Its been months but I'm Buying a new Mac Book, or Used Mac Book Pro Next Monday

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by erichian, Sep 25, 2007.

1. erichian macrumors newbie

erichian

I will use this computer for everything I do from work to play to anything else I can think of. I'll be processing digital photos, editing video, creating layouts, building Spread Sheets, and sending emails and IM's to my wife.

My problem is the Mac Book has a fire wire 400 port, but does not come with a Firewire 800 port, the Mac book Pro does. The MacBook also will not support the Apple 30"HD Screen, but the 15" Mac Book Pro does. Although I don't have a Apple 30" I may have access to one in the near future.

The only reason I not just going to go out and buy a Mac Book Pro is cost. I can get the MacBook from apple for with two gigs of ram, and Final Cut Express installed for just under 1700.00 including tax.

I might be able to find a refirb Mac Book Pro for close to 1900.00 with out Final Cut. I'm seeing Mac Book Pro's listed on Craig's list and ebay in my price range, around 1700.00 with Final Cut installed.

I was wondering is it worth the risk. Especially on craig's list meeting someone with 1700.00 cash is not my idea of safe. Especially when its someone you just met from the internet.

I'm wondering if I would be happy with just the Macbook 2.1 with 2 gigs of ram. I would be using Final Cut Express, Adobe CS, and Possible MS Office.

Positive input is greatly needed, I don't want to make a stupid decision on the off chance I might score A MacBook Pro at a Mac Book Price just to lose out in the end.

Please help Mac Book owner?

By the way the videos i'm doing are fairly simple at the moment, if you can seen the in the video section of my site. NTXBMX.COM

I'm getting my new machine Monday one way or another.

2. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

I would buy one from eBay but obviously buy form someone with EXCELLENT feedback - and if possible if they live fairly close so you can pick it up directly.

You have to be careful with eBay when you are spending lots of money but you can't beat the price.

I too will be buying a MBP at some point in the next year and I'll buy from eBay - especially as you can buy them with software preinstalled - which for me is critical as the cost of Adobe CS3 design premium is more than a macbook alone!

3. Red Sox macrumors regular

Unless you absolutely need to purchase a new laptop soon, I would wait. There are rumors of a newly redesigned macbook coming out soon. It could be next month along with the release of Leopard, it could be in January, or even later... nobody knows. So if you have the patience, I would at least wait one month.

But, if you are going to buy now, you should take a look at the refurb deals Apple has right now. There are some great deals out now so act quick because they go fast.

4. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

5. Tracer macrumors 6502

Does Final Cut Express even work on the Macbook?

Final Cut Pro requires a dedicated video card.

Tracer

6. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I would at least wait until Leopard is out, and hopefully new MacBooks, then make your decision based on them.

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

As for buying off craigslist just meet at a starbucks or if really paranoid meet at a bank and withdraw the cash if the macbook is acceptable. I know some people worry about this but have you ever purchased a used car off someone most of the time you would be paying far more than $1700 and have a much greater chance of finding something major wrong that you missed when purchasing.

If you buy the computer with software pre-installed without the serial numbers and installation CD's. It is safe to say the software is pirated, whether it is duplicated from a valid original or downloaded, if you do not have all relevant disks and serials and there is another install in existence you have no legal right to it. With out the relevant disks the software installed really has no factor in price then.

As for what computer to purchase I would say the Macbook Pro. The larger higher resolution screen will give you more room for dealing with timelines. Since you said you may have access to a 30" soon the Pro would be useful in running that as well.

Since money is a factor then used is definitely a sound option. Even with eBay just buy from someone with a great rating, whom is in your country. Also select someone whom accepts payments through Paypal and meets Paypal buyer protection policy standards, then pay by credit card if you can. Bank transfer is fine as well, but if the person does not ship it is easier to force a stop payment through a credit card than to get a bank refund. Not that banks are that tough to deal with, they may just resist more.

As for the Macbook unless you have a larger display that it can run I would recommend against it for video and the Adobe applications, due to the lower resolution and small screen, especially if you are going to use it for that frequently. This is more subjective if you don't mind lots of scrolling.

8. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

what i just did was buy an apple refurb MBP. Cheap as heck and works flawlessly.

For anything with video or graphics, i'd recommend the pro just because of the dedicated graphics and larger screen.

if it's your only computer and you're an advanced user, get the macbook pro.

9. erichian thread starter macrumors newbie

erichian

Yep,

I can even get it pre-installed If I buy directly from Apple.

10. erichian thread starter macrumors newbie

erichian

I have, and that freaked me out a little bit too, but I guess you hear more about fraud with computers and bikes than you do with used cars.

11. erichian thread starter macrumors newbie

erichian

The main reason for buying the system would be for use with adobe apps, mainly photo and video. No matter which system I went with I was going to get a new external monitor in a month or two, I'm using a 19" at the moment. At this point I have been with out a laptop for almost a month, ans using our family machine for design work. I have a couple of projects I need to start work on very soon.

One of my projects is for national event this is a huge step for me, so I need something pretty soon, I can wait until tuesday, but only because Apple said they can have it in my hands by Friday, but I don't want to waste anymore time than I have too. Like I said this has been a couple months in coming, and one of the reason I actaully left my last job was to use some of my unused vacation to get this computer. I think the money is making my wife anxious. :rolleyes:

So I need to act fast.

12. Drile macrumors member

If you can find the money, the MBP is definitely worth the extra cash.

Like said above, if you are going to go the craiglist route and you are worried about meeting up just meet in a public place or at a bank.

13. erichian thread starter macrumors newbie

erichian

I found a few last night here in DFW so I think I'm going to get something used this weekend. Unless somethng really special is suppose to happen tuesday?

14. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

If you're going to be using a lot of the Final Cut Studio stuff like Motion, FCP, etc. and need the full Adobe suite as well, a Macbook won't be enough. Especially for Motion, etc. which all need a dedicated graphics card. Using such a small resolution screen for timelines and large edits in CS3 will be extremely frustrating. For your needs, I'd go Macbook Pro, and only Macbook Pro.

15. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I am one of the "paranoid" who direct the buyer or seller to meet me in Bank of America. :)

16. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

i am going to echo my first point. get the MBP.

video and photo editing are going to be possible on the macbook, but will be so much smoother and faster on the mbp.

also if you're doing anything with video or photo get the matte screen

sometimes apple refurb has the 2.16 C2D MBP for $1499

17. erichian thread starter macrumors newbie

erichian

Well is this a good deal you think.

Actually,

I found one today, in the classifides, but what I thought was odd, was the guys selling it said it had 3 gigs of ram. I didn;t know that was possible. He said he would sell it for 1600.00 with only two gigs. I'm fine with that, but the 3 gig thing kind of threw me.

Here are the specs he listed: the only difference will be 2 gigs of ram rather than 3. Does that seem like a fair deal at 1600.00. I thought it was, but I also love the BBC, I'm told my judgment is suspect becasue of this.

15-inch MacBook Pro 2.16GHz core 2 duo
    3GB (two SO-DIMMs) RAM (PC 5300)
    Matte Screen (not glossy)
    One FireWire 400 port at up to 400 Mbps
    One FireWire 800 port at up to 800 Mbps
    Two 480-Mbps USB 2.0 ports
    Built-in 54-Mbps AirPort Extreme wireless networking (802.11g standard; 802.11n capable with optional 802.11n enabler)(2)
    Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
    Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics processor, dual-link DVI support, 128MB of GDDR3 SDRAM
    15-inch MacBook Pro matte screen (not glossy)
    120GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive.
    6x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Maximum write: 6x DVD-R and DVD+R; 4x DVD+RW and DVD-RW; 2.4x DVD+R DL (double layer); 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW
    Maximum read: 8x DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD+RW, DVD-RW; 4x DVD+R DL (double layer); 24x CD
    Video Built-in iSight camera, DVI, VGA (DVI to VGA adapter included)

18. erichian thread starter macrumors newbie

erichian

I just read you can run a 2Ggig Dimm and an 1 Gig Dimm for a total of 3 Gigs, is that right. Could I later buy a second 2 gig chip and maybe have 4 total gigs of ram. I actaully thought you had to use both slots, and run similar speced chips.

19. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

That price seems to be average for a used Macbook Pro of those specs according to Mac2Sell. Though I would see if Applecare is still available for it just in case you miss something that is wrong. Plus, at $1600 the case better be in mint condition.

As for the 3GB, yes they can have 3GB installed (1x1GB, 1x2GB). I believe this is the max for this model. Even though you miss out on the speed boost from not having matching dimms, I would strongly recommend this as those Pro Apps love eating up memory, especially Final Cut and Motion. If you can get the 3GB for $1600 even if the case has a few scratches it would be a good deal.

20. erichian thread starter macrumors newbie

erichian

If you know of a place where I can get that price pretty regulary, please let me know. The seller just backed out, he thinks he may have a buyer for 1800.00

I would be happy to pay 1600.00 for a MBP of simialr specs.

21. erichian thread starter macrumors newbie

erichian

The Quotes from Mac2Sell are great, but I've not seen anyone around here trying to sell their Mac for those prices.