It's getting dang near impossible to activate iPhone2G with AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Mar 26, 2012.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I wanted to rock the original iPhone2G (purchased on launch day and simply can't let it go. . .) for awhile.
    It used to be a simple plug in with iTunes and within moments you were set and ready to go.
    Not now.

My iPhone wouldn't activate no matter what. I had the original SIM (came with the iPhone). A trip to the AT&T store provided me with a new SIM card and instructions as AT&T can't (won't?) activate there in the store.

Once home and back in iTunes the iPhone restored properly but wouldn't activate. In fact, the activation screen is no where to be found. (Apparently the new iTunes no longer activates these older iPhones?)

A 611 call to AT&T and two supervisors later along with 45 minutes and back and forth hold time and with me providing various serial numbers in my iPhone and I was set.
    I was told these iPhones are no longer supported by Apple (that I already knew) nor AT&T (that I didn't know) and the window for activation at all is closing.

Just food for thought if anyone is thinking of doing what I did.
    Pretty soon, unless the iPhone is unlocked, it'll only be good for iPod status!

2. njean777 macrumors 6502

How can you stand edge support only? I would be angry just waiting for things to load.

3. cbronfman macrumors 6502

That's too bad

I still have my launch day original iPhone also and thought I could always reactivate it in a pinch. I guess not. I'll hold onto my 3GS for that - but 2007 wasn't that long ago. You'd think they would still support it in terms of activation.

4. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

I rarely if ever use the data on the iPhone, no matter the incarnation.

I picked up the LTE AT&T iPad(3) and primarily use that.

iPhone is for phone and messages and really, not much else.
    In a pinch, if I really, really need to use data, you're right: EDGE is like dialup!
    I do have PDANet back when it was available so even in a worse case scenario I can tether. Never had an incident tethering on EDGE. I truly don't think AT&T cares even if they figure it out.
    They probably consider it self-induced throttling!