in pricing is in line with the differences in the features (both are modest). Take your pick, they're both great.

I do think the MBP should be bumped to 250GB, no reason not to since the MB has one.