It's getting embarrassing for Republicans in congress.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Your side failed again.

Or is this the time you remind us how Canadian you are?

3. jpietrzak8, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017

jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

For Republicans, the health care issue is particularly difficult because their party has been angry about the costs and other impositions of the ACA, but have no agreement on the underlying issue of health care itself.

Their most logical move would be to simply repeal the ACA outright, but the insurance market has already adapted somewhat to the new system. Throwing sick people out onto the street has significant economic and political costs. There's probably no way the GOP could survive such a move.

Failing that, the Republicans need an alternative to the ACA. The only problem is, they don't have one. The Republican Party has never been all that interested in healthcare policy, and it shows. All the alternative policies proposed so far are inferior to the ACA; they all reduce the overall level of care to a lesser or greater extent, yet fail to significantly reduce costs. There's a reason they try to pass these bills in secret without letting the public see any details...

4. kobalap macrumors 6502

If only the Democrats (for once would set aside party for the sake of country) would pitch just a little in to help the country sort out this healthcare mess left by Obummer.

5. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

They are pitching in: Bernie Sander's Medicare For All bill in the Senate, with John Conyer's Expanded & Improved Medicare For All Act in the House (I believe he's been pushing it more than a decade)

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You can only help those who wish to accept your assistance.

7. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Maybe if they actually tried passing a reasonable bill they can get bipartisan support and succeed.

8. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

It's taken the Republicans seven years to get to this position. It seems they don't really want Obamacare to be repealed.

9. kobalap macrumors 6502

Come on. These ideas are non-starters.

10. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Their healthcare bills are tax code laws to make sure the wealthy get a tax return instead of a bill.

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Hate to break it to you, but no one's expected much from congress for the last decade.

[​IMG]

12. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

My chosen side for this forum failed, true. Outside of this forum I'm pretty much only concerned with Canadian matters.

On a side note I've never voted for a Republican to take office.

13. 0007776 Suspended

Apparently so are the Republican ideas. The Republicans are in power, since they can't pass anything on their own I bet they could borrow some from one of the Democratic proposals floating around out there and come out with a bill that isn't Dead on Arrival, but they don't seem to be interested in governing.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

They are only non-starters in the sense that conservative politicians refuse to consider them.

Seems ridiculous to me that they could ignore all of the relative success single payer has had around the world.

15. kobalap macrumors 6502

We don't need an expansion in spending. We need to cut spending. Single payer, Obamacare, all these ideas continue down the road of spending money we don't have. The democrats know single payer is a non-starter. To continue to propose it is just ridiculous.

16. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

GOP has no interest in working with the Democrats.

GOP puts party ahead of country by tolerating that disaster Trump.

17. Zenithal macrumors 604

Today's GOP is the GOP in name only. It's changed so much from what I remember, and I've got a decently good memory. It saddens me. Grown men and women, only thinking of themselves. Not even their kids or grandchildren, or other loved ones. People related by blood, not mere friendship. Yes, some of them are wealthy, but how long will the wealth last with their younger descendants? And then what?

And all these Joes and Janes on the internet, stating they're for repeal and shouldn't help anyone but themselves. And when your medical bills bankrupt you and you can't get any line of credit and turned away from housing and whatnot, what then?

Buzzfeed, for how stupid it is, actually covered the feed of some 20 yo schmuck who posted a tweet storm of such and then got into a car accident. Then had the audacity to ask for gofundme donations. Personally, I'd rather see GoFundMe ban such donation drives. Let these people and that kid who's now temporarily disabled and still in the hospital pay their bills with their own money. And if not? I can donate a large cardboard box for them to sleep in.

Oh, you saw that, too? "As a Canadian Citizen..." which was pretty bizarre.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2017 ---
    What happened during the post-war years?

I can see it now. A group of Canucks, huddled around a table, dipping their Tim Horton's into a vat of piping hot maple syrup whilst taking sips of watery coffee in between bites.

18. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

You forget that Congressmen are worse than children in some regards. Why should the Democrats not oppose and obstruct for years like the Republicans did during Obama's administration?

19. Zenithal macrumors 604

Well, Democrats in congress would need to grow a pair first instead of yapping. Also, you guys really need to get out and vote. The biggest problem Dems have always face is getting enough people out to vote. It's been a downward trend the last few decades. Don't like Trump? Go out and vote. Get that majority in. Impeach the ghoul.

20. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I expect the Democrats to oppose and obstruct because Republicans have shown the strategy works. Unfortunately for the Republicans, all that obstructing made them forget how to govern.

21. Zenithal macrumors 604

I've often wondered just how many people in the GOP wing it.

22. zin macrumors 6502

Pretty soon the subsidies and Medicaid expansion that conceal the triple-digit increases in premiums are going to crash the entire system.

Tick tock.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If we cut spending, how will we take care of the various needs a modern society requires?

Healthcare for instance; if the government got out of healthcare and just let the free market solve the nation’s healthcare needs, are you okay with the suffering that would follow?

Could you point to a nation that manages their healthcare in a way that you favor?

24. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I think Republicans will say it’s not the government’s job to provide healthcare (at least not the Feds). People in California should not be taking care of people in Alabama when Californians are in need (in the minds of Repubs).

To summarize, if the poor states can’t provide or don’t want to provide healthcare, then **** ‘em? Repubs can correct me if I’m wrong.

25. Zenithal macrumors 604