Its Feb 4th in China.. but 17" MBP Still Not Prepared for Shipment! :-(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amitdoc2b, Feb 3, 2009.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

I ordered within the first hour these 17" Unibody MBP's went for pre-sale with scheduled ship date of Feb 4th. Its now Feb 4th in China, but my card has not been charged nor has the order been prepared for shipment! :-(

I guess the anticipation is getting the best of many of us!!

By the way, when I replace the HDD with my new 7200.4 500GB Seagate Momentus.. how will I install MAC OSX in it? Will the laptop prompt to insert a CD into the empty hard drive when I press the power button of the laptop? I'm starting it fresh so I don't have anything to clone etc that I heard others are doing.

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The shipping and delivery dates are completely totally and utterly random, i think Steve pulls them out of his ***.

Basically i ordered mine within the first hour as well, and i've got Shipping 17th Feb: Delivery 26th Feb.

Which is fine, however my friend who ordered one yesterday (exact same specs as mine, payment method etc) has shipping 8th Feb, Delivery 14th Feb. I mean wtf?!?! We even live in the same place. Its basically a joke, i've just given up all hope.

3. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I ordered one a few hours ago and even my estimated delivery date is the 18th :D

The dates on these 17" are random for sure. I think you guys that ordered on the day should have them in your hands by now in my opinion. It's been almost 1 month since the announcement.

4. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think they are going to ship for atleast another 48 hours considering my card has not been charged. Aghhhhhh.

When I purchased the Seagate HDD it said it wouldn't be ready till mid-Feb but its already in my possession LOL.. now I am waiting for the MBP instead.

Ohhhhh the anticipation!!!!!!!!!!!

5. otis123 macrumors 6502a

just chill man, when i ordered my first iphone it took a month on the online store, i know how it feels, i can't get my new 15" till the 14th (traveling to Oregon, no sales tax) and ive been waiting to dump my G4 for about 2 years. its all about patience.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I've got plenty of patience, what I dont like is Apples unfair discriminatory delivery policy.

7. otis123 macrumors 6502a

i know apple is crap when it comes to delivery, i ordered a 8gb iphone and thought "these will be sold out for months at the store" i went into the store that afternoon, plenty of 8gbs in stock, i was really pissed.

8. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have patience, thats why I didn't complain till today. If it said one month ago that it will ship feb 10th, I wouldn't be posting today. But why did they bother saying Feb 4th (or late Jan in some instances) and not have them ready to go?? Its not going to happen because my card hasn't even been attempted to be charged! :-(

9. dannomac macrumors member

It will give you an Apple logo with a "No" sign through it, like a no smoking sign, but with an Apple instead of a cigarette. Then it will stop booting until you install OS X on it.

To install OS X, you put the restore CD that came with your computer in the DVD drive and hold C while the computer starts, that will make it boot from the optical drive. When the installer pops up, you need to enter disk utility from one of the menus after it asks your language. You then need to "Erase" your disk, and make one big Journaled HFS+ partition. Then quit Disk Utility, and start installing OS X. When it's done it should start from the new disk no problem.

10. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your help. Whats a Journaled HFS+ Partition? Like is there any particular buttons or numbers I have to choose step by step? I never have done this before so I have no idea LOL.

11. dannomac macrumors member

A Journaled HFS+ partition is the way files are organised on your disk. It's the Mac native file system, Windows uses a different one called NTFS, and Linux used yet another called ext2. It's pretty straightforward how to do it once you get into disk utility, but I'm making attachments.

Here's what Disk Utility looks like on my computer when it's first started:
    [​IMG]

From there you make sure your disk is selected in the left hand selection pane. Then click on the tab labelled "Partition":
    [​IMG]

Then select "1 Partition" from the box under "Volume Scheme", Mac OS Journaled from "Format", and name it. Then click on the "Options" button and select "GUID Partition Map":
    [​IMG]

Then click "Apply". I'm not going to post what that looks like because it would destroy my data :p

But that's the gist of preparing the disk for Mac OS.

Attached Files:

12. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the detailed description, I am printing it out. So this will load up when I put in my start up CD after installing my new hard drive? And when I select 1 partition, I dont have to type in 500gb or anything for allocation right? 1 partition will include the entire 500gb. And what do I name it? Is it like how we get our macbook pros brand new and it says "Macintosh HD"? But I can name it anything I want?

13. dannomac macrumors member

Not automatically. The first thing will be a language selection, then the installer will run. There is a menu called "Utilities" that will appear once the installer starts. Disk Utility is one of them, you need to run that and do what I said before the installer will continue.

By default yes, it will be the entire 500gb, but it will probably say something like "475gb". See Big Disk in my screenshot? That was advertised as a 400gb disk, but it's really a 372 GB disk.

You can name it anything you want. I have two disks, one is named Meshach after the computer, and the other is named Big Disk, because when I got it 400GB was a lot. Out of the factory, though, they're named "Macintosh HD".

14. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay that cleared a lot of things up.. thanks so much. And i press the control C thing when I do turn on the laptop the first time after changing the hard drive to get this started right? Thanks so much!!

15. dannomac macrumors member

Just C, actually. Push the power button and then press and hold the C key before the startup chime finishes and it'll start from CD.

Incidently, T will start the machine up as a firewire drive, and N will boot off the network.