It's done. It's over

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 17, 2016.

1. jkcerda, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016

jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

So as we recover from the shock and awe of a trump presidency, is it too early to start talking about 2020?

Republicans had 16 candidates, who will the Democrats run come 2020?

Seriously hope that Hillary does not go for the third one
    Obligatory meme

IMG_6393.JPG

2. SusanK macrumors 68000

Do you think HRC's donors will fund a two time loser? I hope not.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I have little room to talk since the libertarian party has had mr Aleppo at the front a few times :(

4. SusanK macrumors 68000

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

gee can we do Christmas 2016 first? :p

So sick of politics but can't imagine sitting around for four years with only Trump on my mind, so that's how it starts, the list of candidates for the next time.

Personally I think we're done with Clintons. Progressives cried over the damage to downticket races --the no-show effect from aversion to Clinton was bad-- and so then got mad and will probably stay mad for a long time. But we're not in a progressive era for Prez candidates, I suspect.

I'd like to see Kirsten Gillibrand run. She's up for Senate re election in 2018 and should win big again. That contest gives her a chance to hone her image a little as she might desire if she does have a 2020 race in mind. Of course she's not going to put her hat in that ring now. She's a classic blue dog conservative on fiscal side, and liberal on the social issues. Conservatives peg her as a stone liberal but she can fight that tag off pretty well. She's a phenomenal fund raiser and draws to the polls well, won her Senate election with a 72% margin, took all but 2 counties in NYS, far western rural red ones. Probably they didn't like her for having been a Wall St lawyer back in the day or for knowing how to speak Mandarin Chinese, who the heck knows those far counties in NY, they are like another planet, so red it's like they border Ohio instead of Pennsylvania..

Nikki Haley might get some basic foreign policy chops out of her UN ambassador slot for Trump if that appointment pans out. She's probably one to keep an eye on for the GOP. People seemed to like the idea of Rubio and Haley together, don't know if they'll think she's ready to fly solo for Prez. She has managed to thread her way through some racial issues as governor, so she's not one to pop off and offend a whole slew of people the way Trump does.

Rubio for the GOP, he'll work harder in the Senate this time and try for the Oval again.

One wonders about Ted Cruz, he made life hard for himself waffling arond about whether to stay mad at Trump or not. I thought more of him while he was refusing to endorse the guy. When he caved, I was surprised. I loathe his politics so I don't know why I give a damn that he messed up in 2016.

Are we done with Romney and Bush?

6. SusanK macrumors 68000

Best idea yet!

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Bush = Clinton. So yeah I hope we are done there

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Hillary won't be seen in politics again, she's going to drink herself into an endless slumber.

9. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Clinton has failed twice in presidential elections. I doubt major donors would support a third attempt. Too much risk to endorse a losing track record.

Maybe a Chelsea vs. Ivanka down the road.

10. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Chelsea vs Ivanka vs Palin. May the winner of the swimsuit contest win the White House in 2020! :p

11. colourfastt, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016

colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

No one wants to see barely wrapped fish.

12. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Haley was largely bland and inefficient until 2015. But I have to give credit where it's due. She handles numerous crises in SC with grace and dignity, and the handled them well. Most people agree that her response to the massive flooding was great, and her response to the Charleston massacre was even better. After an initial reluctance, she even was able to get the Confederate Flag removed from the memorial in front of the State House...something that has sunk other SC politicians.

I don't think she's even remotely qualified to be UN Ambassador, but I do think she's someone to keep an eye on.

13. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Chelsea? Sorry.....no thanks. Yuck.

14. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Here is what I want for Christmas for the rest of my life:

No more Romney, Bush or Clinton family members in politics.

15. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

How about we wait a while. People said the same things of Reagan that they now say of Trump. He won. He gets his chance.

16. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

That much is obvious and fair.

What we all worry about, is that his chance ends up ruining a lot of people's chance in the coming decades.

17. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

This is funny. But I can't look that far forward. We need a break from this madness.

18. chown33, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016

chown33 macrumors 604

I agree completely. We've been giving curt treatment to many other madnesses. It's high time each and every madness gets its due. No Madness Left Behind.

19. SusanK macrumors 68000

I'd like to add the budding Trump Dynasty to that as well.

20. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Sigh, I can't take it anymore.

21. chown33 macrumors 604

Welcome to Absurdity. It's fun here.

22. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

IMG_6395.JPG Hopefully while looking at this pic

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

24. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Russia influenced the election and Hillary got the popular vote. Perhaps Russia was trying to help Hillary.

25. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

And Reagan was one of the worst presidents in my lifetime.