It's funny, Apple tweaked the positioning of stack icons on the dock, makes it worse!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ravenvii, Feb 12, 2008.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Remember back in 10.5.1 and below, the icon for stacks, when you have something in it, is not aligned right with the rest of the dock (it floats slightly above the "line" the rest of the other icons sits on).

Well, in 10.5.2 Apple fixed this.

... But they didn't fix the reflection!

lollerskates, look at this.

Attached Files:

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

WTF LOL? what line? thats the reflection of a window most probably Safari in your example. but i do agree the new folder displays for stacks are bigger than the normal folders. also whats this lollerskate i hear people speak of?

3. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Are you serious? Did you not see it?

The reflection of the smaller folder is LOWER (from our perspective) than the reflection of the bigger folder, even through they both are both sitting at the same height over the dock.

[​IMG]

4. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Yes, however that 'line' is just the reflection of your open window whereas you are referring to it as a feature of the Dock.

In addition, in your image the folder on the right looks larger than the folder on the left which is very strange.

EDIT: The problem does not seem to lie with Stacks per se, but when you add Stacks of your own to the Dock.

See here:
    [​IMG]

This is with the 3 default Stacks displayed as Folders (right click on Stack and choose ''Display As'). On the far right is a Folder I added myself.

However, when I convert that Folder I added myself to a Stack, the problem appears as seen below.

[​IMG]

This, it seems to be that the reflection of custom Stacks floats slightly lower than default ones.

5. John01021988 macrumors 6502

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

haha i know what lollerskates are i just think its stupid i hate "LOL"

i think the reason that the folder is "lower" is because its "in" the stack while the applications folder has a folder display which is a new feature for 10.5.2 (obviously).

davidjearly's pics show a good perspective of the stack that contains the folders in that it extends outwards and the first folder is a little bit more forward than the folder displays. this would make the reflection seem a little deeper. so the stacks arent all at the same height on the dock but your right the relection seems a little too deep. this may have something to do with the stacks folders being smaller than the folder displays.

but i dont know why the reflections dont line up because all the Dock does for the reflections is invert and add a filter.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Oh, well that's it. I am so going back to Vista over this. :rolleyes:

8. Rank Xerox macrumors newbie

I agree. I downgrading to penciles and paper, and I'll use shoebox's for filing from now on.

9. Erwin-Br macrumors 6502a

Erwin-Br

Perhaps the mis-aligned icon uses more white space below the actual graphic.

--Erwin